Latest post Wed, May 21 2014 3:14 AM by aglet123. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 10 2013 1:15 PM In reply to

Re: The MESS with asymmetric trimming! <-- For me a real TOP PRIORITY ISSUE

Thank you Bilbo, you have fully explained what I felt since version 5 without being able to express it concretely.  The smart tools can stay if some use, but even once, Avid should not impose changes. Finally, the philosophy of Avid is to add features but not to modify existing ones. This philosophy was not fulfilled during the 5 version, either for the trim or key frames. I you reminder that the goal is to minimize unnecessary clicks: new features should ease us, not vice versa. Will you please Avid, take inspiration from version 4 to design version 8! I speak about the trim and about the effect keyframes. This is not a new feature request but a "back to the old operation mode request".

Avid Mediacomposer 6.5.0 Mac/PC with Nitris [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:37 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

Bilbo,

I've attached a video to this message. It doesn't answer all your concerns, but I hope it explains two of the points I made.

Steve

• Sun, Aug 11 2013 12:15 AM In reply to

• bilbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, May 26 2013
    • berlin
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,460

Dear Steve,

OK, I got it with the lasso for inverting the trim direction for one track. I missed the Option + Shift + lasso.

Thanks!

It is a good work around, but my request stays!
    French-Editor Wink you got my point there. 

Dear greetings!

Bilbo

Teaching: MC Apple or windows, Liquid (until 2 years ago), Premiere, FCP... Also Flash, Director, AE. Using: MC, FCP 7 & X At Home: MC 7.04 interplay... [view my complete system specs]

I love words, even if they make me crazy and are responsible for most of the fights and wars. I don't like these last two. 

• Tue, Feb 11 2014 5:00 AM In reply to

• yfury81
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2012
    • Posts 24
    • Points 330

I've read through most of the post and if this was repeated or this is way off base from what you are trying to accomplish, I apologize. The way I found to do assymetrical editing in MC6 on a mac for let's say specifically, ripple edit the audio one way, ripple edit the video the opposite way: I would first hit U to activate trim mode, hit P or ] to get the ripple on one side for both video AND audio. Then to switch the video ONLY, I would hold down the option key and hit the P or ] and that will toggle the video only. Also, if I wanted to do a dual roller (pink) for one and ripple for the other - same idea: hit toggle trim with U, then set it to dual roller, which by default it is. Then hold down option and toggle P or ], which will only toggle the video track. As for shift click - its a weird thing, but here is what I found out. Let's say you toggle with U and have it ripple both video and audio on the left side (P). In order to switch the video only to ripple on the right side, I would first need to shift+option+click the left side of the video to deactivate the yellow trimmer on the left side. The video yellow trimmer is gone. Now you can shift+option click the right side. This is the same for multitrack assymetrical trimming. You would shift+option click any side first and then before you shift+option click on the other side, you must first "deactivate" the one side it has the roller before activating the other side. I hope this makes some sense and I hope it's what you are looking for.

• Thu, Feb 13 2014 9:30 PM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 9 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

I'll add my +1. Asymmetrical trim is currently pretty much a mess. With 7.5, I've even seen it erroneously throw things out of sync even when sync locks are on all tracks!

It's had problems for a long while now, and really needs some love. I doubt it will get it though. If something as apparent as the sync-lock-trim-audio bug has been around for so long without getting fixed, I think Avid must consider this functionality "completed." :(

2x2.93 6-Core Intel Xeon! [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 21 2014 3:14 AM In reply to

• aglet123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 15 2010
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

yfury81:

you must first "deactivate" the one side it has the roller before activating the other side. 

YES!!!  Thanks yfury for saving my life today!

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller