Latest post Tue, Mar 4 2014 5:00 PM by Roger G. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 17 2014 8:07 PM

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 2 2010
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

Software stopped working!

SUITE 1 (see spec below) had been running Xpress 3.5.4 for YEARS. Then it stopped working. I get ACCESS VIOLATION error and then quits and the BUG REPORT screen pops up. It get's to the AVID splash page but then...kaput! I'm pretty sure no specs have changed. Same Quicktime, same hardware, same dongle, but nothing works. I'm on Service Pak 1 and have never gone to SP2. The ACCESS VIOLATION error names a certain .dll file called MSDVDIO.dll I remoced it from directory but still messes up. I put it back.

Not sure what is wrong since it had been working for literally YEARS prior to it not working. Anybody encounter that? I did a complete reinstall of AVID but to no avail. Here's the error report. Thanks in advance.

COMMENT ADDED 02/18/14

Debug Error Message Reads:
    File:T:\ppgUIshell2.0\CoreClasses\AApplication.c,Line:3156

I just tried to do a reinstall using my original disks of 3.5 (not4) but it did the same thing. Running our of options.
    ANy help or thoughts would be wonderful.

________ Exception Report ________________________
    Exception Code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Fault Module:   01:0000036E C:\Program Files\Avid\Avid Xpress DV\MSDVDIO.dll
    Fault Address:  08F5136E Symbol not found

________ Stack Dump _________________________________________
    08F5136E  77E949B7
    53886800  00022C68

SUITE 1: Media Composer 8.7.2 running on an HP Z640 Octo Core Suite 5 is running Media Composer 6 on an HP z400. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 17 2014 10:04 PM In reply to

Re: Software stopped working!

What kind of footage? How's it stored? Connected, etc?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Feb 18 2014 4:22 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

This system has always used off the shelf drives via Firewire and internal IDDE drives. It's one of our SD workhorses for legal video, so nothing too fancy.

SUITE 1: Media Composer 8.7.2 running on an HP Z640 Octo Core Suite 5 is running Media Composer 6 on an HP z400. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 18 2014 8:05 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

COMMENT ADDED 02/18/14

Debug Error Message Reads:
    File:T:\ppgUIshell2.0\CoreClasses\AApplication.c,Line:3156

I just tried to do a reinstall using my original disks of 3.5 (not4) but it did the same thing. Running our of options.
    ANy help or thoughts would be wonderful.
  • Tue, Feb 18 2014 8:07 PM In reply to

I believe an Access Violation is related to a storage problem or corrupt media.

First, try launching the software without any storage connected. In the case of you internal drives, rename the Avid MediaFiles folder to "XAvid MediaFiles" to prevent Avid from seeing that media.

Does it launch now?

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 12:00 AM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

Sorry. Doesn't launch. I pretty much erased and got rid of the media files, in this case the OMFI Folders in all the drives. Gives me RUN TIME ERROR, Application shuts down. Any other thoughts? 

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 6:34 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

I also get this in the FILE DUMP: Something about SHOGUN CPR, etc. MSDVDIO.dll fault. I'm pulling my hair. Not sure what to do.

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 6:52 PM In reply to

Can you reinstall the operating system?  It sounds like something went screwy somewhere, and you could chase your tail forever trying to figure out what, or just reinstall to get the system back to good.

Media Composer 2018.12.1 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:19 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

I was hoping to do that only as a last resort. Do you think something went THAT bad? Even though everything else is working fine, Photoshop, After Effects, Browsers, Illustrator, everyting is working fine except AVID. AVID is the rogue issue in my case. ugggg!

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 3:02 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. As I said, AVID is the only program that is NOT working which makes me NOT want to do a complete system restore. I don't feel I should have to. Anyone? Please? Thoughts? Thank you!

• Tue, Mar 4 2014 3:59 PM In reply to

Not much help at this stage but making and keeping disc images of legacy systems is a key trouble shooting step.

If you had an old drive with a working image to drop in and saw the same fault you'd know it was HW related.

I'd clone what you have first and formost so you can mess with it and have a copy to go back to.

If a application re-install hasn't worked then it's either hardware, OS or another app causing the issue. (another app can easily replace a dll and cause the issue)

So a fresh start maybe the only way forward. But again tyou want to be taking images as you go so you can step back to a working version if you need to.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Mar 4 2014 5:00 PM In reply to

• Roger G
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

Thanks. I'll have to trouble shoot. To my knowledge no hardware has been changed except a new power supply. No software changed other than trying to reinstall both the original 3.5 version and the updated 3.5.4 version. If I am successful in pinpointing the troubloe I will return to post here in case someone else experiences the same hoo ha!

Forum Rocks!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller