Latest post Sun, Mar 23 2014 10:14 AM by chyl1105. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 23 2014 1:06 AM

• chyl1105
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 23 2014
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

DNxHD export looks different in VLC and QT

Hi All,

I have a problem that drives me crazy fro a long time: I worked with RED footage and the colorist exported .mov files (dnxhd185, 709 color space) from Davinci Resolve. One clip=one .mov file.

After I import them to Avid (Link to AMA) everything looks fine, but after the export the movie looks really dark and high contrasted in VLC but ok in QT player. I need a DNxHD codec with mov container so I exported Same as source and also Send to QT and changed the settings a bit inside DNxHD codec, also changed between 709 and RGB but everything's the same. The movie is a night movie and there are some moments when you can't see the face of the actress because it's too dark in VLC....

The strange thing is that I worked on another night movie but in that case I got back .mxf files from the colorist - after the export (DNxHD185 with .mov, 709) the video looks exactly the same both in VLC and QT player so I guess the problem is somewhere around the .mov files or the import. Oh yes, important: if I open the clips separately (I mean the graded clips the colorist gave) in VLC and QT it's the same: dark in VLC and OK in QuickTime.

What do you think about this problem, is there any solution to get a normal version that looks OK in the mentioned players? It's important because there we already had some test screenings and most of the time it was dark in the cinema....We would like to start to send the movie to festivals but not like this....maybe it'll be OK, maybe the audience can't see anything.

• Sun, Mar 23 2014 6:48 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD export looks different in VLC and QT

What does the Waveform monitor in MC tell you about the luma levels after you bring the color corrected DNx file into MC? If your colorist has been using full swing, things might look OK in your Source/Record monitors (which will show you that full swing), but VLC might be expecting the source to be Rec709 (which DNxHD is), and that might be the culprit.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 23 2014 9:02 AM In reply to

• chyl1105
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Well I checked and it looks like this:

I'm quite new to understand these color spacing, full swing vs. studio swing stuff. What shall I do to solve this VLC-problem? Can I solve it inside MC? Many thanks!

• Sun, Mar 23 2014 9:06 AM In reply to

That white portion, represented white, lives below the '16' mark. This means that the colorist sent you a QT that has full swing levels, which are not legal video. Ask him/her to remap to studio swing (video legal) prior to exporting. The DNxHD codec is a Rec709 video codec.

If you import the QT you got from him with the RGB button ticked, MC will remap the levels to studio swing.

Or, you can remap the import you now have yourself by adding a CC effect to the color graded file, go into Curves, go to the Master Curve, select the lower left of the Curve, choose 0 and 16 in the boxes below, select the top right of the curve and choose 255  and 235 in the boxes below the Curve.

Then export Same As Source with either 601/709 (if you want to maintain video legal levels) or RGB (if you want to make the luma levels correct at desktop level). See http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/601_709_RGB.pdf

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 23 2014 10:14 AM In reply to

• chyl1105
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

You're awesome, now I have the correct levels in both players! And thanks for the article, now I can understand all these color management stuff inside MC! Thank you very much, you saved me :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller