Latest post Sat, Apr 12 2014 6:48 PM by jpjd. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 21 2013 9:43 AM

• Ben
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 22 2011
    • London
    • Posts 52
    • Points 750

Audio Scrubbing Activated By Interface Button, NOT Capslock

I'm sure this has been suggested before but surely it would be preferable to have audio scrubbing activated using an interface button above the timeline rather than needing to have capslock on.  I find it quite annoying when switching between applications and forget I have capslock on, then start typing only to have to delete it BECAUSE IT'S ALL IN CAPS FOR NO REASON!  And please note this should be a button above the timeline that is easily accessible, not hidden in a settings menu as it's likely something users will want to turn on/off regularly.  Thank you!

• Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:38 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 96,470

Re: Audio Scrubbing Activated By Interface Button, NOT Capslock

Oh, yes please!!!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 2 2013 11:28 AM In reply to

Just hold the Shift key then let go. Anything you can do from the keyboard beats something on the interface that requires a mouse. Minus One.

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 12:54 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 52
    • Points 750

Roger Shufflebottom:

Just hold the Shift key then let go. Anything you can do from the keyboard beats something on the interface that requires a mouse. Minus One.

I disagree, it's still more annoying to hold down shift every time than it is to just click the function on or off.  I suppose it depends how you use it but for me I would leave it on most of the time and occasionally turn it off, like snapping.  If you don't use it often then holding shift every now and then would be OK.

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 1:31 PM In reply to

Leaving it on makes video scrubbing less smooth and annoys everyone else in the room!

iMac i5 27", 24GB RAM, OS 10.11.6 with Symphony 8.10., BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.12.5 with MC 8.10 and BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 1:50 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,102
    • Points 22,610

Rodger I for one would like it . It does not have to eliminate your preferred method just adds a preferance for others .I know as a instructor you are set in your way to do things and require students to copy your method or fail but there are lots of us that take a differiant path ...progress through innovation not standing still...

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 2:00 PM In reply to

• Ben
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 52
    • Points 750

Roger Shufflebottom:

Leaving it on makes video scrubbing less smooth and annoys everyone else in the room!

I agree with it annoying other people, that is true, although if others were in the room (who weren't involved in the edit) I imagine the editor would be wearing headphones anyway.  I didn't realize it makes video scrubbing less smooth, if so that would certainly be added to the fix wish list too.

As Tom has said though I think the option would be nice and then if people want to use it they can, if not they can go about their business as usual.

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 4:48 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,510

I agree with Roger.

You have your choice -- leave it on with caps lock. Instantly turn it on as needed with the shift key. Yes, caps-lock slows things down, but that's inevitable. Scrubbing the audio uses system bandwidth, and turning caps lock into a clickable icon won't change that fact.

When I sit down with Premiere and have to click a key every time I want to turn scrubbing on and off, I long for my Avid. 

• Mon, Dec 2 2013 10:38 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,342
    • Points 96,470

When I'm swapping between Avid and AE having to turn on and off caps lock so that I can either hear audio in MC or see pictures in AE is a right royal pain.  As I said earlier, oh, yes please!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 7 2013 1:24 AM In reply to

not too mention,  holding shift doesnt work if your trimming unless im missing something? so you have to use caplock in that case.

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 7 2013 11:06 AM In reply to

Yes, of course it works when trimming. I used to use the Caps Lock, as a quick glance at the keyboard indicated that scrubbing was on (unlike, say FCP or Premiere). These days I just press Shift. I can sort of see the point of an interface button if continually swapping to another app where you don't want Caps Lock on, but generally, use the keyboard, not the mouse for speed. And if you want to see a really dumb implementation of this, try Premiere Pro where you have to go into the Preferences and the audio sub-menu to activate or deactivate scrubbing. You can do this with the mouse, though!

• Fri, Dec 27 2013 11:33 PM In reply to

• Kingsride
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 10 2013
    • Posts 65
    • Points 755

The original UI design way back to version 1 of MC was pretty inspired.

However, if there was one big mistake the avid designers of old made, it was to activate audio scrub using the Caps lock button.  It should have been a user assignable key from the start.

Having it on the Caps lock button constantly trips me up when moving between apps, or switching between editing tasks and 'typing' tasks with the app itself.

Make it asssignable and editors can put it where they want.  Keep the caps lock option if you want, but make that an option that can be disabled in a settings window.

Perry

Macbook Pro Retina | 750GB | 10.10.5 | MC 8.4.2 | Symphony Option [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 12 2014 6:48 PM In reply to

• jpjd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 22 2014
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

I AGREE!!!  PLEASE REMOVE AUDIO SCRUB FROM THE CAP LOCK BUTTON!!!  Oh sorry, I wan't shouting...I was just coming out of Media Composer.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller