Latest post Mon, Sep 16 2013 9:13 PM by Patrice Scanlon. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 14 2013 5:00 AM

MC7 non-admin 10.8.4 accounts in educational lab problems

Please forgive me in advance if this question has been asked already.

I am the technical director for a college that teaches video production. I have 300 users per year that could become Avid Media Composer users and purchasers. So far, this program works awesome if you are the Admin User that installed the program to this account. Standard users, all 300 students, cannot AMA link to a volume/folder with a media file such as MP4, MP3, AIFF, WAVE, H.264, jpeg, png, etc. unless the original Admin account where Media Composer was installed links to it first. I've even gone as far as to create a new User local account that has Admin privileges and again, this Admin User cannot link to the AMA volume/folder unless the original install of MC7 Admin User account accesses the volume/folder first.

Perhaps this software is not meant to be used with multiple standard &/or Admin user accounts on a Mac 10.8.4 system? Perhaps there is some way to correct this problem that I am unaware of. Nonetheless, if this software can only run on a single Admin User account, then it would have been nice if this was clearly stated before we spent the money to purchase multiple copies of this software. In fact, we did purchase the Academic Institutional Licenses. Maybe in the future this version can use all features of the program while being logged in as a Standard User??

I have partioned the system drive into 2 equal parts. One for the System Hard drive (read only) and one for the Media Files drive. The Media Files Drive has 2 folders, one for Avid MediaFiles folder and within this folder the MXF folder and within this folder is the 1 folder as well as another folder for Avid Projects. The Media Files drive has read/write permissions for all users. Unfortunately, this is not solving the problem either, even after permission repairs.

This is a huge problem. I cannot give out the Admin User account to the students working in the labs. We are unable to purchase a media server or the ISIS system. 

Further information: The students’ login to the iMac's (either 21.5" mid-2012 i5 core with 8 GB of RAM & 5400 rpm system hard drive or 27" early 2013 i7 core with 8 GB of RAM & 7200 rpm system hard drive) via Active Directory through the IT server on campus. (By the by, I know that 5400 RPM drives are terrible! Budget issues led to this purchase and these machines were not originally intended to be video editing stations.)

What would be ideal in this particular setup is if the students can login through Active Directory as a Standard User to the machine and work off of their own external FW 800 7200 rpm (or better) external hard drive.

Please advise on how to overcome this dilemma ASAP! I would love to hear your expert opinions!!

MacBook Pro 15" (non-retina) 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, OWC SSD 250GB, 8 GB of RAM (mid-2012) Mac OS 10.8.4 Media Composer 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 16 2013 3:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,820
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: MC7 non-admin 10.8.4 accounts in educational lab problems

Patrice

Did you connect with support on this?  Just wondering if a case was started......   

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 16 2013 4:04 PM In reply to

Hello Marianna!

I'm contacting support today! I was hoping someone else has run into this issue and had a fix for me, but no such luck so far!

I'll reply to this post again once I have sorted out the problem with support!

Thanks!

Patrice

MacBook Pro 15" (non-retina) 2.6GHz Intel Core i7, OWC SSD 250GB, 8 GB of RAM (mid-2012) Mac OS 10.8.4 Media Composer 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 16 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,736
    • Points 224,820
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Patrice

Once you call in and they issue you a case # - email me so I can jump in and get to the heart of the issue quicker.

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Mon, Sep 16 2013 9:13 PM In reply to

Just got the solution from Avid Support! In case anyone out there may find yourself in the same boat some day here is the solution...

"Please set the permission on users\shared\avidmediacomposer\ama management folder and all the files inside it to read and write. " When you perform a Repair Permissions through Disk Utility it is changing the permissions inside the AMA Management folder so not everything inside the folder has read/write permission, hence the AMA link errors. Just remember to set the AMA Management folder and all enclosed items to read/write after running Permission repairs!
    Thanks for your time and help, Marianna! I love AVID and the support! All the best! Patrice
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller