Latest post Tue, Mar 18 2014 6:20 PM by mpmann. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:39 PM

• mpmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

MC 7.0.3 Install Bringing Network Speed to a Crawl

I just upgrading my Mac Pro to OSX Mavericks yesterday, only to realize that MC 6.5 is not compatible. I was ready for an upgrade though, so I figured I'd just take the plunge and get 7.0.3.

Since the 6.5 uninstaller will not work in Mavericks, I had read that the best method is to download and install 7.0.3 and then run the uninstaller to remove 6.5 (correct me if this is wrong). As soon as I installed the new version of MC, my browser almost immediately came to a crashing halt. I tried both Safari and Firefox and neither was running properly. Email seems to work fine. Downloads seem to be okay as well.

When I did finally get the browser to respond, it would take at least a full minute or two just for a page to load. I'm in an office building with a high speed fiber connection, so speed has never been an issue. I tried rebooting, doing a complete uninstall and then browser speed returned to normal.

After a second attempt at a clean install of 7.0.3, the network speed is crawling again.

I'd like to do the complete upgrade, but I don't want to pay for it if it's not going to work, and of course there's no Avid tech support without paying a premium for that.

I'm thinking about going back to the previous OS and trying to do a complete uninstall, or ditching Mavericks altogether if I can't get it working, but obviously I would prefer not to do either. 

Anyone have similar issues or can suggest a fix? I'm kind of up the creek with no paddle here until I find a solution.

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 5:50 PM In reply to

Re: MC 7.0.3 Install Bringing Network Speed to a Crawl

A stab in the dark would be that MC7.0.3 with it's background services has a web interface to allow you to see the background queue. This must be webserver that servers that up and it's possibel that is intefering with web traffic somehow.

Not the answer but it may help uncover it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Mar 18 2014 6:20 PM In reply to

• mpmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 6 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 20

Re: MC 7.0.3 Install Bringing Network Speed to a Crawl

I had noticed that addition and thought that could possibly be a problem. I discovered the 6.5.4.1 patch, which is supposed to work with Mavericks. Giving that a try to see if it works more smoothly.

I would like to consider an upgrade to 7 though. I didn't find anyone else who has had this problem, so I don't know what is unique to my set up that would prevent a smooth upgrade. Perhaps with a clean uninstall and reinstall of 6.5.4.1, I will be in a better position to evaluate an upgrade.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller