Latest post Mon, Jan 13 2014 4:27 AM by Carlos Sardá. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 11 2014 7:35 PM

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 21 2006
    • The New Forest, South Coast, UK
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,230

Moving from PC to MAC

My aged PC is begining to fall over, and I was looking at updating when  - I inherited a MAC G5 and I'm wondering about the following;

Can I move project data and media drives (ext FireWire formated in NTFS as well as internal SATA) from my old PC system to the new MAC system?

Will my SDI Mojo work ok on MAC?

The G5 already has FCP loaded which would be handy to retain - but would installing Avid as well confuse the poor thing.

Any advice welcomed, cheers.

2 x Avid Xpress Pro 5.x with SDI Mojo, 1 x Avid Xpress DV 4.x, all running on home-built PC's with single core processors. Sony Digibeta and DVcam... [view my complete system specs]

Lots of kit... only one pair of hands!

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 8:53 PM In reply to

Re: Moving from PC to MAC

Roger Owen:
    from my old PC system to the new MAC system?

.- A new Mac System?

Are you kidding?

What's the PC you are replacing?  A Pentum III?

A G5 is veeeeery old and painfully slow and it's been unsupported by Avid (among many others) for a long, long time.

To make you have an idea, the latest Intel MacPro's processors (the ones you can get today), are already like five or six genereations behind the newest Xeons, so go figure how antique a pre-Intel G5 is.

A G5 is, in technology time, a relic.

(And a pretty slow one)

I'm not sure, but I think the last pre-Intel Mac supported Avid version was version 3.0 and the long defunct Avid Xpress.

We are currently in version 7.0.3.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 9:25 PM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,230

Thanks for the insight. I'm an impoverished film maker running a Pentium IV PC set up from about 8 years ago. I always thought MAC's must be better as they cost more, and lots of graphics guys swear by them. My dream is to get hold of a HP XW8400, but the MAC G5 appeared for free - so I grabbed it with open arms! Time to re-investigate a HP machine?

2 x Avid Xpress Pro 5.x with SDI Mojo, 1 x Avid Xpress DV 4.x, all running on home-built PC's with single core processors. Sony Digibeta and DVcam... [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Jan 11 2014 9:32 PM In reply to

Macs cost more but a lot of that cost is the fancy finish. The new Mac Pro has a lot of horse power for sure but has practically no expansion (beyond thunderbolt) and a heft price tag. You can get very good way cheaper PCs

I'm looking at some  dual hex core Z800 refurbished machines for around the £500 pound mark with 24GB RAM and windows 7 pro installed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sun, Jan 12 2014 10:39 AM In reply to

• Roger Owen
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 98
    • Points 1,230

That's interesting, Z800 probably far more than I need, 15 years ago I was happily working Xpress Meridian on a 535Mhz PIII. Running NT! For budget reasons I have to keep to my existing Xpress Pro software and XP 32 bit, just need a bit more speed and reliability. My home made pc is way below spec with max RAM available of 1gb (not increasable). So, I'm thinking that an HP XW8400 2 x Zeon with 4Gb of Ram, and as much SATA media drives drives I can run to (I rely heavily on masses of digitised archive material) - should fit the bill. Thanks for the advice.Smile

• Sun, Jan 12 2014 4:19 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,323
    • Points 60,085
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Roger Owen:

and lots of graphics guys swear by them. 

The "Mac Myth" is been out there since the first Mac. It has always been a source of bewilderment for me. ;) Yet, it has been a very recent development that you can size a window on a Mac from all sides. lol. 

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC Ultimate 2018.10.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 13 2014 4:27 AM In reply to

Roger Owen:
    I'm an impoverished film maker

.- How poor are you?

My current computer cost me around $700 and it would make a G5 look like a Sinclair ZX80

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller