Latest post Sat, Feb 22 2014 5:21 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 21 2014 11:17 PM

• R Ross
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 21 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

I want to see media drive NAMES not dang drive numbers

Now on Avid Symphony Nitris 6.0.1.1 with a  (HP z800 PC)  

When I open a bin without the media drives attached, the "Drive" column shows me the drive letter and not the drive name I had ingested the clips onto.

I use multiple removeable drives daily and reply on the bin's "Drive" column to clue me in on what drives I need mounted to my PC.

Now, after going to AVID 6, I only see a drive letter which tells me nothing about what drive my media is on.The path colums are not help either.

any advice would be great - Thanks.

• Fri, Feb 21 2014 11:39 PM In reply to

Re: I want to see media drive NAMES not dang drive numbers

R Ross:
    Now, after going to AVID 6, I only see a drive letter which tells me nothing about what drive my media is on
    I just checked here (WITH MC 7 + Symphony option) with Windows 7 SP 1 and without media drives attached my Proxies bin show media offline and "AStore35 (E:)" in the drive column.

R Ross:
    Now on Avid Symphony Nitris 6.0.1.1
    Maybe time to take advantage of a free update to the latest version of 6.0.x. (6.0.5?)

• Sat, Feb 22 2014 1:57 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Hi R Ross,

Sorry but the curse of the drive letters is 100% a fault of the operating system, not the Avid app. Windows applies drive letters, thus limiting the number of drives you can use. It remembers what port a drive was in, and occasionally won't recognize that drive unless it's in the exact same port. And sometimes...nope, often times... It assigns different drive letters over time to the exact same drive depending on how many other drives are plugged-in, and in what order.

Here at my station we use tons of drives, thumbdrives and an Avid Unity with tons of different workspaces. There's a lot to love about Windows. But man, the drive letter thing just kills it. The only fix for it is to go Mac. On a Mac, the column you mentioned works exactly the way you wish it would.

Logically the next question would be, "Well then why doesn't Avid change the functionlity of that column for Windows systems?" And the answer would be: Then, when a project is offline edited on a Mac and onlined on a Windows system, that column (a vital column when onlining) would be completely incompatible between systems.

But yeah... Totally sympathizing with your frustration. If you are willing to do some manual labor, there IS a fix. It involves changing your workflow a bit. I did this for a while, and stopped simply because it got annoying. 

Every time you format a new drive for use, name it starting with a drive letter. So call it... "G-Media". Then, every single time you mount it, manually go and change its drive letter to G:

Go here for the process: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Sat, Feb 22 2014 5:21 PM In reply to

Or you could create a custom column in your Bin. That way when you connect DriveXYZ, you add DriveXYZ into the Bin column and you'll always know that media came from DriveXYZ. 

I work mostly on Macs, but I use a column that I created to help me keep track of AMA and other file-based clips and whether I Imported, Consolidated or Transcoded them. 

So info in the Bin might look something like: IMPORT: DriveXYZ/Footage/Stock or TRANS: DriveXYZ/Footage/CamA

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller