Latest post Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:00 PM by Chris Hocking. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 19 2013 10:37 PM

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Blackmagic UltraStudio Express - Trim Performance

Hi Avid Gurus,

I'm running 10.8.4 on a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 iMac with 32GB of RAM.

I have a Blackmagic UltraStudio Express hooked up to the iMac via Thunderbolt running the 9.7.7 Desktop Video Drivers.

With both Avid 6.5.2 and 7.0.2, when the Client Monitor is active, if I jump into trim mode and trim forward, the performance is horrible. It moves about 4 frames per second when holding the mouse down. However, if I disable the Client Monitor (or toggle the HW/SW switch), the performance is great - it steps through as if I'm scrubbing.

When not in trim mode - performance is fantastic, and everything works perfectly. It's just Trim Mode that seems to grind the system to a snails pace.

I've heard of lots of people complaining about this - but have never experienced it first hand until I did some tests.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Given that scrubbing performance seems to be great when not in trim mode, there is no technical reason why this should be happening as the system can easily handle this playback - so I'm assuming this is a bug, which is concerning, as I've heard of people complaining about it since the release of Thunderbolt IO devices. Talking to other facilities - it seems this bug exists for both AJA and Blackmagic users.

Avid - is this a known issue with Thunderbolt IO devices? Is there any workaround?

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards, Chris! 

• Sun, Sep 22 2013 7:41 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Blackmagic UltraStudio Express - Trim Performance

It seems to be more of a problem with Open IO than Thunderbolt.  Make sure you're using the latest Blackmagic drivers for whatever version of Media Composer you've installed.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Sep 22 2013 8:03 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Maybe... but I haven't heard Blackmagic DeckLink users on MacPro's complaining about the same problem.

Be interested to see if the problem still exists if I put a DeckLink card inside a Thunderbolt Chassis.

Can anyone from Avid confirm this is a known issue with Open IO and Thunderbolt devices? 

• Sun, Sep 22 2013 11:03 AM In reply to

• janusz
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris
    • Posts 394
    • Points 4,570

I had this problem this summer with a machine with the latest version of the software+drivers (at the time it was MC 6.5.2.1) on a Mac Pro with a PCI-e Decklink card.  Switching to software+full screen playback I found normal performance.  So the problem is not limited to thunderbolt, but is indeed a problem with either OpenIO or the blackmagic drivers.

Janusz

MC 2018.12 / OS 10.12.6 + others elsewhere [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:00 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Thanks Janusz - greatly appreciated.

I'll have to do some tests across multiple systems and see if I can reproduce the bug.

Sounds like OpenIO is the issue then - it's not a Blackmagic Driver issue, as AJA users are also seeing the same issue.

Can anyone from Avid comment? Is using Avid hardware the only way to get proper performance? 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller