Latest post Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:15 PM by mjolnarn. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 25 2013 9:30 AM

• fredddddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

can't relink previously edited clips after importing them again

Hello guys,

I'm having a curious problem since this morning and I thought maybe you could give me a hand...First some informations :

I'm using MC 6.0.5 (Z800, WIN7 64) on an ISIS Server....This week end I deleted by mistake a workspace of a project finished some months ago....Ths thing is that we may need to re edit in january...The rushes come from 4 sources : CanonC300, Sony EX3, GOPRO and Canon 5D...This week end I asked my assistant to re-import C300 and EX3 rushes...So he used the "link to ama volume" and then transcoded everything in DNxHD120...I now have in a huge bin the newly transcoded clips (which, obviously, have exact same names as old offline clips)....But when I try to relink the old footages, MC says that no clips were relinked...I then moved every mxf files in the same folder, deleted the databases and, as i'm writing, it rebuilds the databases....Is it normal ? I could try to batch import in every footage bin, but i'm not sure it would work...I tried some time ago to do it, and avid replied it was ama files, and he couldn't batch import them....

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you a lot in advance :)

• Mon, Nov 25 2013 9:44 AM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 740

Re: can't relink previously edited clips after importing them again

HI,

sometimes Media Composers relink funktion does not what you want.

The rock solid solution I figured out is to give your old and new clips exactly the same tapename.

We do not use Tape names in our workflow at all but sometimes when Avid does not relink we change the workflow.

AFAIK (Pleas correct me if I got sth wrong) Avid relinks in a strict order.

First MC tries to get Timecode and Tapenames.

If no Tapename exists it uses the REFID (XDCAM PRODISK)

If that does not exist it uses the original Filename.

So you can see if you give your imported footage a tapename and use the same name for the reimported/transcoded footage it should work.

Good Luck Björn

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Nov 25 2013 10:09 AM In reply to

• fredddddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thank you a lot !

I'm gonna try that as as soon as One of my avid systems is unused !

• Mon, Nov 25 2013 12:35 PM In reply to

Try this:

Highlight the Offline clips and the newly transcoded clips in the Bin.

right click and choose Relink

set to Relink selected items in Open Bins

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Nov 25 2013 3:33 PM In reply to

• fredddddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Hello !

Thank you a lot for your help....Things are getting a little better here....I could relink 10 days out of 25 days of shooting...I noticed that the rushes I couldn't relink don't have the "start tc" filled in the columns....When I try to fill the column it gets empty after i press the "enter" key....And the rushes I could relink have all the correct informations in the columns....Is there a way I can force the "start tc" to check if it would help...I tried to select both clips (offline and online) but no luck...I guess it may also be because of the absence of "start tc"....Anyway I'm gonna upgrade tonight to MC 7.0.2....Maybe I could relink in the other way : relink my offline clip to the ama source ? and then re-transcode ?

Thank you again for your help, I'll let you know about the advancement of my research :)

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 12:17 PM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 740

HI again,

to set the right timecode try to right click one clip and choose "modify" -> Set timecode by field.

It should be some work, but after setting the right timecode and the "tapename trick" everything should relink fine.

Without the Timecode you will never be able to relink. Even in MC 7.0.2

Good Luck

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 26 2013 1:29 PM In reply to

• fredddddy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

Thank you !

The only problem is that when I try to modify the timecode using right click it says "error no source media found" after I click ok....I guess because the medias have been deleted....

• Tue, Nov 26 2013 3:15 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

fredddddy:

.Anyway I'm gonna upgrade tonight to MC 7.0.2....Maybe I could relink in the other way : relink my offline clip to the ama source ? and then re-transcode ?

This seemed to be a good idea

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller