Latest post Mon, Mar 24 2014 5:59 PM by AndrewAction. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 3:52 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

OMF Export Headaches: "Segmentation Fault" error on a couple isolated tracks

Hi,

I always have headaches when exporting OMFs for the sound department from my system.  AAFs export fine, but OMFs almost always cause crashes or errors of some sort.

To prepare, I make my project SD.  I delete all video and effects and set Media Creation settings to OMF (even though I heard this isn't necessary).

I try to export my sequence.  Eventually, I get an Alert Message: "Segmentation Fault" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0.  Avid crashes.  

I've isolated the problem down to two separate tracks.  I thought I'd isolated the file that might have been corrupt (although it plays fine), so I reimported it and tried again.

I still got the same error.  I've tried fixing the drive permissions, deleting the directory files, trashing the project and avid prefs, restarting and nothing works.  I've tried using a different user and a new project as well.  It's just being a stubborn track.  It won't export to OMF.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and how I can actually get an OMF to the sound designer?  Unfortunately, he's using Logic, which doesn't accept AAFs.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 7:32 AM In reply to

Re: OMF Export Headaches: "Segmentation Fault" error on a couple isolated tracks

You could try making a new empty sequence with the same start time as your sequence. The same number of tracks as your existing timeline. Then add 1 more track the same type as your problem track. Then edit the old sequence into the new sequence patching the problem track to the new "extra" track you just created.

My guess would still be that Avid is remembering a rogue frame or render that does not match the OMF file requirements.

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:04 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Re: OMF Export Headaches: "Segmentation Fault" error on a couple isolated tracks

AndrewAction:

You could try making a new empty sequence with the same start time as your sequence. The same number of tracks as your existing timeline. Then add 1 more track the same type as your problem track. Then edit the old sequence into the new sequence patching the problem track to the new "extra" track you just created.

My guess would still be that Avid is remembering a rogue frame or render that does not match the OMF file requirements.

Thanks, Andrew. Unfortunately, making a new sequence and following the procedure you outline did not work.  I also tried clearing all renders.  I keep getting the same error and crash.  I'm not sure how to solve this problem.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 24 2014 11:35 AM In reply to

From what I know of the segmentation fault error, it's a pretty generic one.  In case you haven't already, I'd do a Google search for "segmentation fault media composer" and then look through the results from the forum and from the knowledge base for any that match what you're seeing.  Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 2:14 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Hi, Cam.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I couldn't find anything of help.  One small breakthrough I've made is that I've discovered I can export OMF 1.0, but not 2.0.  I'm not sure if that will be a problem.  I'm waiting to speak to the sound designer.  I've read that OMF is more compatible across the board, but so far that's all I know about the differences between the two formats.  Hopefully Apple Logic accepts OMF 1.0

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 5:59 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    Hopefully Apple Logic accepts OMF 1.0
    In this case yes. 

FWIW here OMF 1 worked originally when it was first releasd but it was marginal.  OMF2 was a vast improvement and worked well here for years.  AAF was then another great improvement on OMF
    All these findings are based on Avid to Protools workflows and I started using OMF 1's before Avid brought DigiDesign - Protools)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller