Latest post Wed, Jan 8 2014 4:22 PM by Abeyta. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 19 2013 11:39 PM

• bmfwalton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 13 2009
    • Posts 57
    • Points 845

New Mac Pro released need advice

Hello,

I'm going to buy a new mac pro shortly. I just need some advice. I know MC7 isn't compatible yet but they won't even ship the Mac's until Feb. After doing some research and the amount I have to spend I have a few options. If I went from a 6 core down to a 4 core I could bump the memory up from 16 to 32. Or if I stuck with the 6 core I would have to stay with 16gb of memory. Or I could do 6 cores and 32gb of memory but drop the graphics card from dual D500 to dual D300. I've heard different opinions, like don't worry about the graphics card if all I will be doing is editing HD footage or below, which is what I will be using the computer for. Also I heard more memory than cores. Just wanted to get some knowledge here. Thanks!!! 

• Fri, Dec 20 2013 12:04 AM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

Re: New Mac Pro released need advice

RAM and graphics card are, in my opinion, much better places to invest your money if you want the best all around machine for your money. I suppose for pure rendering there are cases where the extra cores are more useful, but for that application you'd still want to max out your RAM.

I am not familiar with those Radeon cards (pretty sure that's what the Mac Pro is using, right?) but you should also research as much as possible the difference in performance as it can be a strange alchemy in my experience. For example, in the NVidia world, newer more powerful cards that may be better for gaming don't necessarily give you more CUDA cores, so for CUDA applciations like premiere or After Effects the gain is minimal in those cases (660 TI has 1334 cores versus the 760 which has 1152 cores, for example). 

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I figure since you can't upgrade the RAM, you're going to want the extra 16gigs in four years and not the extra two cores. 

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2013 3:47 AM In reply to

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2013 5:58 AM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

My bad - I thought it was soldered in. If you can get third party RAM and slot it in yourself, that's definitely the way to go. Thanks Job!

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2013 10:46 AM In reply to

Agreed - when getting a new system, I tend to focus first on the things that cannot be upgraded later - get more of those than you initially think you'll need, and then don't worry so much about the user-upgradeable parts.  You can bump those up later, often at a lower cost than what you could have done at the outset.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2013 7:17 PM In reply to

• Art Riddle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 21 2010
    • Irvine, CA
    • Posts 29
    • Points 355

We are getting the 12-core, D500, 32GB ram and 1TB drive for some of our 3D workstations.  We will wait and see what the best qualified machine is for our MC suites.  My thought is 6-core, D300, 32GB Ram and 256 drive.  If the machines with more cores gives better performance for editing we will consider them, but the cost difference is drastic for anything over 6-cores.

• Sat, Dec 21 2013 7:12 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,219
    • Points 14,740

That puppy seems screaming fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-myFXiEh2Q

And what's impressive is that throughout the video you never hear the fans!

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig mem, int and ext Raids, Mojo DX, 10.12.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 23 2013 11:08 PM In reply to

• bmfwalton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 13 2009
    • Posts 57
    • Points 845

I went into the apple store. They said you can upgrade the memory, but you should purchase what you need up front. He said it costs less that way. Not sure how when you can buy memory cheaper from someone other than apple. 

I def can't purchase anything higher than a 6 core, but can someone explain to me how the graphics card effects Avid? I know why you need one for gaming, but when is the graphics card being utilized when editing? Thanks!

• Mon, Dec 23 2013 11:39 PM In reply to

pierreh:

That puppy seems screaming fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-myFXiEh2Q

And what's impressive is that throughout the video you never hear the fans!

Single stream in half quality.

Would love to see 2-3 streams with 3-4 FX, which is more practical and common.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 25 2013 8:45 PM In reply to

For our facility, the 6-core, D700, 32GB, 1TB solution seemed the best fit to us. Our Maya users can be happy as well as the folks editing on non-Avid platforms (OpenCL users) like PPCC and FCPX. Our IT staff looked at the faster clock speed at the 6-cores and thought that the extra $1500 might not be worh it compared to the better GPU and high clock speed CPU.

best regards,

Greg

12 x Avid Medica Composer 7.0x Interplay edition. 12 x loaded Mac Pro (2009) workstations. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 25 2013 8:49 PM In reply to

bmfwalton:

I went into the apple store. They said you can upgrade the memory, but you should purchase what you need up front. He said it costs less that way. Not sure how when you can buy memory cheaper from someone other than apple. 

I def can't purchase anything higher than a 6 core, but can someone explain to me how the graphics card effects Avid? I know why you need one for gaming, but when is the graphics card being utilized when editing? Thanks!

I am unsure whether or not Avid 'pegs' the GPU as readily as PP and X. I believe certain effects and previews are accelerated by OpenGL. In any case we have not seen Avid performance gains with outfitting our workstations with K5000 cards. The others apps that use the GPU, however, scream in comparison to our non-GPU hotrodded workstations.

For specific Avid performance gains, adding RAM does seem to help in my experience. 

best,

Greg

12 x Avid Medica Composer 7.0x Interplay edition. 12 x loaded Mac Pro (2009) workstations. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 10:26 PM In reply to

• JKL32
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,945

My question, will Avid re-program or optimize Media Composer in the near future, so it will make use of the dual GPU's in the new mac pro via Open CL rendering? Will you Avid? 

And when will the new mac pro's be tested to get qualified for use with Avid MC 7....?

And is there an adapter to use Nitrix DX with thunderbolt on the way?

And will a 4 or 6 core Xeon processor be enough for smooth editing/srubbing timeline in MC? Because my 2,6hz intel quad core mac mini seems too weak to make MC 7.0.3 smooth and responsive under mac OS 10.8.5

So wil there be an happy marriage between the new mac pro and Avid MC?

Avid Media Composer 8.6, BMD UltraStudio Mini Monitor(Desktop Video 10.8), New Mac Pro 8 core, D700, 64g RAM, El Capitan [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 10:41 PM In reply to

1. Avid woulld need a major rewrite of the MC engine in order for it to take advantage of GPUs via OpenCL and other platforms. There is a rumor that Avid is working on that, but that is only a rumor and when it will be relased is anybody's guess. At the very least, I would surmise not until version 8 and not 7.5.

2. There is a qualified adapter for Mojo DX via Thunderbolt. I would assume Avid is attempting to qualifiy that as we speak for Nitris DX. Other than that, I assume it is up to the 3rd party (AJA, Blackmagic and Matrox) to qualify their respective hardware.

3. Scrubbing has been an up and down issue recently. With 3rd party hardware, it seems to be mostly down. While software only and DX hardware is mostly up (except if you are on Nitris DX using ISIS 4.2 and MC 6.5).

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:19 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

We plan to buy one once they ship.  But I am wondering if it is possible to replace the ATI graphics card with nVidia cards so that we can use CUDA to maximize After Effects.  

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 3 2014 12:33 PM In reply to

vpcmike:

We plan to buy one once they ship.  But I am wondering if it is possible to replace the ATI graphics card with nVidia cards so that we can use CUDA to maximize After Effects.  

No this is one of the limitations. The GPU is basically built into the hardware so you are locked.

One option would be to look at a thunderbolt extnder and add external graphic cards there but that's not a cheap option and I'm not sure if you'd get enough data throughput.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller