Latest post Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:49 AM by tvshrine. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 1 2013 2:44 AM

• tvshrine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,575

job outlook for transplanting to LA

I'm really considering the big move but I've been trying for 9 months to get something full time with no luck, but I have heard they won't hire anyone from outside the state. I hate freelance but I get that it's going to be necessary.

I'm just looking to see if there is any insight from anyone on how consistent work might be or if there is any bias against outsiders that don't have credits from in-state. I have 10+ years on AVID and a halfway decent reel, but I just want to know before I completely risk everything and quit my job that I have a fairly good chance at being able to make a living editing out there.

Thanks

AVID newscutter Nitris DX 10.0.327 HPxw8600 BCC 8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 1 2013 2:24 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

Re: job outlook for transplanting to LA

This is a broad question which makes it hard to answer. Is there work here? Yes. But in what field.

If you tell me you want to be a feature editor, you have a long road with a lot of networking, hard work, and some serious luck on your side ahead of you.

On the other hand, if you said you really want to work in Reality TV, and you are willing to do an assistant job at first while you learn the ropes and network like crazy, then I would say you have a much better chance.

But you should probably be prepared for a much higher cost of living than you are used to. And don't plan on living off of your earnings for a while. To be safe I would say a year. That gives you time to build a network of folks who will help you get into the job you want when it comes up.

I don't know of anyone who won't hire you because you are from "out of state". Most people in the industry out here are originally from out of state. But they would have to be very desperate to hire you from another state when there are folks here they can already hire. So yes, you need to be here to work here.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Oct 1 2013 6:14 PM In reply to

• tvshrine
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,575

Thanks for your response, that's very helpful, I knew features were a different animal  and wasn't striving that high.  I'm totally willing to edit anything that pays the bills.  I'm aware of the cost difference and have enough savings to last me awhile.  I'm just not very good at networking, I was hoping a good reel would be enough, I'm just hoping it's not more of who you know than what you know. 

AVID newscutter Nitris DX 10.0.327 HPxw8600 BCC 8 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:52 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

It's ALWAYS who you know followed by what you know. To find the jobs that are available, you have to know people who can connect you with the resources. That said, there are linkedin groups that occasionally get posts for editors such as:
    http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1749427&trk=my_groups-b-grp-v 

And Facebook if you have an account: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ineedaneditor/permalink/10151619546547217/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/14427613241/permalink/10152239810663242/

And of course, if you do come out, make sure to attend Editors' Lounge. Lots of connections for work made at these events.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Tue, Oct 1 2013 10:09 PM In reply to

Following up on what Terry said about who you know, hiring often goes like this ...

1) Choose from the list of editors provided by the EP (Executive Producer) or others on the production

2) Choose from all of the editors we've used in the last 1-2 years that have the skill set & personality we need

3) Choose from referrals provided by our staff, e.g., producers, post supers, post coordinators, editors and assistant editors

4) Choose from resumes of those with many, many shows of the same type we're doing

5) We never get to #5 .... but, that's just us.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,259
    • Points 30,520

What market are you in now?  Why do you want to leave?  What are you cutting now and what do you really want to cut?

I think the cost of living comment is extremley important.  Are you willing to take a hit in the quality of life you might have now in your current market to edit reality TV in LA?  And that quality of life is another huge item to consider...LA may be heaven for some folks, but for others looks like hell.  

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:18 PM In reply to

• tvshrine
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,575

I'm aware of the expense, LA is a beautiful place with perfect weather, and everyone wants to live there that's why it's expensive. I've come to terms with that and all it will entail.  Being in the Midwest I am just completely over the horrible weather, it's not just cold in the winter, summer is hot and humid.  I really have no complaints about where I work now, it's just time to move on if I'm going.  I've always loved editing but I'm in a bit of a mid life crisis and have been considering going back to school (in LA of course) to study Landscape Design.  I loved Randall's and TCurren's posts for their honesty but it does make me want to go with my college idea.  I have the Midwest work ethic of just keeping my head down and getting the work done and that's always been enough anywhere else in the country. I'm just not the kind of person who keeps in contact with people just because they are a good job contact, it seems like something I might have to do and the insincerity of it makes me nauseous. 

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:28 PM In reply to

I'm guessing Landscape Design requires referrals as well ... but I could be wrong.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 4:50 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 37,770

tvshrine:
    the insincerity of it makes me nauseous. 

It doesn't have to be insincere. I certainly am not one of those people, and I hate "networking" in that way. But I know a lot of people. And enjoy conversing with them. That is why Editors' Lounge came about.

What you and I are doing right here right now is networking. Are you being insincere right now? I'm not.

Don't confuse networking with Schmoozing.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:49 AM In reply to

• tvshrine
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,575

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that others are insincere with their networking but that I might have to resort to possibly being insincere by keeping in contact with people just to use them as a job contact out of desperation.

I don't consider this networking, just chatting.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller