Latest post Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:11 PM by Mondo. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 4:06 PM

Media Composer 7 - Exporting Reference Movies

I've run into a rather large issue with Media Composer 7 and Exporting Quicktime Reference Movies.

What happens is if there is any spot on the Timeline that is empty (i.e. no video or audio) then Avid exports a freeze frame of the last clip before the blank space. So if there is a five minute hole I get five minutes of freeze frame.

I've never run into this with any other Version of Avid and I have been able to repeat this problem on three systems with no resolution of any kind. I have tried every combo of settings in the Export Options Dialogue Box with no solution.

I've found two work arounds but find neither desirable.

1 - Export as ProRes LT or Proxy and render that to the final required codec.

(this kills the whole purpose of ref movies and being able to render with another background app to any other codec like H.264 or for DVD's etc.)

2 - Import an hour or two of black and place it on a lower video track.

Has anyone else run into this and if so have you found a fix.

If not could you please fix this Avid and give us a patch for it.

Thanks

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 4:53 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 7 - Exporting Reference Movies

You could create a black title and lay than into the blank spaces.  I don't understand why you'd need an hour of black, but even if you needed to fill an hour long hole you could do it with titles, taking up less hard drive space than an hour long import would.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:17 PM In reply to

I agree because I have done that as well, however right now I have a new timeline with close to thirty holes in it and it's to time consuming to fill each one. The client needs something ASAP to show however they are not finished shooting.

Placing Black on a lower track is much quicker and besides exporting ref movies has always worked properly before why such a major bug now.

The file size is not that large because I have imported a black.tiff still and just set the import still setting to 3600 or 7200 seconds.

Thanks

Mac Pro - 5,1 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6 Core Xeons Sierra 10.12.6 64gb of OWC RAM GTX-980Ti Video Card Avid Nitris DX Symphony 2018.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 4:57 PM In reply to

This has been an issue with MC and Symphony for so long that I gave up looking for an answer and just always captured a minute or two of black to fill the holes in the timeline. Another good one to try with ref QTs is put mixed bitrate audio into your timeline. What a mess that makes. Unfortunately the widespread adoption of quicktime as a delivery format coupled with the lack of development that would be warranted to make it a useful medium has led to all kinds of awkward workarounds having to be invented. Sorry that doesn't answer your question, but you are not alone in your frustration with Avid. Too bad that neither Apple nor Adobe are nipping at their heels anymore to push them to fix basic stuff.

2013 Mac Pro: 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES 32GB 1867 MHz DDR3 RAM OSX 10.11.3 MOJO DX MC8.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 8:01 PM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

I just tried this on my MC v7.0.2 and was able to export a sequence with a 2sec black hole in the middle with no problem.  Which version MC are you using?

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:55 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply anyway.

I will go back to what I used to do and that is doing Video and Audio Mixdowns. The Video Mix Down gets rid of the freeze frames and the Audio Mix Down fixes the Mixed Sample Rate issues.

Thanks anyway, good to here I'm not the only one with these issues.

• Mon, Oct 21 2013 10:58 PM In reply to

I am also using V7.0.2 on three systems and they are all doing the same thing.

As in a my previous post I will just go back to Video and Audio Mixdowns.

Thanks

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:57 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

Avid uses the files stored in its own media directory to create black when exporting reference movies...these files by default are stored in the system/users/public Documents/Avid MediaFiles on a PC. and under supporting files on a Mac. If you have a permissions problem with that folder, esp under Mountain Lion, then Quicktime will have an issue referencing them.

Also I've seen problems when you have/don't have "Use network media references" and "add shares to media drives" turned on. I would try it with settings flicked both ways.

The reason you see a still frame is a QT Ref thing - if it can't find a file it will throw up a still frame of the last valid frame.

PS - this is a system specific thing. Not everyone has the problem and personally I've not seen QT ref problems since about V3.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 3:48 AM In reply to

Hi Mondo this actually makes sense, the only thing is that Verion 6.5.x worked fine previously on these machines.

Is there a particular way that I should set the permissions on that folder. I have repaired the permissions both in Disk Utility and by booting into recovery mode and running Disk Utility from there. I've also repaired the permissions by running Terminal in Recovery Mode and entering resetpassword (not to reset the password though). I then repaired the permissions from the Dialogue box that comes up there. I will try repairing them again but maybe I can just manually set the correct permissions on this folder and all it's sub folders if I know exactly how to set them. Permissions settings sometimes confuse me and I could easily do more damage than good if I screw up.

Mondo:

Also I've seen problems when you have/don't have "Use network media references" and "add shares to media drives" turned on. I would try it with settings flicked both ways.

I'm not near an Avid now so I need to ask were these settings can be found in the previous sentance you sent me. I know it makes me look stupid but I have to ask so I can try and resolve this ASAP.

Again as I've said to everyone who has responded to my posts Thank you very much for your help.

• Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:11 PM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

technogeek.ca:

Hi Mondo this actually makes sense, the only thing is that Verion 6.5.x worked fine previously on these machines.

Is there a particular way that I should set the permissions on that folder.

You need to read and follow the instructions in the Mountain Lion sticky at the top of this forum and search the Avid site for the optimising your system for Mountain Lion .. those things help as well.

technogeek.ca:
    I'm not near an Avid now so I need to ask were these settings can be found in the previous sentance you sent me. I know it makes me look stupid but I have to ask so I can try and resolve this ASAP.

No one need feel stupid around here - when you go to export a quicktime ref is you click on the settings box it comes up with a bunch of options (includion audio mixdown and the ones mentioned in my previous post). Hope you solve the issue.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller