Latest post Thu, Mar 27 2014 2:37 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:14 PM

• ceciwork
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 5 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

best affordable storage solution?

I am purchasing a new Mac and am researching a storage solution.

I usually work on a rented Nitris for feature films, hooked up to an Isis.  I would like a home set-up.

I will probably purchase a MBP w/retina 15" top of the line with the NVIDIA 2GB card.

I have media on old FW 800 drives, Digital 8/Hi-8, Beta SP and am thinking I would like to edit in uncompressed SD and upres at the end.  I would like to have my material properly backed up and/or redundant with a RAID.

Any suggestions for what would be a reliable and affordable set-up for storage?

Using the Avid media calculator, looks like I might need about 3TB, but would like to have plenty of extra room for concurrent other projects, so maybe 5-8TB?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Best,

Ceci

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Tue, Mar 25 2014 1:25 PM In reply to

Re: best affordable storage solution?

It depends on your workflow and needs. A portable 2 single drive USB 3 drive is good enough to handle most compressed HD formats such as HDV, XDCAM, XVAC, AVC-I and even DNX 220.

But for higher stream count and formats with higher demand you may want to look at Thunberbolt based RAIDs.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 7:30 PM In reply to

• ceciwork
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 5 2014
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Thanks so much!

If I want to use uncompressed SD media, will USB 3 be fast enough, even if not in a RAID?

I am considering getting a thunderbolt RAID and use RAID 1 or 5 to maximize speed/redundancy for the future (if not currently) but it does seem a bit pricey right now...

• Wed, Mar 26 2014 7:50 PM In reply to

ceciwork:

If I want to use uncompressed SD media, will USB 3 be fast enough, even if not in a RAID?

USB 3 itself is more than fast enough for multi stream uncompressed SD video. The question is if the drive inside your USB 3 carrier is fast enough. Most modern single spinning 3.5" drives is about 50-120 MB/s. Uncompressed SD is about 20-28 MB/s per stream.

Consumer SSD is about 325-525 MB/s.

RAID 5 is probably the best configuration for private use.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 11:53 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 397
    • Points 5,110

I've done a ton of research and soon purchasing several of these:

http://www.cineraid.com/products/Areca_ARC-8050T2.htm

With 16TB it's about $3000. It support almost every RAID format but you'd probably want RAID 5. It is uses Areca hardware which is very reliable. I've been using their products for years. This is Thunderbolt 2 so it'll handle ANYTHING Media Composer can throw at it.

As always however do plan on keeping a backup regardless of the solution you purchase. RAID 5 doesn't guarantee you won't lose your data.

-Cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 27 2014 2:31 AM In reply to

It does RAID-6 ... it's worth the loss of capacity to add that level of protection (N-2).

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:17 AM In reply to

Worth reading this article on RAID 5 & 6

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/raid-6-do-you-really-want-it/#.

I won't use RAID 5 or 6 and use RAID 10. Drives are cheap nowadays.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 27 2014 2:37 PM In reply to

I have read multiple warnings about the downside of using RAID 5 and 6 with modern large spinning drives (>2TB).

However, unless you are managing a wall of shared storage, this is rarely an issue for home or small business use. And with drives being cheap, a 2nd copy of the media in a non RAID drives is viable, thus making the RAID data expendable to a degree.

Statistically, the chances of a second drive failure during a RAID 5 failure is extremely small. We have dozens of servers and local storage that utilizes RAID 5 in some form. I have yet to run in to a failed 2nd drive during rebuild.

Also, the article has a slight mistake. Total reduction of space from RAID 5 is not a fixed percentage of 20%. It is (total disk - 1 disk) per RAID 5 set. So in a 5 drive RAID 5 it is 20% less. But in a 6 drive RAID 5 it is 16.67%. Same with RAID 6, it is based on how many total drives are involved in the RAID set.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller