Latest post Wed, Jan 8 2014 4:22 PM by Abeyta. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:02 PM In reply to

Re: New Mac Pro released need advice

Pat Horridge:
    The GPU is basically built into the hardware so you are locked.
    Recent articles on iFixit and OWC suggest it IS in fact replaceable.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:32 PM In reply to

But it is a custom PCB. Another unique feature is the lack of "Crossfire" connectors. Anandtech theorizes it is built in to the main connectors.

It will be interesting if 3rd party is willing to invest the resources to make custom GPU for the Mac Pro segment. I think in NVidia's case, they will even if it is modest sales compared to the rest of the products. Being left out of the Mac Pro is probably leaving a bad taste.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:56 PM In reply to

Yes that's right it's an apple custom PCB so you can only replace it with the same part (currently)

As Dom says it remains to be who, if anyone, decided to invest in making alternative options.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 7 2014 10:49 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

JKL32:

My question, will Avid re-program or optimize Media Composer in the near future, so it will make use of the dual GPU's in the new mac pro via Open CL rendering? Will you Avid? 

And when will the new mac pro's be tested to get qualified for use with Avid MC 7....?

And is there an adapter to use Nitrix DX with thunderbolt on the way?

And will a 4 or 6 core Xeon processor be enough for smooth editing/srubbing timeline in MC? Because my 2,6hz intel quad core mac mini seems too weak to make MC 7.0.3 smooth and responsive under mac OS 10.8.5

So wil there be an happy marriage between the new mac pro and Avid MC?

I am wondering about these questions too. I ordered the New Mac Pro 6 core in stock config with upgraded D700's. Apple says it's scheduled to ship in January. I also purchased a Pegasus2 R6 Raid for storage. I am hoping the Nitris DX Thunderbolt adapter is coming sooner than later. If not, I will be stuck on my old 5.5 system for a while longer. I'm looking forward to performance boosts in other apps like AE and Resolve with the new Mac Pro.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 2:16 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 359
    • Points 4,475

Abeyta:

JKL32:

And is there an adapter to use Nitrix DX with thunderbolt on the way?

Last month I asked a high-level person at Avid about a Thunderbolt adapter for Nitris DX - he admitted that there were no plans to make one, and doubted the one offered for Mojo will work on Nitris. Problem has also been complete lack of access to the new Mac Pro to do any type of development on.

The tendency seen at Avid is less and less hardware offerings, more 3rd party capabilities...so the future of Nitris DX on Thunderbolt is doubtful, at least at this moment.

Avid MC 2019.7 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 4:22 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Another option would be to use a Thunderbolt2 PCI expansion chassis and put the existing Nitris DX PCIE card in that. I believe Avid would need to write a driver to make this work though. It's a 4 lane card and I think that is what a Thunderbolt 2 connection is.

Macbook pros with Thunderbolt 2 have been out for several months and the new Mac Pro started shipping in late December so the computers are out now. There are other vendors that have Thunderbolt 2 products out, Promise, Sonnet, Blackmagic...not sure how they were able to develop products ahead of time.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller