Latest post Sun, Jan 19 2014 1:20 AM by coolwavepic. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:27 PM

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 12 2010
    • Lock Haven, Pa
    • Posts 63
    • Points 1,115

Two basic questions; selecting clips and multi-monitor

MC 7.0.2/ HP Z400 PC Workstation

I have a couple questions. I've been watching a video tutorial about editing (I'm fairly green to editing) and during the tutorial the instructor selects a clip in the timeline without having any tool active.  Once the clip is selected I am told to hit Alt + C to copy the clip into the preview window.  The only way I can select a clip is if I have a tool activated (like overwrite or splic in) and when I hit Alt+C nothing happens.  Do I have something set up wrong? 

Second question:  What's the best way to set up dual monitors or multi monitor system?  Unlike other programs I've worked with I looks like I can't take the windows/bins and break them free from the Media Composer window.  So if I want to spread my work out across two monitors I have to make the Media Composer window streched across two windows too, and then it starts behaving badly.  Windows start resizing themselves and snaping to places where I can't find them or adjust them.  Is it a limitation of MC that can't be overcome?  Is it possible to set a third monitor to display the sequence full screen while keeping the Source/Record setup normal?  (I'm using a Quadro FX4800 video card)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HP SB-Z400 Workstation, Intel® Xeon® Six-Core Processor W3680 3.33 GHz, 12 MB cache, 1333 MHz memory, 12GB RAM, PNY-1 FX4800 video card, Windows 7 Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:30 PM In reply to

Re: Two basic questions; selecting clips and multi-monitor

Re the second part of your question try physically swapping the monitors over and then changing the monitor layout in the control panel to match. I've had MC behave odd before and I suspect it prefers the monitors in a certain order even if the OS doesn't care.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jan 17 2014 3:16 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

and yes you can split out a third monitor but it takes a second video card search the forums as I have posted on this before

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Fri, Jan 17 2014 4:21 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 12 2010
    • Lock Haven, Pa
    • Posts 63
    • Points 1,115

So after searching and searching and posting here I have found the solution to my first problem.  To select a clip in the timeline without having a tool selected first you need to have the tracked selected, have the blue line parked on the clip and hit [T].  This will select the clip and then the Alt + C will copy it to the preview window.  I knew it had to be something simple.

As for the second question, lets say I have two monitors and I wanted to set one up as my work area and the second one as my video display.  Could it be configured that the second monitor displays the composer window?  Or if it can only display full screen playback, how do I make MC do that?

HP SB-Z400 Workstation, Intel® Xeon® Six-Core Processor W3680 3.33 GHz, 12 MB cache, 1333 MHz memory, 12GB RAM, PNY-1 FX4800 video card, Windows 7 Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 18 2014 1:31 PM In reply to

Hi Tim,

You can choose in the settings which monitor shows the full screen preview on a two monitor system. Personally, I have the bins, audio tools etc. on my left hand monitor (1), and the timeline on my right hand monitor (2).  I chose to have the full screen preview appear on monitor (1) so that the timeline isn't covered up.  On my PC, <CNTRL-SHIFT-f> toggles full screen on and off.  I don't remember if that is the default key sequence, or if I set it up that way.  Avid is very configurable.

Hope this helps.

MC 6.0.4,Gateway FX6800, i7 920 Processor, Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64 SP1), 6gb Ram, GeForce GT 710 (2gb), 2 JVC HM170U Camcorders, 1 Canon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 18 2014 2:38 PM In reply to

Tim:

So after searching and searching and posting here I have found the solution to my first problem.  To select a clip in the timeline without having a tool selected first you need to have the tracked selected, have the blue line parked on the clip and hit [T].  This will select the clip and then the Alt + C will copy it to the preview window.  I knew it had to be something simple.

Technically speaking, you're not really "selecting" the clip. You are marking in/out around a region and then loading that region into the Source monitor.

You can mark In/out around any region (ie encompassing multiple clips, portions of clips or just 1 frame). "Selecting" requires you to use one of the Segment tools and works only on whole segments. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Jan 19 2014 1:20 AM In reply to

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 27 2006
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

Back in Media Composer 5.5 and earlier (before they went 64bit) You used to be able to take the FULL SCREEN dialogue box and break it free from the Media Composer window. For what ever reason, we can NOT do that anymore. They now force you to by a third party Full Screen device. I just bought a Black Magic Intensity Pro card and sucks bad! constantly crashes Media Composer and it being shipped back.

Intel i7 4820k, 16GB Ram, Windows 8.1 [view my complete system specs]

Thanks, Charles www.coolwavepictures.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller