Latest post Wed, Jan 21 2015 6:30 AM by mjolnarn. 35 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 2 2014 6:22 PM In reply to

Re: Change Project Type after editing? (frame rate)

Hi guys!

How goes? Have some progress to report. There's good news and bad news.

The good news is......the frame blend artifact is fixed!!! SUCCESS!!!! :D

Its slightly embarassing though, Tomas nailed it:

mjolnarn:

From where have you got that clip and, sorry to ask, are you sure that it is progressive

Well in fact no, it wasn't progressive, it was still interlaced. Surprise 

So the problem was the combination of the resize with the i footage on a p sequence/project. Problem solved! And hey, on the plus side, I think we've all learned a lot about the resize function! :]

The bad news is, still stuck in relink hell. Tomas altho that method did work before, sorry to report it completely failed this time around. No idea why, it simply kept with the clips already on there and pretended it had relinked. Also discovered that when I was wondering before if the sound files had relinked, they had NOT.

Discovered this courtesy of my new best friend: (select clip in timeline)OPT/F4(takes you to clip in bin), right click/reveal.

This is the function I was looking for to find the source of a clip in the timeline. This revealed that those sound clips had never relinked.

So a couple of observations:

a) sometimes avid 'relinks' creating new sequence and not showing any error…but not actually relinking at all!

b) I'm getting the impression that avid requires clips to be OFFLINE before it will relink them. Is this true?

It certainly seems to prefer it. If it can comfortably stay with the clips it already has it seems to find any way it can to do that.

I did manage to relink the VIDEO only though (to the retranscoded deinterlaced files) by:

in Relink dialog, with all clips + sequence selected;

choosing 'Selected Items in ALL open bins' (instead of 'media on drive')

with 'Allow relinking to offline items' deselected

AND

in 'Relink by'/'Original', Source Name changed to 'Name'.

However the sound stubbornly refuses to relink, have tried every combination of relink dialog settings can think of, it simply refuses to see it.

The original sound is 'name.m4a' 44.1 Khz

New sound is 'name.aiff' 48 Khz

Just realised they are in a sub sub folder, would that make any difference? Or maybe dropping them into the Avid Project bin? Any suggestions would be great. The end is in sight!!

Have you tried adjusting the Y value change at the keyframes to be a relationship of the frames that have past since the last keyframe?

Wow Pat. That sounds substantially above my current pay grade! but I would love to try it. How's it done?

Job ter Burg:
    Another thought: does it help if you promote the resize to a 3D Warp and tick the HQ button? If you park on the Resize, open the Effects Editor, to the bottom right there is a '3D' button, which converts your Resize to a 3D Warp effect (maintaining parameters as set in the Resize). Then, to the right, there is a column of buttons, one of which is labeled HQ.

This sounds ace. Unfortunately got no response when tried it.- Select clip, open Effects Editor, press 3D and the icon momentarily slightly changes then goes back to the way it was before. Nothing else happens. Tried pressing HQ as well, no response other than the 'HQ' highlights. Not sure what the problem is.

Huge thanks all!!

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Refugee from the FCP bloodbath!

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

4) NAVIGATE FROM ONE TAB TO ANOTHER IN PROJECT MENU

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

6) ZOOM IN TO EFFECTS EDITOR KEYFRAME TRACKS

7) LABEL CLIPS

8) MOVE CLIPS AROUND VERTICALLY ON TIMELINE

• Wed, Apr 2 2014 6:41 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

ShortcutHunter:

Hi guys!

How goes? Have some progress to report. There's good news and bad news.

The good news is......the frame blend artifact is fixed!!! SUCCESS!!!! :D

Its slightly embarassing though, Tomas nailed it:

mjolnarn:

From where have you got that clip and, sorry to ask, are you sure that it is progressive

Well in fact no, it wasn't progressive, it was still interlaced. Surprise 

It takes some courage to admit these kind of things but fact is that we all have done these kind of mistakes once upon, ( how else do you think that I could nail it so precise, this was actually the first time I looked at the clip )

So, rule one in this business is

never trust a customer

and rule 2 is

same goes for the cameraman

There are ways of easily check the interlaced structure direct in MC, just ama link to an interlaced project and step field to field , if there are movements between them, it is interlaced video

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Apr 4 2014 12:51 AM In reply to

Hi guys,

Thanks Tomas for your kind words.

Have nailed down some some more dets about the infuriating sound relink issue.

One problem is that the .AIFFs I had transcoded to (mpeg streamclip) are different lengths from the original .m4as, because of the transcode. (More than can be allowed for any difference caused by the different frame rate of the project.) From 4 to 30 frames out!!

But that also does not explain the relinking failure. Avid refuses to relink even to the SAME FILES that it originally used. The EXACT SAME FILES that it was edited with, if moved one folder over, nope, can't find 'em. Ran this as a test but it seems completely impossible to relink to any sound, even the exact same files.

Then, Avid will not re-AMA the sound files again. Straight up refuses to AMA them anew.

It will AMA them, but only AT 29.97 fps!!! (into a 25fps project!) And, with the clip label color from the original project!! In other words it refuses to see these files any way other than the original way it saw them in a totally different project with different settings!! INSANE!!

Have changed their names, then it will not AMA link at all. Press 'open' in the AMA dialog, it looks like its doing it, but nothing appears in the bin.

So, am attempting to repaste the clips in manually (imported sound files at 48 Khz over the original 44/1 Khz files). NOT the Aiffs because they're all wildly the wrong length, which means manually recreating all of the original keyframes. Is there any way to navigate from one keyframe to the next? And how do you find the VOLUME?

Have checked the volume box in the Audio controls section of the hamburger menu but where does the volume appear? Can't see it anywhere. And where is the volume of the keyframe?

Beyond frustrated.

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:43 AM In reply to

Hi guys,

well Happy New Year! Just re-reading this thread in embarassment. You'll be glad to know have now completed the excellent Avid Certified User course at AFTRS in Sydney run by Dave Forsyth. Hugely recommend it, so now am slightly less of a tool with Avid, and many of the above issues are less of a puzzle.

Wanted to say thanks for your patient help, and you'll be glad to know, my friends loved their Wedding video!! SmileYes

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

7) LABEL CLIPS

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 6:28 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Yes Smile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 6:30 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Yes Smile

Tomas 

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller