Latest post Wed, Aug 14 2013 12:40 PM by adam5000. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 4:45 PM

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

Spotting Session

I ran across an app called "Spotting Session" the other day and it looks really interesting for taking time coded notes during screenings.  It says that the company is an official development partner with Avid, so that's a huge plus right off the bat.  If anybody has used it or knows more about it, let me know.

Here's the website.

https://spottingsession.com/

ps.  I have no official affiliation with either Spotting Session or Avid, so this is not a spam post.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 5:15 PM In reply to

Re: Spotting Session

In that same category, I have occasionally used Cut Notes from Digital Rebellion.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 6:02 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

Job, it looks like Spotting Session is similar to Cut Notes, except that it's timecode specific with regards to locators or markers.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 6:06 PM In reply to

Cut Notes is sort of timecode specific, but you need to set a start TC and hit it as soon as you start rolling.

The downside to Spotting Session, to me at least, is that I mostly make a one-off DCP and go to watch my cutting copy in a theatre. There's no Avid generating any TC to follow there.

This is not saying that Spotting Session is not interesting, and I will defintely check it out.

Thank you for sharing the tip!

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 12 2013 6:19 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

It looks like there's also a companion app called "Pro Spotting" that allows you to make notes or markers on a video that's been uploaded and downloaded.  This would be useful for multiple users commenting on a version of a cut.  Cut Notes seems simpler in that you only create the markers and not actually interact with any video element.  They all sound interesting to me.

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 2:14 AM In reply to

I'm the developer of Cut Notes. We sync to most of the popular NLEs/DAWs and Media Composer / Symphony support will be coming soon (Pro Tools is already supported).

The reason we don't display video directly in the app is because we already have an app to do this (CinePlay), which allows us to concentrate on maximizing screen real estate and our main goal of minimizing typing.

If you're interested in collaborative note-taking, Cut Notes has supported that for a while via our Kollaborate cloud workflow platform, which is also supported by CinePlay so you can watch videos on your iOS device and take notes on them directly. Other people's notes will appear live in the Notes view as they make them and people on the project are notified of new comments.

You can find out more about it here and you can even run it in-house if your company so desires.

We've just submitted a big Cut Notes update to Apple that adds some very powerful new collaboration features. I can't talk about it yet but keep an eye on our site if that's an area you're interested in.

And if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 1:17 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

John,

Sounds like there's reasons for both products as they seem to have specific differences. Does Cut Notes plan to have a slimmed down, iphone version?  I know a lot of editors who end up in situations where they watch a cut of a just a scene or two with a producer or director and its quick and on the go and an iPad isn't handy, while an iphone is always present in a pocket. Just curious. 

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 4:10 PM In reply to

We had a lot of requests for this when the iPad was still a niche device. It's something we're not getting anymore but we'd do it if there's enough demand.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 5:19 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

I know a bunch of editors that would love it for the iphone, and I assume that would be the case for others too.  But, it's hard know just how many people that would translate into and what that means in terms of overall demand.  I think most editors would use it on both platforms as need be.  It would certainly be nice to have the option to have it with you at all times, which is not always the case with an ipad. 

I know next to nothing about developing an app so I don't know what the expenses or pitfalls are to developing an iphone app, from an ipad app.  I'm sure you know all the details.  I wish I could help show sufficiant demand on the user front, to make it worthwhile...

• Tue, Aug 13 2013 9:33 PM In reply to

Ok, I'll add this to our future roadmap but I can't give an ETA at this time.

My software:
    More tools...

• Wed, Aug 14 2013 12:40 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 643
    • Points 8,525

John, that's great. I can't speak for everybody but like I said, I know a bunch of editors that will be real happy to hear about a possible iphone version. Obviously there's much less screen real estate to work with but I figure if its got the basics they'll be happy. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller