Latest post Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:34 AM by PegasusNZ. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:30 PM

• Tony Randel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 17 2011
    • Newbury Park, CA
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,985

Renaming hard drive

I am trying to bring several project's media into a new large array.  The new drive's name is MEDIA.  Is it possible to bring in existing project's media into the drive and have the media relink?  I've brought one project's media in but could not relink the clips unless I renamed the drive the name the original media was on.  Obviously this will not work for multiple projects.  I considered partitioning but apparently it's not possible with the drive I have.     

Thanks, Tony

Mac Pro late 2013 32 GB RAM, Mavricks 10.9.5 AVID MC 7.0.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 1 2014 11:46 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Renaming hard drive

The drive name is unimportant.

Avid will search for an /Avid MediaFiles/ folder on every drive it can see. Any media properly stored in that folder will be indexed and available within Media Composer.

The folder structure is /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/xxx where xxx is usually a number (1 to whatever). As long as media is sorted correctly within those folders then Media Composer will see it.

If you have five drives, each with media stored in /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 you could copy those /1 folders into your new drive and rename them to another number (2, 3, 4 etc, or even 101, 201, 301).

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Sun, Mar 2 2014 12:36 AM In reply to

• Tony Randel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 17 2011
    • Newbury Park, CA
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,985

Thank you for getting back to me.  On this first project everything is AMA linked.  MC does not seem to be able to link to anything.  I tried using relink to AMA but still no luck.  Is there a file structure for AMA I need to use?  Currently the folder containing the AMA files is in the root directory.  

Mac Pro late 2013 32 GB RAM, Mavricks 10.9.5 AVID MC 7.0.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 8:34 AM In reply to

• PegasusNZ
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 10 2006
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 330
    • Points 3,935

We need more info to help!

What file types are you trying to AMA

Have you installed the AMA plugin for that type of media

8 x Z800 24GB RAM MC 7 Black Magic Decklink Studio 240TB Linux Server [view my complete system specs]

^^ A good edit takes time but who has the time? When I look back I see my mistakes!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller