Latest post Thu, Apr 10 2014 5:09 PM by View_Findr. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 28 2014 10:00 PM

• mmarino561
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 28 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Help with "Avid Exception: A serious error has occurred!"

Hey everyone,

So I will admit that I am pretty new to personally working with Avid Media Composer 7, though I have been working with editors for years. I have the software installed on my iMac, however whenever I try to open/create ANY project on ANY hard drive, i instantly get the message "Avid Exception: A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you save your work and restart the system".

As for my issue's backstory, a couple of months ago I had the Media Composer 7 trial running on my computer. During this time, the software worked on my computer perfectly. As I was uninstalling the software, the uninstall froze and I was forced to quit. Since buying the software last week, I have on numerous occasions uninstalled and reinstalled the software to try to get rid of this error message. Additionally, I have tried to open both previous Avid projects on external hard drives, in addition to creating new projects on my computer's hard drive. However each time I try to officially open/create a project, the loading phase ends on this error message. I have read other posts regarding this error within this forum, however it seems to all be based on people needing to relink files within specific projects, which doesnt seem to be my case.

Additionally, I have checked many of these existing Avid Projects on my editor's PC to make sure they werent corrupted, and they have opened without any issue.

Specifications:

iMac, Mid 2010

3.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3

I would greatly appreciate any help!

• Sat, Mar 1 2014 2:08 AM In reply to

Re: Help with "Avid Exception: A serious error has occurred!"

Have you checked that all users have Read and Write permissions for all drives and folders?

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:35 AM In reply to

• mmarino561
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Yes I have. All is set to allow all users to read and write. Sadly however, none of my suggested solutions so far have worked. Essentially, when Avid gives me the opportunity to open or create a project, I get the "A serious error has occurred!" warning while loading any project. After clicking "Ok", another error occurs while trying to read the bin ("Segmentation Fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0). Finally, Avid ultimately crashes.

So at this point, I have tried about a dozen ways to try to fix this issue. Below is some of the recomended solutions that have failed for me so far:

1) Possibly the User Settings are Corrupt

• I have deleted files including MCState, Site Settings, and Site_Attributes.
    • This does not fix my issue.

2) Disable OpenGL

• Tried this, but it didn't fix my issue

3) Turn on Legacy Overlay

• Any attempt to do this instantly crashes Avid when I hold down the "L" and "O" keys while Avid is loading.

4) Errors are due to unlinked AMA clips

• This does not solve the problem, due to my errors all occurring before I can even fully open ANY project files.

5) Completely uninstall and then reinstall Avid

• I have tried this on a few occasions now, removing both hidden Avid files and uninstalling related software. Sadly, this has not fixed the issue.

Below I have listed more detailed information regarding my computer specs:

Model Name:    iMac

Operating System: OSX Mavericks 10.9.2

Model Identifier:    iMac11,2
    Processor Name:    Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed:    3.6 GHz
    Memory:    8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:    6.4 GT/s

ATI Radeon HD 5670:
    Chipset Model:    ATI Radeon HD 5670

The only thing left I can think of is that possibly OSX Mavericks isn't compatible with my Avid 7.0.3, however I am worried about reverting my computer back to mountain lion without losing files. I will gladly do this, however, if you guys think this is the best solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 11:26 PM In reply to

• mmarino561
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 12:06 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

10.9.2 isn't officially supported yet, it's possible your problem is related to this so you might need to wait for an update....

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 12 2014 6:32 AM In reply to

• mmarino561
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Well, i just installed a trial version of Avid 6.0.1 Of course it works, though I cannot open my projects that were made on Avid 7 on a PC.

This is just a painful process now... I need to be working on these projects. I might just contact Avid and try to get the latest version of v6 at this point rather than keep meddling with this problematic scenario of mixing v7 with Maverick.

if anyone has any thoughts, I would still greatly appreciate them.

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 12:55 PM In reply to

• cccu tech
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 17 2011
    • Posts 118
    • Points 1,350

Sorry to keep banging the supported stick but, if I remember correctly, support for v6 ended at Mountain Lion 10.8.4 so assuming you mean you installed v6 on your Mavericks 10.9.2 you might be waiting for something that is never going to arrive so no point contacting Avid.  There was a 6.0.5 update that enabled better compatibility with v7 but this still has the usual caveat of needing a supported/qualified OS.  Another thing you might now encounter is, again assuming this is on 10.9.2, because v6 was not designed for Mavericks you may have trouble removing it from your system with the installer/uninstaller - look at the pinned v6.5 update thread here to see what what I mean with Mavericks and note the lack of a similar warning in the v6 thread.

Because you said it was working a few months ago I assume your path has been this: you were running Mavericks 10.9.1 and Avid v7.0.3 fine.  You then updated to Mavericks 10.9.2.  And this when the problems started.

It's too late to warn you now but this is something that can occur when updating your system or installing Avid on a system before Avid tell you it is OK to do so.  Whilst it might seem Avid are slow to update, not to mention if something like Adobe works without needing an update then Avid theoretically should as well, this is not the case.  Avid just isn't programmed that way.  Some people get away with leaping ahead of Avid, some don't.  Unfortunately you are one of those.

So, it seems like you have 2 options, start afresh and reinstall everything but only going as far as Mavericks 10.9.1 or hold on for the next update - if you now have v6 installed on 10.9.2 you might have to start afresh anyway.

Avid 5.5.3 Snow Leopard 10.6.8 2007 2x 2.8Ghx Quad Mac Pro 4GB Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 10 2014 5:09 PM In reply to

• View_Findr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 10 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

HEY ALL! So I have been having the same trouble with Avid. I just bought v. 7.0.3.2815, like, a couple of weeks ago and this program works fine. But only when I go to the school I teach at do I get these error messages. So, I was wondering if all this has to do with connectivity to the web? Or what? Why is it when I come ONLY TO THIS GEOGRAPHIC LOCATION, that I get these error messages? In my home? No problems! Using a MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, using Mavericks, blah, blah, blah.

Any thoughts??!

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller