Latest post Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:45 AM by ctomo1. 42 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 7 2014 6:47 PM In reply to

Re: New Mac Pro officially qualified for Media Composer 7.0.3 or 6.5.4.1

I think you (or are I) are confusing the TB issue.

Avid's 2 mon limitation is for the Avid GUI. The GUI is designed to support only 1 or 2 monitors (old code that needs an overhaul).

TB itself is just an extension of the PCIe bus along specific controllers within the chipset (firewire, USB, audio, etc.). When you connect a video I/O device like Nitris or Decklink or Kona, those devices act as video I/O hardware and not a GUI display device.

So the Avid 2 mon limitation has nothing to do with the TB issue with Nitris DX.

AFAIK, the TB issue with DX has something to do with bus timings for high bandwidth traffic (4444, uncompressed video, etc).

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:05 PM In reply to

Right you are. Perhaps I am not explaining myself well. 

I guess my question is, will they resolve the bus speed issue?

Secondly, if they do not, does that render the Nitris forever usless?

Lastly, are the Black Magic boxes qualified and working with MC via TB in this specific configuration. If so, then perhaps problem solved.

Also, what if any, are the implications ragarding the usage of the Black Magic boxes as distribution to color correction monitors. Will this be seamless and color true?

Cheers

J

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:52 PM In reply to

Joe Di Profio:
    I guess my question is, will they resolve the bus speed issue?

AFAIK, it is not speed but bus timing (speed limit vs traffic lights is a good comparison).

Joe Di Profio:
    Secondly, if they do not, does that render the Nitris forever usless?

People have reported that Nitris DX does function using the Mojo TB adapter. How well and stable it is still up for debate since the feedback is very small.

We are planning to test it ourselves once our MP 2013 arrives. I will post an update then.

Joe Di Profio:
    Lastly, are the Black Magic boxes qualified and working with MC via TB in this specific configuration. If so, then perhaps problem solved.

No. According to Dave C. in the Avid mailing list it is not a bandwidth issue. NDX has hardware based functions not present in Mojo DX or 3rd party I/O, including raster resizing, hardware codecs and pulldown features. They depend on specific bus timings. It was implied that TB's timing is not exactly the same compared to native PCIe connection thus causing degraded performance and/or stability issues with very high bandwidth media.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:58 PM In reply to

Thanks Dom. I will watch for your updates as well.

Cheers

J

• Thu, Mar 13 2014 11:25 AM In reply to

• djibril
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 9 2010
    • La Rochelle
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Although the model Apple Mac Pro is not recommended for avid media composer does anyone know if it works on the model 4 core ?

If this is the case with any type of graphique card it can run AMD D300 or absolutly AMD D500 ?

Mac Pro 8 Core 2,26-8 TO-Intensity Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:48 PM In reply to

I see that there has been no ground covered on this issue this week. The official word that I have received from avid, is that the Nitris DX is a dead issue. This is the reply from a week of support back and forth.....

"We had tested Nitris DX in the latest version of MAC Pro and the result is that Nitris DX is not reliable for capture or playback that's why we don't recommend it. 

Regarding your 4 monitor set up, you can set up 2DVI for Media Composer and 1 HDMI for client monitor. Regarding the Black Magic or other 3rd party hardware that we recommend, it should run, if not, you should check with your hardware documentation since we don't test their products." 

From this, I can only deduce that, A. It is unlikely to be supported in the near future, if at all, and B. Third party cards such as Black Magic", may or "Should" work.

Not a real confidence builder.

• Fri, Mar 14 2014 7:50 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I wonder if they will publicly address this issue at NAB.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 5:10 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,945

I was wondering, nobody is questioning this, but why is the new Mac Pro 4 core model with D300 not qualified to work with Avid Media Composer? I mean, if even the mac mini is qualified... What is the problem then?

And does somebody have real world experience with Avid MC on a new Mac Pro 6 core stock model?

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:23 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,945

Just another question...

I am looking for a new mac pro, what will be the best configuration for Avid MC? For now and in the future?

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:44 PM In reply to

FWIW, i just installed  MC7.03 on a new 8 core with 32 Mb RAM and the D700 boards. Using the BMD Ultra 4K TB as the I/O and a Maxx Digital (Areca) TB2 RAID. Avid seems to be working just fine. ( oh yeah OS 10.9.2). The data throughput on the TB2 RAID (Raid5) 8-disk array is 1,100 Mb/sec.   Using the Sonnet SxS card reader, and a Maxx Digital TB to FW and eSata adapter for existing external drives.  Resolve lite v10.1 even plays out on a big screen in real time from the Ultra 4k. 

New Mac 8 core. 32 Gb RAM D-700 , BMD Ultra 4K, Maxx Digital TB2 RAID [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 1 2014 2:07 PM In reply to

• rola
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 27 2011
    • Posts 24
    • Points 320

Are there news regarding the patch anounced for early Q2 2014 to use MC 7 on a new Mac Pro without a MBox / Thunderbolt Display?

I want to buy a new Mac Pro 6-core and I am wondering if it makes sens to wait for the patch or do I need to buy the extra MBox / Thunderbolt Display anyway?

• Mon, Apr 28 2014 10:28 AM In reply to

Hi there,

in the PDF is an announecement of the Media Composer 7.0.3.1 patch. When will it be ready to download? 

thx

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:45 AM In reply to

• ctomo1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 15 2012
    • Posts 21
    • Points 245

Bump on this please. When will this be available?

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller