Latest post Sat, May 24 2014 4:51 PM by Vilem. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:15 PM

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

7.0.3 - Background services run, MC says they're not. SOLVED!

Win7 fully updated, MC 7.0.3 (with Symphony option) installed after completely uninstalling Sym 6.0.5

ALL Avid background services are running, foreground transccode/consolidate works, AMA files work ok.

BUT:

Right click in bin, select AMA Link -> 'Background services are not running'

Tools/Dynamic media folder -> 'Background services are not running'

Tools/Background services -> Says Service IS running.

Also, trying to stop the service (by any method) doesn't work. It just hangs...

Already tried reinstalling twice, with thorough clean-up. Is MC7 really this buggy?

Any suggestions? 

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Wed, Jan 29 2014 4:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,734
    • Points 224,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: 7.0.3 - Background services running, but MC says they're not

EditDudes....

We had one of these yesterday........ and Cosmin figured it out.

Try this.......

uncheck in the background services window "Always Start Avid Background services at Launch" and also "Always Stop Avid Background services at Exit".

report back if it works.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jan 29 2014 7:06 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 939
    • Points 11,990

I had the same problem with my fresh installed W7-System. Services are running, however, MC Dynamic Folders cannot be used. I get an Avid MC error saying, that the DM serevice is not running. In my old W7-installation (on the same workstation) everything was running flawlessly. I remembered, that i did not use the full 7.0.3-installer but used the Patch Update from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3.

So, I un-installed MC completely and installed version 7.0.2 and DM services are running and dyn. media folders can be used. Now I used the Patch installer to version 7.0.3 and the DM-service and dyn. media folders are working.

So, may be you run the same procedure, and do not use the full installer of version 7.0.3.

Good luck,

Joachim 

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 10:52 AM In reply to

• editdudes
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,665

@Marianna:

Tried that, but unfortunately it didn't help at all.

@Joachim:

Thanks, I'll try this immediately, and report my findings... 

UPDATE:

CONFIRMED! Installing 7.0.2 and applying the 7.0.3 patch solves the problem with background services.

The Full 7.0.3 installer should be recalled immediately. I lost an entire day troubleshooting this...

Symphony Nitris DX • MC Adrenaline DNxcel 5.5 • DaVinci Resolve • VirtualDub :) [view my complete system specs]

E D I T   D U D E S

Independent Post Production Services

Malmö - SWEDEN

www.editdudes.com

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 11:14 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

editdudes:

@Joachim:

Thanks, I'll try this immediately, and report my findings... 

I can verify this workflow and that the bg transcode doesn´t work correct when using the full installer of 7,03.

Using Joachims workflow with first installing 7,02 clean and then the 7,03 patch is what makes it work here.

Time to escalate ?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 2:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,734
    • Points 224,780
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes escalate -

Tomas - can you send this to Keith?

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 30 2014 4:27 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

Hi MM, done

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Fri, Feb 14 2014 9:03 PM In reply to

• Duane
    • Not Ranked
    • Pasadena, CA
    • Posts 31
    • Points 305

I'm having the same problem, but can't seem to locate the MAC patch for 7.0.3, only full installs... Can anyone add a link?

Duane

an Avid Editor since AVR 1... I remember the first NAB booth Big Smile

• Fri, Feb 14 2014 10:22 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 15,525

For all I know, MAC has always been full installation. Path is only for Windows.

V.

AVID MC2019.6 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 411.95, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 15 2014 12:13 AM In reply to

• Duane
    • Not Ranked
    • Pasadena, CA
    • Posts 31
    • Points 305

FWIW, I was able to resolve the problem on my system by simply reinstalling V  7.0.3.   I attempted to uninstall first (after downloading the software from the AVID download site twice), but both times got the message "Uninstall Media Composer" is damaged and can't be opened...  So I simply reinstalled it over the top and now the background services are working fine.

an Avid Editor since AVR 1... I remember the first NAB booth Big Smile

• Fri, Mar 14 2014 11:23 AM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 15,525

Hello,

I started using Background Service in MC7.0.3.

My experience:
    Transcoding several thousand sony AVCHD files (. MTS) 1080 50p to 120 DNxHD50i. Approximately 24 hours of material.
    Creating a queue took about 3 hours.
    TRANSCODING took about 36h (Avid was full most of the time off), but more important was without falling! Yes

Once I rebooted the PC , because there was a gradual filling of RAM - from initial 7g for a full 24G , after restarting the process continued .

As a result, non-transfer of about 20 clips.

I do not see activity in the web browser, even avid Background Queue - the screen is blank. That the Background Service runs can be seen only from the "wheels" on the timeline of CPU usage and disk space filling.

I also understand when there is a shift of new material from the "Pending" folder in the base material. Several times already process obviously did not run, but the visibility was material until the next reboot.

V.

AVID MC2019.6 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 411.95, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:39 PM In reply to

• Jøran Sanna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 11 2010
    • Porsgrunn / Norway
    • Posts 19
    • Points 220

Marianna:

Yes escalate -

Tomas - can you send this to Keith?

Marianna 

FYI, I have exactly the same problem.

MC report "bacground service do not run. Even though I´m able to transcode in bacground at that is working well. But DMF and AMA linking reports the "Background service do not run", and the DMF window does not open.

Thanks, appreciate this issue to be solved.

Jøran

MC 7.0.3, Win7 Pro, Asus X58, i7 Hex core, 12GB Ram, PNY Quadro 4000, two striped WD 1TB Sata III [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Apr 16 2014 4:16 PM In reply to

• Kao-Tai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 16 2012
    • Posts 49
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Hi there, I'm experiencing the same problem. Services are running but can't be accesed from the MC. Tried all the above suggestions to no avail. Are there any updates for this issue?

Cheers

Andreas

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 5:06 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

As you can see in the threads above there are some problems, an update patch is promised but no timetable from what I´ve seen, hopefully with some fixes also for the new Bg transcode and Dmf workflow.

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 16 2014 7:05 PM In reply to

• Kao-Tai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 16 2012
    • Posts 49
    • Points 650
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Hi Tomas,

thank you for the fast reply. I guess you could describe it as "under construction"Smile

I just wanted to let everyone know what did the trick for me in the end. I wiped the complete C: Drive and did a complete clean Install of everything. Then I followed the suggestions of going with the 7.0.2 full installer and then did the 7.0.3. update. I guess some files were left after my unistallations the previous tries. Sorry if Iwas to fast to post. And thanks Marianna for the fast reply. You and your team are the greatest!!

Andreas

Page 1 of 3 (39 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller