Latest post Wed, Apr 30 2014 8:45 AM by ctomo1. 42 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 3 2014 7:01 PM In reply to

Re: New Mac Pro officially qualified for Media Composer 7.0.3 or 6.5.4.1

Apparently, Avid does not believe any TB-PCI conversion will work with Nitris DX. Stand by for more details.

Jeroen, I'm merely picking up on this because there were questions, here and on the L2, and people are worried about losing the ability to use their Nitris DX on the new Mac Maxi.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 3 2014 7:19 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

From what I've heard. It has something to do with "Timing" ( IRQ timing ) on the Thunderbolt and not bandwidth.

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Mon, Mar 3 2014 11:16 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Seb_089:

have someone out there tried the sonnet TB boxes?

I have seen that Magma certified the Nitris DX with there T3 Box.

The Magma expansion boxes appear to be Thunberbolt 1 (10Gbs) connections and not the new Thunderbolt 2 (20Gbs) that is on the new Mac Pros. Can anyone confirm?

Another question, is the Avid Thunderbolt Mojo DX adapter a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 device?

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 6:45 AM In reply to

• Seb_089
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • Posts 27
    • Points 405

Yeah it is Tunderbolt 1 but compatible to the Mac Pro.

For me the Mojo DX adapter looks like the Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro and these are Thunderbolt 1.

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 with Nitris DX Mac Pro early 2009 8x 2,66GHz 12GB Ram Geforce GTX 680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 4:34 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

The Magma site is advertising an upgrade to TB2 option coming sometime in March.

I agree that the TB Mojo DX connector looks like the Sonnet adapter. The Sonnet expansion boxes are TB2.

I would like to hear from Avid about confirming if these chassis really are qualified. Magma claims they are but would like to hear it from Avid. 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 5:27 PM In reply to

Abeyta:
    I would like to hear from Avid about confirming if these chassis really are qualified.
    Avid claims they don't work or not well enough to qualify. Dave C. said he would explain this in more detail.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 9:30 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

I've only used Blackmagic I/O cards for my editing.  How is a Nitris or Mojo DX any different?

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 10:46 PM In reply to

From the top of my hat: both DX boxes support 24p PAL, which the BMD does not, AFAIK Both DX boxes support Target Mask on the outputs, which none of the 3rd party boxes do. Nitris DX allows for Universal Mastering (in combination with the Symphony option). Nitris DX has on-board hardware codecs (DNxHD and optionally AVC-Intra), which is beneficial in some workflows.

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 11:45 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

Good to know.  Thanks.

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 3:21 PM In reply to

I have been waiting on a progress email on this very issue. Avid has assured me that they will provide an answer one way or the other from their engineering team?

In our case, I have two of our Nitris DX systems running on Mid 2009 Mac Pro's. Our online suite also is running Divinci. It is running very slow, even with plenty of ram. We are looking at upgrading to the new Mac Pro as a solution to this. 

As all of our suites have 2 x Computer Monitors (DVI), 1 x broadcast monitor (SDI) and 1 x client 52" Plasma (HDMI), I am not sure how we can move forward with the new Mac Pro. Even with a qualified PCIe to Thunderbolt expansion chassis, it does not allow "the currently" unqualified DX card and box to run. That takes away from our ability to distribute SDI and HDMI to those monitors.

Hoping for word back soon, as the longer it takes for a solution, the longer it will take to get the now 1 month backordered Mac Pro.

Cheers

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 4:47 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I would like to be updated from Avid on this too. I want to know if I should try and sell my Nitris DX and purchase a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K with Thunderbolt 2. Blackmagic claims its compatible with Avid 7

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 4:59 PM In reply to

Abeyta:

I would like to be updated from Avid on this too. I want to know if I should try and sell my Nitris DX and purchase a Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K with Thunderbolt 2. Blackmagic claims its compatible with Avid 7

My thought on the Black Magic unit, is not so much that it is compatable with Avid, but rather is it compatible with the new Mac Pro and Mavericks. Also, this unto itself looks to be a Psudo editting system. It appears overkill and I suspect will have other interfacing issues. Time will tell.

As an after thought. After reading the Avid documentation that is currently available, as I understand it, Avid only supports Two monitors. If that is the case, then how would one connect the Black Magic box or any other to a third Thunderbolt connection to to complete the necassary distribution? That is assuming that the Avid software will ony provide signal to 2 Thunderbolt jacks.

Best

Joe

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:25 PM In reply to

Joe Di Profio:
    as I understand it, Avid only supports Two monitors. If that is the case, then how would one connect the Black Magic box or any other to a third Thunderbolt connection to to complete the necassary distribution? That is assuming that the Avid software will ony provide signal to 2 Thunderbolt jacks.

Can you elaborate on this comment? I am a little dense and cannot understand it. Thanks.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:52 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    Can you elaborate on this comment? I am a little dense and cannot understand it. Thanks.
    Does this help to clarify at all?

"The AMD FirePro graphics supports 3 4K displays or 6 thunderbolt displays. There is also an HDMI output for connection to HDMI monitor. Media Composer has only been qualified with 2 displays." 

So, I am assuming that Media Composer will not output to any of the other 4 Thunderbolt outputs. Again, that is MY assumption. Still awaiting word from Avid's engineering department.

Cheers

J

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 6:25 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I am currently running 2 - DVI 23" Apple Cinema Displays via DVI to Thunderbolt adapters to the new Mac Pro. For HDSDI monitoring to my REC709 monitor, I am using a Blackmagic mini monitor adapter in interim until we get claryfication on the DX. I will eventually need an interface that can connect to HD decks for output.

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller