Latest post Tue, Jan 7 2014 9:10 PM by Pat Horridge. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 8:29 PM

Mac Pro performance with FCPX

When I see the videos of the incredible smooth and silky performance with FCPX running on the new Mac Pro, it really makes me long for that kind of performance in Avid.  

I'm currently running 6.5.2.1 on a 12-core Mac Pro with 10GB RAM on an ISIS, and the system is laggy.  It's not snappy or smooth.  It lags with multicam.  I have to wait a long time, sometimes many seconds for a camera to change.  And this is cutting 10:1.  

Say what you will about FCPX, they're leading the way in the area of performance and speed.  

Lenovo P710 Windows 10 Pro Dual Xeon E5-2643 v4 3.4GHz (6-core) 64 GB RAM NVIDIA M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 9:04 PM In reply to

• Edit225
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 52
    • Points 650

Re: Mac Pro performance with FCPX

I'm sure Avid would perform just as silky smooth on a new, tricked out Mac Pro that's not connected to a server.

27-inch, Late 2013 iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X 10.11.3, 32GB Media Composer 8.5.0 w/Symphony [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 9:10 PM In reply to

Re: Mac Pro performance with FCPX

Probably not I suspect. Lots of reports of issues with lag and stalls with new multicore HP Z820s in fact some are finding the newer hardware is performing worse than older kit.

There are some issues going on that are yet to be ironed out.

And yes today I showed FCP-X running on the same 2007 iMac I' running MC V7.0.3 and with the same footage as source it was fluid and smooth. Did it have all the tools I needed? No.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller