Latest post Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:42 PM by S.Clements. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 21 2013 6:02 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Should You Export MXF Audio To Protools?

Hi,

I was having trouble exporting an OMF to a protools user, so I decided to export an AAF instead (with MXF audio).  However, I was simply exporting an AAF, rather than using the "send to protools" dialogue, where the default audio format for the AAF is AIFF.  I've read that MXF can be read by Protools, but that it may be difficult to work with.  What are people's thoughts on this? 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, Dec 21 2013 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: Should You Export MXF Audio To Protools?

Works fine. Been doing it for years. Never used the Send-To presets. MXF audio slows down older PT systems, but they can always convertto wave or aif on their side.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 21 2013 7:59 PM In reply to

S.Clements:
    I've read that MXF can be read by Protools, but that it may be difficult to work with.
    Since PT 9 I have found that I get the best results if I give the Protools machine my whole Avid MediaFiles\MXF\10 "Projectname" folder (The 1, 2,3....etc folders if you do not manage your media inside the MXF folder)
    With PT 11 I also get my video into Protools this way.

S.Clements:
    where the default audio format for the AAF is AIFF
    Since about PT5 wav has been better than AIFF IMO

FWIW for as long as I can remember Job has always preferred the link to method whilst I have always recommended the consolidate / embedded AAF export method. Now with cheap drives and faster external connections I think the link to method with MXF folders is the better option.  (knowing that your Audio post person is Mac or PC based can be important when sending drives)

• Sat, Dec 21 2013 9:42 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,775

Thanks so much, guys.  This info is brilliant!

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller