Latest post Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:39 AM by Job ter Burg. 84 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 7:42 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Your views on Frameflex, please

drbgaijin:
    Hopefully I, the bumblebee, can now take a short rest  Big Smile

Tomas, the original purpose for my thread was to find out about how people use FF.
    That has been answered.

Our discussion, which is a little OT - but interesting, is now over for my part.
    I already have used the workflow on genuine 4K clips. No problems there either.

Now, please start a separate thread for your continued FF / Avid FX discussions. This thread has run its course now. Maybe I'll pop into your new thread later.

Tack så mycket

mvh

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:59 PM In reply to

• editmk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • London
    • Posts 247
    • Points 3,390

Frameflex is probably the most exciting tool to hit Avid in the last 10 years in my opinion. 

You are right in saying that there are alternative ways to do the effects but I promise you this, there is no way to do those effects without quality loss. And the effect is already on the clip. So any resize effects you want are already applied. Therefore it is simpler than any effects you would normally add. 

You can do over a 200% zoom on any video without any quality loss at all. (Someone please correct me on that if the math is wrong. The scope you get from that is incredible. Whip on's, whip offs, crash zooms in or out, slow drifts, freframing shots which are almost perfect through to just awful and berst of all, you can do it all without any loss in quality. 

200% zooms with no loss in quality! It is incredible!!!

That said, as always with Avid it is not perfect. It cant be promoted to 3D so there is no rotate. And I am having some buggy renders on moves, black borders not asked for etc. I hope Avid fix those in 7.5. 

But seriously I LOVE IT!!!

www.mikegreen.tv

• Sun, Apr 20 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Hi, Douglas.  I am using Frameflex right now to apply a LUT to Arri Alexa footage.  It works quite well.  However, I think there's a bug, because the LUT can't be applied to footage that's transcoded to DNxHD 36 in the background - only in the foreground.  I can also see frameflex being good for baking framing into offline footage (eg. 2.35)  I probably wouldn't use frameflex for animated reframings.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:39 PM In reply to

editmk:
    there is no way to do those effects without quality loss

Do check

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=128

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=154

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=160

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 20 2014 9:11 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

S.Clements:
    Hi, Douglas.  I am using Frameflex right now to apply a LUT to Arri Alexa footage

Thank you for your added comments on what you use frameflex for.

I had already gotten enough information from this thread to convince me that frameflex - in it's present state - is nothing for me. For my type of modest projects I have placed frameflex aside together with AMA, which is also nothing for my usual worfkflows. I have categorised both of them as "fast food".  Easy to use for quick gratification but causing problems later in life (workflows). I prefer to take the old fashioned way. Geeked

Regards

Douglas

PS. No need to extol the virtues of Frameflex and AMA. I realise that very many editors need fast food and really enjoy it Yes

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Apr 21 2014 5:25 AM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

I was under the way impression I could use frame flex to do basic moves on high res (over 1080p) images and frame flex was a complete let down. MC needs to do some massive changes to keep up with the most basic of tasks.

As of now, if you need frame flex you might as well use premiere.

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 7:55 AM In reply to

I'm not happy with the fact that I have already transcoded and built a timeline to make items that I create married to field audio using autosync.

Not fair to NOT have some post-transcoded way to UNDO this genius tool. I'm sure there's some other way to do what I want to do, but I like the matchback feature for field audio to work a certain way which is possible still, just... having to undo this step is not right.

• Sat, Sep 13 2014 9:27 AM In reply to

drjonfrockit, I'm not sure what issue your encountering or what situation your are trying to resolve. What step would you need to undo?

P.S. Scott, LUTs are not FrameFlex.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:29 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Job ter Burg:

P.S. Scott, LUTs are not FrameFlex.

Thanks, Job.  I found that out a while back, but originally thought FrameFlex was the name for the whole interface that came up when you went to change a file's source settings.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:39 AM In reply to

And I fully understand that one could think that. :)

Page 6 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller