Latest post Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:49 PM by S.Clements. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:02 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

AMA Becoming Irreparably Unlinked When Project Accidentally Started Up With External Drive Detached

This isn't so much a question as a criticism of the unstable nature of AMA (unless anyone has any helpful suggestions).      

This occurance makes me very fearfull of using AMA and points to every other NLE on the market having superior file linking abilities.

I start up Avid and open my AMA linked timeline only to realise the drive containing the footage was accidentally offline.  If AMA behaved stabilly, I could just reconnect the drive and restart Avid and all would be linked.  However, this doesn't happen.  Everything becomes permanently unlinked.  Then, I have to go through and try to relink with very mixed results, bit by bit, altering the confusing relink options to get relink "hits" as I call them.  Some files relink/others don't with seemingly no rhyme or reason.  Then there are innevitably some files which just simply won't relink at all and I have to manually re-edit bits of my show.  No other NLE is like this.  

All for a simple mistake - opening my timeline without my external hard drive connected, my show is ruined and precious time needs to be spent repairing it.  This has caused me to obsessively save copies of my entire project folder throughout the day.  A saved copy made before the project was opened without the drive connected will relink, but one opened without the drive is corrupted.

Some will point to the attic.  However, when this unlinking happens, it's not just the bin containing the edits that's affected, but every single footage bin as well.  So, every single bin must be retrieved from the attic.  It can be very confusing if your project is big and old and has many footage bins.  

I just don't understand why AMA doesn't work yet.  I've spoken to television and feature film editors who say that they simply can't afford to not transcode to Avid managed media for this very reason.  However, transcoding takes time and seems redundant in this day and age.  

It's almost as though Avid is saying, "We want you to do things the old "Avid way" and just to make sure, we've sabotaged AMA to be flakey to scare you into doing it that way":-)  

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:18 PM In reply to

Re: AMA Becoming Irreparably Unlinked When Project Accidentally Started Up With External Drive Detached

On my PC if I re-connect my AMA source drive my AMA clips re-link automatically. I have a laptop and the external drive is frequently not connected when I launch MC.

That said I do occasionally have some clips that don't relink and I have to use the re-link all into a dummy bin to force te old clips to link. But I don't have to do that often and only with certain AMA formats.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:34 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Re: AMA Becoming Irreparably Unlinked When Project Accidentally Started Up With External Drive Detached

Pat Horridge:

On my PC if I re-connect my AMA source drive my AMA clips re-link automatically.

Hmmm...I wonder if this is a mac thing then.  The relink is definitely not automatic for me, the way an Avid MediaFiles relink is.  

If I force quit fast enough, I can restart Avid and things relink, but if the project is in any way saved/autosaved, I can't relink.  The unlink is saved.

Pat Horridge:

That said I do occasionally have some clips that don't relink and I have to use the re-link all into a dummy bin to force te old clips to link.

I have very mixed results with that trick.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 1:39 PM In reply to

I feel your pain...

Check this thread: http://community.avid.com/forums/t/123345.aspx?PageIndex=2

I would type manageama off in the console and see if things improve.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Mar 30 2014 3:41 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Jeroen van Eekeres:

I would type manageama off in the console and see if things improve.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeroen.  I will look into seeing if that improves things any.  I do doubt it's tied to this particular issue though.

• Sat, Apr 5 2014 9:19 PM In reply to

Frankly, I would never work in a sequence of AMA linked clips. My first order of business would be to Consolidate/Transcode the sequence before quiting that project. Is this not practical for your needs?  To be honest, the first thing I do after AMA linking is Consolidate the clips so I never have to drag an AMA clip to a sequence.  Just my way of working. No regrets, and if it takes longer so be it, I never waste time re-linking or worrying that the clips may be off-line. 

New Mac 8 core. 32 Gb RAM D-700 , BMD Ultra 4K, Maxx Digital TB2 RAID [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 5 2014 10:51 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Richard Boghosian:

Frankly, I would never work in a sequence of AMA linked clips. My first order of business would be to Consolidate/Transcode the sequence before quiting that project. Is this not practical for your needs?  To be honest, the first thing I do after AMA linking is Consolidate the clips so I never have to drag an AMA clip to a sequence.  Just my way of working. No regrets, and if it takes longer so be it, I never waste time re-linking or worrying that the clips may be off-line. 

Thank you for your very honest answer, Richard.  This has been my experience as well.  It is often disastrous not to transcode when working with Avid.  While it's good to know this truth, this is a major knock against using Avid for many.  Most people with the time luxury of being able to transcode are either those working on big budget features with assistants transcoding during the night shift, or people with extremely loose turnarounds, who are able to justify Avid transcoding as billable hours to the client.  A lot of Avid editors use the word "robust" when talking about the program, but that's only true if transcoding has been done.  It is a very unpredictable sysytem when using AMA only.  FCP was mostly rock-solid with it's own ama-esque linking. I just don't understand why AMA is as unstable as it is.

• Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:40 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,381
    • Points 17,035

S.Clements:
    FCP was mostly rock-solid with it's own ama-esque linking.

You've been very lucky.  Your experience is quite different than...  well, everyone I know.

• Sat, Apr 5 2014 11:49 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

smrpix:

S.Clements:
    FCP was mostly rock-solid with it's own ama-esque linking.

You've been very lucky.  Your experience is quite different than...  well, everyone I know.

I used FCP from 1999 to about a year ago and very rarely did I have relinking issues.  Every single time I use Avid AMA only, something eventually goes wrong.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller