Latest post Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:54 PM by Patrick. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 6 2013 3:28 PM

• kcrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 7 2006
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Sharing Projects/Sequences/Resources between MC stations (Mac & PC)

Hello Folks:

I am working with a co-producer who plans to take sequences I create and add to them, then produce the final product.  Rather than spending my time/computer resources rendering/exporting/transcoding/etc. to an MPEG2 for him to import to his timeline, I would like to send my finished sequence and file assets (images, etc) to him so he can open/import and continue from there.

I'm sure there are many ways to do this kind of workflow, but what would be your recommendations? Are there any gotchas we should be aware of?

I am working with MC7 on a Mac and my partner is working with MC6 on a PC.  We are not on the same local network and would most likely need to transfer files via an FTP site.

Thanks much!
    Kevin 

Media Composer 7.0, iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, Mac OS X 10.8.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 6 2013 3:43 PM In reply to

Re: Sharing Projects/Sequences/Resources between MC stations (Mac & PC)

As long as you guys both have the same media or raw elemnts all with be good.  Just swap the projects back and forth as needed.  The only gotcha is that your MC 7 sequence bin will not open on a MC 6 system currently.  The second machine will need to upgrade to 6.5.3.  Any other iteration of MC 6 will not work.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Fri, Sep 6 2013 4:31 PM In reply to

Todd has the right idea about project and bin swapping, but the second machine doesn't have to go to 6.5.3 -- version 6.0.4 should work with MC7 bins (reference) - so if the v6 system can move up to that version, things should work OK.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:47 PM In reply to

Right you are usa..... all the better.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Mon, Sep 16 2013 6:37 PM In reply to

• kcrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

We setup our media drives to have the same exact paths with respect to their root levels (he has a PC, I have a Mac).  However, when my co-editor opens up the .avp file the project comes up fine, but the clips in the bin (and the sequence) are in OFFLINE mode.  Will REFRESH MEDIA DIRECTORIES fix the issue?

I am also wondering how Avid deals with the associated MXF files - will they be created when the refresh is done?

Thanks!
    Kevin 

Media Composer 7.0, iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB, Mac OS X 10.8.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 16 2013 7:15 PM In reply to

Or rebuild those databases, especially if they are copied from one type of formatted drive (HFS+ to NTFS) to another.

Also, I'd suggest renaming the media folders you already have to a number other than "1".  Any new media would be created in a new "1" folder and that way you only have to send that additional media instead of the entire project again.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Mon, Sep 16 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

I'm a little confused, but it sounds like you're just wanting to send him your cut, correct?  If so, I think AAF export consolidating the media to a folder which you can FTP to him (along with the AAF) is all you need to do.  Assuming his project settings match yours he can then drag the media into his MFX folders, import the AAF, and Media Composer should detect the change and link everything.  Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do?

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 18 2013 9:15 PM In reply to

• kcrea
    • Not Ranked
    • Tennessee
    • Posts 26
    • Points 370

Hi Patrick:

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you.

Basically, we are trying to do the following:

1. I am creating a sequence of still images that will using pan/zoom and dissolve effects; the length of the sequence will be approximately 58 minutes,

2. I want to send this to my co-producer who will add title-text on-top of my sequence, he will also add an audio track as well,

3. My co-producer will then add an intro and outro to the sequence and render out the final product in different formats.

I thought that just sending my project info would be enough for him to open and start adding his parts, however it seems like he will need my MXF folders in addition (?) - this is the basic question from my last post.

Since I already "imported" the images into my bins when I created the project, this is when the associated MFX files were created; these won't be created by my co-producer opening my .avp file - right?  In other words, opening the project will not trigger an auto-compile of the MXF files - I have to send them to him?  (He has the same original images on a media drive with the same dir structure, except I am on a Mac and he is on a PC)

If I understand your post, he has to have a copy of my MXF folders VERSUS just having the original image files on his media drive. (This is why I asked about doing a media database refresh which I hoped would generate a folder of MFX images on his side; sort-of like an auto-import based on the images I already imported into my bins)

Anyway, the steps above are the current workflow.  My background is in software engineering, so I thought a similar project "sharing" workflow would work for MC.

Thanks,
    Kevin 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Sep 18 2013 10:54 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

Yes, I think exporting it out to him will be the best option for you in this case.  Select your finished sequence and then go to  the file menu and select Export.  Choose AAF and select the options appropriate for your sequence, but it should look something along the lines of the attached pic.  Export it to a folder that's somewhere easy to find (create one on your desktop perhaps).  Give him that folder, which will contain an AAF file and a complete Avid Media Files folder structure.  He can then take the MXF files out of the folder called "1" and drag them to his other media folders.  When he then imports the AAF file into media composer, Avid should have scanned his medai drives and detected them, and link them accordingly.

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller