Latest post Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:26 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 19 2013 7:59 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Change Bin/Window Opening Behaviour

The way bins and various windows open in Media Composer is very inconvenient and much time is wasted repositioning them around the place - especially on a laptop.  Media composer would be much nicer to use if bins opened in a neat, controlled way (as tabs or some other solution) rather than popping out infront of everything and requiring repositioning.  This is where FCP really shined...no time wasted rearranging windows and bins.  I've mentioned this in the forums before and the advice was to hook up another monitor to the laptop, as Avid really requires 2 monitors to work properly, however I feel that enough people are editing on laptops these days to warrant coming up with a better solution.  Also, saved custom workspaces only help with the problem to a certain degree.  The bottom line is that it's much more messy dealing with bins and windows in Avid than it is in other NLEs. 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:17 PM In reply to

Re: Change Bin/Window Opening Behaviour

Hold Option (ALT on PC) when opening the project to prevent the Bins from automatically opening.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:32 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Kenton.VanNatten:

Hold Option (ALT on PC) when opening the project to prevent the Bins from automatically opening.

Thanks, Kenton.  This actually isn't my problem.  It is the WAY the bins open - how they open up right out in the middle of the UI, instead of in a controlled unobstructive manner.  I would like a means of accessing bin material without having this behaviour which requires moving windows around.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:01 PM In reply to

I'm not sure if it will do exactly what you need, but have you tried the save bin layout feature?

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:13 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

BobbyMurcerFan:

I'm not sure if it will do exactly what you need, but have you tried the save bin layout feature?

Thanks, Bobby.  I currently work strictly on a laptop, where the save bin layout feature only helps me to a certain extent.  Maybe there is more I could do to make the feature work better for me, but I haven't discovered the right formula.  Bins are added throughout an edit, so layouts would have to continually be set up and saved.  I think bins should be able to be "twirled down" same as folders, for easier access to clips.  Maybe bins could have a smaller triangle beside them to twirl them open.

• Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:26 PM In reply to

I do agree that bin and window management in MC feels very clunky. And I miss the Superbin.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller