Latest post Thu, Aug 31 2017 6:27 PM by ShortcutHunter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 24 2013 9:47 PM

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

"AMDConsumer Preload Error unable to Preload Audio"

Hi there

i've been having a tricky, time-sapping error in MC7.02, and after searching have not found any solutions...

"AMDConsumer::Preload() Error [0] unable to: Preload Audio Samples: numSamplesToPreload"

Others have been having it too it seems:

http://avidl2.blogspot.com/2009/10/avid-l2-audio-mix-error.html

It happens when i scrub & play in the timeline.

I have a very simple setup - no AMA media in the timeline. All DNxHD36.

Project is 23.98, 1920x1080 - audio is all 48Khz 24bit wavs brought in as MXF.

System info 2011 2.5Gh core i5 imac, 20 Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 memory

OSX 10.8.1 first, then upgraded to 10.8.5 (which didn't fix the issue)

Media lives on a thunderbolt connected G-drive

I am using a usb connected M-audio m-track audio interface with my monitors

Have tried deleting & making a new user, re-did my settings from scratch and still have the problem.

Any help, or things to try would be wonderful as i'm falling behind more and more...

If i find any solutions or ideas elsewhere i will follow up here too.

Best

Matthew 

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Oct 28 2013 7:08 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Re: "AMDConsumer Preload Error unable to Preload Audio"

Additional info: The above error seeems to only happen in the one sequence. Other sequences are unaffected. Does this mean it's a corrupt sequence? Or perhaps corrupt media? If anyone has an inkling or suggestiosn on how to repair this i'd be very greatful. 

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 28 2013 7:50 PM In reply to

Probably a corrupt clip somewhere, and probably something having to do with audio.

Try loading your sequence (duplicate it first) and removing all audio from it to see if you get the error.  Then you can use the "divide and conquer" method of adding bits at the time until you get the error to help determine where the problem is.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:54 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Thanks Kevin, i will try that although it has started happening in another sequence now.

FYI May be a coincidence, but both time the errors have occurred in sequences where I have been cutting with music made to sound diagetic by adding some EQ and some reverb - and then have gone back to trimming the video & dialogue tracks in those scenes. (= beach ball & the error repeatedly)

• Tue, Nov 5 2013 1:33 AM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Just wanted to report back that later database rebuilds found and quarantined some audio suite precomputes (reverb) as the culprits. 

Seems my MC doesn't like multiple effects (eg EQ then reverb) on one audio clip - does anyone know if there's a better workflow? Should i be doing a mixdown & before applying successive effects?

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 10:59 PM In reply to

• JoelGriffen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 12 2009
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 645

I had your original error of, "...unable to: Preload Audio Samples:".

I had recenetly just added Audio-Suite effects and attempted to nest EQ effects as well but I didnt put the two issues together because it sometimes would play back successfully, and other times not.

I found this thread, saw you had the same audio effects situation and saw your suggested solution. 

matthewh:
    Should I be doing a mixdown before applying successive effects?

I used this solution and I do not see this error prompt anymore.  I added my audio suite effects, did an audio mixdown and then added my EQ effects to the mixdown. Just thought I'd add an update. Thanks! You just saved me a ton of troubleshooting time.

-Joel

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 12:18 AM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Great to hear! Nice for me to help someone else out for a change, even if accidentally!

One thing - i try to only do this if it's causing me problems (it's a pain in the butt) and if i do do it - i keep the original audio set to zero underneath it for the online/ mix guys to use.

• Fri, Mar 7 2014 12:43 AM In reply to

• JoelGriffen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 12 2009
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 53
    • Points 645

matthewh:
    One thing - i try to only do this if it's causing me problems (it's a pain in the butt) and if i do do it - i keep the original audio set to zero underneath it for the online/ mix guys to use.

Great Idea. My timeline is not going anywhere for this gig and I need the track space so I just made a sub sequence of the original tracks.  One thing I do in every project I work on is to make a dedicated mixdown bin. In that I put all mixdown master clips and I put a subsequence of the tracks as they were when they were mixed down. That way if the cut changes, and things get shifted around in the timeline, I will still have an untouched archive of what the tracks were when they were mixed down. And it's easy to find too. Match frame and find bin. Boom! There are the original tracks right next to the master clip. 

Thanks again Matthewh.

-Joel

• Thu, Aug 31 2017 6:27 PM In reply to

Hi guys,

just a follow up on this issue. Have been struggling with it for about 5 hours:

"ADMConsumer::PreLoad() Error [0] unable to: preload audio samples: numSamplesToPreload."

For me it was as simple as a corrupt file. Was editing audio, applied Audiosuite filter and Audio EQ. Next session Avid seemed to freeze and crash constantly during playback. Eventually narrowed it down to one section only. Re-AMA’d the source file, re-transcoded it. Replaced the 3x audio clips on the section of timeline where it would crash/freeze with the newly-transcoded audio. It was still crashing. Replaced the VIDEO track above them. This solved the problem.

Somehow applying the audio filters caused one section of the source file VIDEO to corrupt. Nb. this was NOT the section where the audio filters were applied, just randomly another section. The telltale sign was that when matchframing the first frame of the troublesome section into the Source monitor, it wouldn't play there either. Once this section was replaced however, no more problems.

MBP Mid 2014 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Pro 1536 OSX Yosemite 10.10 [view my complete system specs]

Refugee from the FCP bloodbath!

Shortcuts sought:

1) SELECT KEYFRAMES

2) ENTER SLIDE MODE

3) SHOW KEYBOARD

4) NAVIGATE FROM ONE TAB TO ANOTHER IN PROJECT MENU

5) NAVIGATE FROM HAVING A BIN SELECTED, TO SCROLLING DOWN/ NAVIGATING WITHIN THE BIN

6) ZOOM IN TO EFFECTS EDITOR KEYFRAME TRACKS

7) LABEL CLIPS

8) MOVE CLIPS AROUND VERTICALLY ON TIMELINE

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller