Latest post Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:29 PM by Vilem. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 1:58 AM

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 27 2006
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

MC 7.0.3 & Black Magic Intensity Pro

Hello & Thank You! I have some questions regarding my purchase of the Intensity Pro card for my PC. I am so frustrated that I am ready to ship it back to Amazon.

I bought this specifically for avid media Composer 7.02 with Symphony Option. 

Concerns:
    1)My first concern is when the device is actually working, the audio outputs through HDMI and I can not figure out how to keep the audio going through my PC Speakers. The BM control panel is worthless for this. Premiere CC actually outputs through my PC speakers. I love that setup.

#2 - Once in a while the card works fine. When I press spacebar or play it lags for a split second then plays. After a while the card either stops playing a video signal (just audio through TV) or I get several Errors within Media composer. This is driving me insane! 

It seems to work perfectly in Premiere Pro CC but again, I bought this for Avid Media Composer.

I am running a Intel i7 4820K, Windows 8.1, 16GB ram

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles

Intel i7 4820k, 16GB Ram, Windows 8.1 [view my complete system specs]

Thanks, Charles www.coolwavepictures.com

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:19 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,590

Re: MC 7.0.3 & Black Magic Intensity Pro

My BM intensity pro seems to work very well with mc 7.0.3.  Sometimes when i switch between apps ill get a bob/breakout box error but thats not a problem.

You should be a little more specific about "pc speakers" this has no details about how it is hooked up.

I use my intensity pro w/ 9.8 drivers (make sure you have the latest drivers for this device) hdmi out going into 2 hdmi displays using a splitter.  One is a giant tv, the other is a 24 in monitor.  The audio is using the BM intensity cable (the one with many rca cables) going into my studio monitors.

If you plan on monitoring video through your Intensity, make sure you are using the audio from that device aswell and not from another sound device such as your computers sound card.

In the past my BM intensity had issues with windows 8, so i went back to windows 7.  I have no idea how BM intensity drivers work with 8.1.

Just be very specific about your hookups.  Also saying "spacebar" doesn't really say much since a lot of people customize this key for other uses.  Mine is segment mode (overwrite), and shift space is segment splice. And my JKL is actually SDF so my left hand is on the keys while my right is on the mouse. -fastest cutter west of the missippi.

Also if you expect video to play from one device and audio from another then I find this to be a little irrational. Sync is extremely important with this work and one device should be responsible for this.

Custom pc.  Asus mobo, 2600k cpu, nvidia 580 gfx card, bm intensity pro, win 7, mc 7.0.3

w10, mc 2020.4, diy x299 7940x [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 4:30 PM In reply to

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

Specifics.

I want my audio to go through my PC SPEAKER (M-Audio Studio Monitors). When I open Premiere it does this! How do I set Avid and/or Intensity to do this.

I have the latest updates from Black Magic. Using Windows 8.1 I don NOT! want to go back to Windows 7. I am one of the few that likes Windows 8.1

Would changing PCI slots make a difference. Like I said, works good in Premiere Pro.

• Mon, Jan 6 2014 5:01 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,270

I am assuming the speakers are connected to the green output socket on your PC.

In Premiere you can set the sound to come out through the PC speakers (called "adobe audio" in the settings) and the picture through Intensity.  If you choose Blackmagic audio in the settings you get sound and picture through the Intensity.

In Avid you do not have this choice - it is either sound and picture through the Intenisty, or PC only playback. 

Although you have the option in Premiere it is not recommended because it can lead to the audio and video being out of sync.  Obviously this has not happened for you. Windows 7 and different drivers will not change anything and all video i/o cards work like this with Avid.

Your choices are:

1. Connect the speaker to the output on the Intensity using the analogue connection cable that came with it.  Now you will hear sound in Avid but not when using the PC for anything else (not ideal)

2. Connect the two outputs to a switch box or mixer and switch between them.  Some speakers actually have 2 inputs - do your M-audios?

3.  Take the sound out from the Intensity and route it to the line in on the PC sound card.  The input level should probably be set to about 22.  Then the will come out of the Intensity, go through the sound card and off to the speakers

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:03 PM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

Right right.

It did also fustraded me, that only Avid program is outputing audio thrugh the BM-card while most other common PC programe ramaine mute, like VLC players etc., most programe are not made for BM-card, and most likeley the wont, it took AVID 15 years to incoperate off the shelf outputcard. and still strugling.

I found two wayes to overcome this problem, in win system settings (device manager) for the card you may disabele BM sound,(maintaining vidieo) that will enables PC sound thrug the green plug.

If you find this way clumsy you may mix BM- & PC sound permanently by connesting both output to your loudnspeaker "in" thrugh a 600 ohm resistor( in serie connection) they may be fittet inside the audio plugs, therby creating a branching "Y" cable that will mix the two audio sourses. (You will need two 600ohm resistors, one for every branch) four if stereo.

Am I clear? Or I may send you a photo of the cables with resistors solded inside phono plugs.You may also have the resistors ouside) if you find that easyer to do.( 600ohm is aproximate, anny value between 400 and 800 ohm will also do, as long they are the same.

Good luck,

Allan

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 6:55 PM In reply to

• chillyche
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 158
    • Points 1,855

Yeah, Avid treats whatever breakout box you have as an A/V breakout box.  You can't set the software (to the best of my knowledge) to output video through one box and audio through another.  With an Ultrastudio with several connections, it's not too bad, as the others have said, you can route the Ultrastudio's auto outputs through your PC's line-in jack to send that signal out through your speakers (incidentally, the "PC Speaker" refers to the little thing that beeps when you boot up, but I think we all understood you meant the speakers plugged into the [likely green] jack on the back of your case, connected to your mobo's onboard sound, or possibly another soundcard).

I got boned because I bought the ultrastudio minimonitor which ONLY has an HDMI and SDI out, no separate audio outs, so I have to listen to Avid audio through my crummy HDMI monitor which does not have an audio out for me to patch back into the computer.

I agree that if Avid is serious about courting prosumers or using third party stuff, they should find a way to split those outputs, though, as everybody mentions, it is a place to lose all types of sync.  So... I dunno.  Maybe they should make a cheapy version of the Mojo box.

Win7 x64 Intel Core i7-3770K @3.5 GHz 32 GB RAM MC 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 6 2014 7:45 PM In reply to

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

Thank you guys for all your valuable input on the audio workflow with the card. I am REALLY considering returning this card as it's constantly making Avid error or not playing back video at all. If I do return this card, do any of you have suggestions on what kind of card I should get? I need something in this price range. No more then around $500.

I want to give a shout out to everyone on this forum! Avid Editors are the best!

Charles

• Mon, Jan 6 2014 8:28 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

I have used a Matrox Mini on the PC side ever since MC5 and am happy with it.

Matrox also have a button to select either Matrox audio or system audio out of Avid.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jan 6 2014 8:58 PM In reply to

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

mjolnarn:

Matrox also have a button to select either Matrox audio or system audio out of Avid.

Are you running Windows 8.1?

• Mon, Jan 6 2014 9:24 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

coolwavepic:

mjolnarn:

Both 7 and 8,1 and I have preview with my Matrox LE in both those OS, the Mini is currently used on my Mac

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Jan 7 2014 1:02 AM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,270

If using a mini monitor which has no analogue I route the output from my monitors speakers to a mixer or back to the sound card. However I too prefer a Matrox MX02 with Avid, although I have never had problems with my Intensity.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 3:25 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,418
    • Points 97,405

mjolnarn:
    I have too, and like Tomas have been very happy with it.  Recommended.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 6:58 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

mjolnarn:

coolwavepic:

mjolnarn:

Both 7 and 8,1 and I have preview with my Matrox LE in both those OS, the Mini is currently used on my Mac

Just did a fast morning test here when booting up connecting my Mini Max to PC Windows 8,1 and Matrox drivers 7,5,1,1966 .

Works like a charm, also the system audio selection, and no restart of Avid is needed when switching between Matrox audio and system audio.

Just be aware of that you might get lipsync problems when using system audio for syncing audio with video.

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:15 AM In reply to

• coolwavepic
    • Not Ranked
    • Tempe, AZ
    • Posts 59
    • Points 895

Thanks for all your feedback and replies. I swapped PCIe slots and actually got a two hour edit session in with no problems with the Intensity Pro. I will try again tonight and see how it behaves. If it gives me problems again I will return it and try the Matrox.

I do not like the audio workflow for the Intensity and I understand the issue with Sync. We shall see what happens with the card. I would rather have the option than to be limited.

Again, Avid editors ROCK with helping each other!

Charles

• Thu, Jan 9 2014 12:39 AM In reply to

Drop that and buy the Matrox MX02 Mini.

Don't waste time.

Only drawback I see cant output p project to a monitor unless you change the format to i.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller