Latest post Tue, Sep 24 2013 6:16 PM by luca.mg. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 20 2013 10:19 PM

• Jay Kadlec
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 20 2012
    • United States
    • Posts 15
    • Points 240

Won't import + other question

My Avid 7 interplay edition won't import footage (mov files), and yet it will still ama link and transcode them.
    I've tried re-installing and it still won't do import. It freezes on the import video loading bar and crashes- no error or anything. Any ideas why it's doing this? It was working fine before I upgraded to 7...

This is just a random glitch I've noticed in Avid 7 and wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen too...So I'll be editing along and then all of a sudden my sequence is gone...no accidental hitting of delete sequence...just gone. I have to go into the Avid Attic to recover it.

Operating System: MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1--- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban 45nm Technology--- RAM: 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-11-11-28... [view my complete system specs]

Jay Kadlec jaykadlec productions | coastline studios

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Sun, Sep 22 2013 11:22 AM In reply to

Re: Won't import + other question

What kindof QT is it exactly?

Some QT files, Avid can bypass the QT engine allowing a more efficient conversion (faster and unlikley gamma or color issue). Traditional import strictly depends on QT engine.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 23 2013 11:37 AM In reply to

• Jay Kadlec
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 15
    • Points 240

By what kind of QT do you mean what codec?
    I believe it's an h264 codec (shot on a canon t2i but also does the same thing for Nikon D800 footage, I believe both are h264 codec however). 

Operating System: MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1--- CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Thuban 45nm Technology--- RAM: 16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-11-11-28... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Sep 23 2013 1:31 PM In reply to

Have you tried AMA link then transcode?

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 23 2013 3:50 PM In reply to

• Jay Kadlec
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 15
    • Points 240

"My Avid 7 interplay edition won't import footage (mov files), and yet it will still ama link and transcode them."

Yes that works fine...and I realize it's basically the same thing...It's just bugging me that the import won't work.

• Tue, Sep 24 2013 12:39 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

Jay Kadlec:

"My Avid 7 interplay edition won't import footage (mov files), and yet it will still ama link and transcode them."

Yes that works fine...and I realize it's basically the same thing...It's just bugging me that the import won't work.

No it's not the same thing: it's faster!

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 24 2013 12:42 PM In reply to

luca.mg:

Jay Kadlec:

No it's not the same thing: it's faster!

And it's a different process. Legacy import forces you at conform to re-import the whole clip. AMA and you can re-link and Transcode just what you need.

Import and AMA link - Transcode couldn't be more different.

But Import should still work....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 24 2013 2:07 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

Pat Horridge:
    Import and AMA link - Transcode couldn't be more different.
    To be more precise: back at the time when AMA was first introduced AMA link and consolidate/transcode was faster than straight import, I didn't compare what the speed is like on the latest releases, so things may have changed, my apologies for any inconvenience my statement may have caused.

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 24 2013 2:20 PM In reply to

• Jay Kadlec
    • Not Ranked
    • United States
    • Posts 15
    • Points 240

When I said basically the same thing I meant that they both get footage into the project.
    I had heard that ama-transcode is a faster process. Question from that fact- then what's the merit of importing? 

• Tue, Sep 24 2013 2:35 PM In reply to

Jay Kadlec:

When I said basically the same thing I meant that they both get footage into the project.
    I had heard that ama-transcode is a faster process. Question from that fact- then what's the merit of importing? 

I only import contetn where I know I need all of it and it's a fast import and I want to edit with it in that codec.

Other than that import is for things I can't AMA

It's also needed to do conforms for clients that imported their media for offline (rather than AMA and Transcode) and I then get the oppertunity to charge them more for the additional import time and space used.

An AMA conform can be 5 or 6 times quicker than a batch import conform and that can save hundreds of pounds.

If you do an import and then an AMA Transcode you'll notice few cores used during the import but most or all during the Transcode.

That's why I term the import as a legacy process.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 24 2013 6:16 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,612
    • Points 65,845

Pat Horridge:
    I term the import as a legacy process.
    ...and so do I! But as for the QT gamma shift is to be seen what is the best workflow...

peace luca

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller