Latest post Wed, Jun 29 2016 9:37 PM by Kendall Kaiser. 34 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:52 PM In reply to

Re: "There were errors linking AMA files"

I agree with the previous statements...make sure you are running MC under the original Mac account that it was installed under...that seems to be a critical issue folks are experiencing.  Confirm if that works.

Also, check the permissions of /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Management and report back.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 5 2014 5:56 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

KHEINTZ -

Are you logged in as the orignal administrator? I just tested this on my machine and got the exact same error. Being an administrator is not enough, as the way permissions are set up in the shared folder is not correct. /Users/Shared/Avid MediaComposer and /Users/Shared/Avid MediaComposer/AMA Management both have "Read and Write" for EVERYONE, but inside AMA Management there is a folder called AMA METEDATA FOLDERS - that folder, by default does not have Read and Write access granted to additional accounts, even administrator accounts.

I just tried this on my machine, see attached pictures. When I went in and manually changed the permissions to the AMA Metadata Folders to allow read and write access to everyone, I was able to AMA link my material. 

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 5 2014 6:43 PM In reply to

BINGO!

I just switched to the "Test" user, which my IT guy said was the original user and AMA links to everything PERFECTLY!

What a cluster-F---, but at least it works now...

I also checked that the Test user had read/write priveleges all the way up to "AMA Management" and it does.

Wonderful.

Now that that's figured out, we're going to reformat the main harddrive and start from scratch with just one user.  Otherwise anyone else who uses the bay will be totally confused when logging into "editor".

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP 
  • Wed, Feb 5 2014 6:50 PM In reply to

• KHEINTZ
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 4 2014
    • Posts 6
    • Points 115

My problem is resolved as well, I deleted all other users and signed in as original admin and PROBLEM SOLVED! 

• Thu, Feb 6 2014 4:52 PM In reply to

PPOHIO... you're the man... or woman... I can't tell by your handle.

You saved the day and our IT guy a lot of headache.  Rather than deleting and reinstalling anything and everything including the OSX users, the simple fix was indeed simply chaning the "AMA Metadata Folders" to "everyone" completely solved the problem.

I can't confirm if it's a matter of using the initial user that first installed MC 7.0.3, or if it's just using the initial user of the Mac period.  I also can't confirm if this issue occurs on computers that had earlier versions installed on it before MC 7.0.3 that aren't effected during a simple upgrade. I also can't confirm that laptops aren't effected for some reason, because I know KHEINTZ said it his Macbook handled it like a champ without modifying, and our IT guy said the same thing about one of our laptops running MC 7.0.3.  And that goes back to my point about any earlier versions being previously installed.  My guess is our laptop had earlier versions.

I can confirm.... THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER NOW!  A simple permission change to the "AMA Metadata Folders" folder does the trick.

Thanks again! 

• Thu, Feb 6 2014 5:46 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

Hehe - I'm glad we figured it out. I think Kevin also had the answer in the thread, and it is a rare honor to beat him to the punch on an issue as he is the one usually solving problems on these forums for ME.

Sadly, the reason this jumped out to me is I had an embarrassing situation where I was bit by this problem: I was working on a project a couple months ago and debating with one of the producers about the merits of the various editing platforms. They were stallwort in not wanting to transcode on this job. I was trying to explain that Avid could bring in the material just as quickly as FCP/Premiere, and fired it up to show him on whatever account was open on the machine at the moment (obviously not the original admin). I tried to pull in the clips and got immediately hit with the "Errors linking the AMA files." Uh oh. I kept trying to fiddle with it, and after ten minutes I got the inevitable, "See, Avid has so many problems. Premiere never has problems like this. We're going with that" from the producer. Red-faced and frustrated, it took me another hour to figure out the multi-user issue. 

Glad it worked out though! For future reference, I believe the issue is this:

When Avid is installed, it creates the folder /Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Mangement - but it doesn't create the "AMA Metadata Folders" folder within. So when the first person links media via AMA, the folder is created with OSX permissions, not permissions set by the installer. Therefore that user is given full write permissions and "Everyone" is set to read only. So perhaps in a future upgrade the installer could create that folder ahead of time and set the permissions, then multiple users wouldn't have the issue. 

Anyway, thanks for the thanks. These forums are great and I'm happy to contribute. Cheers and good editing!

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 6 2014 6:09 PM In reply to

That is embarrassing.  I'm glad we solved this before I really needed it, rather than just finding it while testing something like I thankfully did.

Thanks again... again...

AND THANKS TO YOU TOO, KEVIN!

• Fri, Feb 7 2014 2:09 PM In reply to

Yes

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Feb 21 2014 12:49 PM In reply to

• John Lynn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 9 2006
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 10
    • Points 200
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I've been experiencing the same problem.  However, thanks to the info in this thread, deleting the AMA Management folder and re-launching Avid Media Composer fixed my problem.

/Users/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Management

John
    GeniusDV

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:06 PM In reply to

Ever since we solved this problem, I've been getting the warning below.  Anyone else getting it?

I click "OK" and keep going without any problem at this point, but I just want to make sure there's not something I'm going to get screwed on later down the road.

Thanks.

• Mon, Mar 10 2014 7:43 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

I would figure out what clip(s) are causing the issue and get those problems fied now before you continue with your edit.

I had the same problem yesterday onlining a 5D project. One clip was problematic, I figured out which one it was by scrubbing the playhead from the beginning. When I hit the area of the sequence with the problem clip, the image would freeze in the composer but the playhead keeps scrubbing. Zoom in on that area, repeat the scrub and I found the area within three clips. Lifted one out, got the error. Undo, lift, error. Undo, lift, no error, that's the one.

I manually relinked that file and placed it back in, but today when I started the project again I got the same problem with the same clip even though Avid can see that it is linked. No idea what's wrong with it, I had to get this thing exported so I just swapped in the offline (DNxHD 36) version and kicked it out. It's a five second shot in an 18 minute project going to the web so nobody's going to notice.

But I don't know why I keep getting the message for a clip that is online. Very frustrating. I think this file got renamed and Avid can't figure out it is the same file. Just now I duplicatd the file in the Finder, named the copy back to what Avid was looking for and relinked it, and Avid seems happy with that.

Can't complain, Avid relinked several hundred other clips flawlessly.

• Thu, Mar 13 2014 3:20 AM In reply to

• roywarn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 15 2012
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

We are in a mutl-user environment where I work so we needed a fix for this problem.

The original user of Avid will the the only one with write permissions to the Ama database folder and XML file.

The work around is to disable AMA databse management by typing into the Console: < manageama off > then hit enter.

this will allow any user to AMA link without problems.

This is a bug that AVid is aware of but who knows when they will fix it.

And you really don't need database management of AMA linked files in most work scenarios.

• Thu, Mar 13 2014 4:33 AM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

roywarn:

And you really don't need database management of AMA linked files in most work scenarios.

Can you expound on when you would and wouldn't need AMA database management? If we're working on big projects should these databases be backed up nightly or be managed per project? I always assumed the management was necessary for AMA.

• Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:38 AM In reply to

• roywarn
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

AMA management is new in Version 7.

Here is what Avid says about it:

So unless you are using Interplay or want to see the AMA files in the Media Tool there is not a huge reason to use the AMA management process as it exists in v7.0.3.

When it is disabled, it reverts to the way Avid delt with AMA files in version 6.5

Anyone else that can shed some light of the pros and cons of the use of Avid's AMA management would be greatly appreciated.

• Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:42 AM In reply to

• roywarn
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Sorry - I had pasted a screen shot from "What's new in Avid Version 7" as a quote from Avid and it is not showing up.

This document is in the Avid document folder along with the user manual that is available from the HELP menu when Avid is running.

Might be good taking a look at it.

Page 2 of 3 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller