Latest post Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:49 PM by MikeyB. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 7:32 PM

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 21 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

AVID keeps crashing while trying to link to AMA

This is the second time I've had this problem. (The first time was while trying to view and transcode Canon T3i footage.) This time I have MXF's from a Sony EX1. I was able to link to AMA and view the files at first (though I did get one error about needing to maybe download a plug-in after the import). Now, I've tried looking at a different batch of files and AVID just crashes after a few moments to a minute of trying to import. 

I don't know if it's my macbook pro, my external hard drive, AVID, plug-ins, ... but I'm super frustrated. I'm pretty sure I have the plug-ins I should need.But I dont' know enough about all of these technical issues to trouble shoot sans frustration. At all. 

Can someone give me an idea of what might be going wrong. And how to check my plug-ins. And all of that. 

So lost.

Thanks!!!

• Mon, Oct 21 2013 7:43 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: AVID keeps crashing while trying to link to AMA

Hi,

We'll need some more info in order to help you. Which version of Avid, which MacOS version, and which version of plug-ins do you have?  You can get the plugin versions in v6.x by opening the Console in Avid (from the Tools menu) and typing ama_listplugins  In v7 they're listed in the Info tab in the Project window.

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 7:59 PM In reply to

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

So, I have mac osx 10.7.5

AVID media composer 6.5.0

and list_plugins gives:

AVCHD MTS MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.7

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1

AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0

PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.5

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2

THANKS!

• Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:06 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,030

OK, you're going to need the Sony XDCAM/XDCAM EX plugins.  Follow the link in your AMA Settings/volume mounting tab to the Avid web site, and from there follow the links through to the Sony website from where you can download the relevent plugin package. Take care to install the correct version - there's a new one for MCv7 which you don't want.  You'll have to restart the Media Composer after installation to get it to see the new plugins.

Report back how it goes for you!

• Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:39 PM In reply to

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

Okay, so now I have:

AVCHD MTS MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.7

MSP_SonyXDCAMEXMP4_64bit Sony Corporation 1.6003

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1

AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0

PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.5

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2

MVP_SonyXDCAMEX_64bit Sony Corporation 1.6003

SonyXDCAM_64bit Sony Corporation 2.3305

And when I selected all files in a folder to "link to AMA files" it give spinning ball of death for about 30 seconds and crashes. I've tried three more times now.

• Mon, Oct 21 2013 11:59 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Sony just released a new plug in 3.2.1 today

• Download plugins and documentation: www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-ma2
    • For Media Composer 6.x, Symphony 6.x and Newscutter 10.x and higher should download the latest 64 bit plug-in 3.2.1
    • XAVC supported with PDZK-MA2 v2.31 or later
    • Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 supports the VFAM Driver v4.0.1 for the PDW-series USB devices
    • Dynamic Media Folders are not yet supported with this plugin
    • Both plugins are installed by the same installer
    • New in v3.2: Support QuadHD, XAVC 2K, 24p 4K
    I recommend you upgrade to 6.5.4 which is a free upgrade and has a LOT of fixes some of which are AMA related. Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:08 AM In reply to

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

I was told earlier in this thread to use the other one, as I am using mc 6.5 not 7. ???

Also, here are the errors I'm getting and an image of the mxf's i'm trying to import. 

so confused.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:39 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Hi melruiz, just a quick note that you are doing this the wrong way.

You should be volume linking to the original XDCAM EX BPAV folder, NOT to the individual files. You need to preserve this volume structure when copying the files to your media drive. Its structure should look like this:

BPAV---

CLPR---

TAKR---

CUEUP.XML

MEDIAPRO.BAK

MEDIAPRO.XML

If you no longer have access to this then you can recreate it by importing the mxf files into Sonys XDCAM browser software available here:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro-xdcam-downloads-XDCAMBrowserMACTC

Please note this is a legacy version as the new version called Content Browser requires a serial number.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:07 AM In reply to

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

This seems wrong to me, but I'll try it. I've not done this in the past. It's not been an issue. 

Anyone else?

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:12 AM In reply to

• melruiz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 80

I'm starting to think my clips are somehow corrupt. I tried to view them in VLC and it was super weird.

A couple of them started playing but then they turned weirdly pixelated and the VO was from another shoot I did. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening? I can explain more if this doesn't make sense. 

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:14 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

Marianna:

I recommend you upgrade to 6.5.4 which is a free upgrade and has a LOT of fixes some of which are AMA related. Marianna 

Did you read this recommendation made by Marianna, I highly agree to that one myself

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:58 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,030

Ah, yes, of course. The media you're trying to link to looks like it's been ingested or perhaps transcoded by Adobe Media Encoder. The xmp files are a giveaway. The EX1 actuually doesn't store media as mxf in the first place - it makes mp4 files, I think. If you can get back to the original media folders the Sony plugin should work for you. Given where you are, try moving all the xmp files out of the folder and see if that helps.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:21 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

Just bumped this thread

ama workflows

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:18 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

melruiz:

This seems wrong to me, but I'll try it. I've not done this in the past. It's not been an issue. 

Anyone else?

Right - I constructed a long post like that because its "seemed wrong to you"?

If you do it your way spanned clips won't be joined and you'll have problems. Do it the correct way and it's much easier - point at one folder rather than selecting a bunch of clips and spanned clips will come as a single master clip - and it is the recommended workflow by Avid. Your choice.

BTW your problem linking to the clips is because Avid doesn't know what kind of .mxf clips they are so its taking a best guess. For clarity - you need to use the XDCAMEX plug not the XDCAM HiRes plug

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:24 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

MikeyB:

Ah, yes, of course. The media you're trying to link to looks like it's been ingested or perhaps transcoded by Adobe Media Encoder. The xmp files are a giveaway. The EX1 actuually doesn't store media as mxf in the first place - it makes mp4 files, I think. If you can get back to the original media folders the Sony plugin should work for you. Given where you are, try moving all the xmp files out of the folder and see if that helps.

Nah - pretty sure the EXI gives you the choice of Quicktime, .mp4 or .mxf.. not really sure, been a while since I used one ..

John

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller