Latest post Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:53 PM by Alexander J Cockburn. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 3 2013 5:37 PM

Relinking old project to Media Files

I really need some help with a number of Avid Projects I have been given, I'm fairly new and believe the solution should be straightforward..!

I was given a 1TB drive with a number of AVID projects and associated media files...the projects were created over a number of years and go back to 2009...

I copied the projects on to my laptop (Macbook Pro) which is running AVID 6.5 and when I open the projects all the bins are there will assocaited clips, sequences etc

What I seem unable to do is relink those clips, sequences etc to the associated media files on the external drive...I don't have enough disc space to copy them (mxf media files) and they are all in the MXF folders 1,2,3, 4 etc on the etxrenal drive

The issue I think is that the drive name is different but I can't rename the drive before relinking...the media tool doesn't show anything when I have tried that...

I can find the MDB files but honestly don't know what to do with them!!

Any help would really be appreciated as I thought this would be a straightforward copy and relink job?

Thanks!

Mac OS 10.11.2 - MacBook Pro Retina - 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon R9 M370X/Intel Iris Pro MC 8.4.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 3 2013 6:28 PM In reply to

Re: Relinking old project to Media Files

First, how is that external drive formatted?  OSX can see but not write to NTFS (PC) formatted volumes.  If it is NTFS, you'll need to buy "Paragin NTFS" to write to it.  However, mounting an NTFS volume on a Mac, via Paragon, typically doesn't provide enough bandwidth for editing.  Paragon (and MacDrive on PC's) are designed as file copy/transfer utilites only.

If the drive "is" NTFS you really should copy the media to a Mac OS Extended (but not journaled) formatted external drive.

Avid is not concerned about volumes names or drive letters (on PC).  The volume name listed in the column, "Disk" is simply the last known location.  This will be updated should the location change.

When MC launches it looks to every available volume, and then looks for valid folder structures, and then, loads any MediaDatabase files it finds.

The correct folder structure is:

\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\x (where x can be any number, always starting with 1)

The folder name(s) must be exactly as above, at the top level of the volume, and can not be inside any other folder.

If the contents of the numbeed folders has not changed since they were last used, the Media Database files may be accurate, and not need rebuilding.  If not, e.g., the media is still offline, the two database files (msmFMID.pmr & msmMMOB.mdb) can simply be thrown away.  The next time MC launches, The media files will be scanned and indexed, and a fresh pair will be generated,

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

Thanks Randall,

Yes the drive is Mac (extended) so that would't appear to be the issue.

I have moved the MXF file to the top of the directory and within are files named 1,2,3,4 which is how the project came to me (except the MXF folder itself was in another folder) however still no joy...I am trying to use relink is this correct??

I have deleted the two database files within each MXF sub folder and then AVID imediately rebuilt them...however still no joy at relinking...

It has changed as it now shows a window showing "loading media file information" this loads then it says 'relinking' which processes for a while and then I get 'no clips were relinked' dialogue box...

Mac OS 10.11.2 - MacBook Pro Retina - 2.5Ghz Intel Core i7 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon R9 M370X/Intel Iris Pro MC 8.4.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 5 2013 12:25 PM In reply to

I have just noted that the folder on the Mac formatted drive says AVID projects from PC..

If the projects and media files had been initially created on a PC and then copied to a Mac formatted drive would that have any issues?

The projects have all been copied across without any issue...just unable to relink anything..?!

Help!

Thanks

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 11:30 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,392
    • Points 97,070

AlexanderJ:
    I have just noted that the folder on the Mac formatted drive says AVID projects from PC.
    There's your problem.  The folder containing your MXF media should be in the root of your drive, and called "Avid MediaFiles" and nothing else.  It cannot be called "AVID projects from PC", nor can "Avid MediaFiles" be inside any folder.

Just restating the earlier posts in a slightly different form: the structure must be Avid MediaFiles>MXF>1, Avid MediaFiles>MXF>2, and so on.  If you make sure that the MXF folder is inside Avid MediaFiles, and the numbered folders are inside MXF you will not need to manually relink.  Avid will automatically find your media for you.

If for any reason this fails, check that none of the above folders are locked.  If they are the process will not work.

If it still fails either the media files have become corrupt, or they are of a format that Avid cannot understand.  Since they were apparently created by Avid this is highly unlikely.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 6 2013 1:45 PM In reply to

Hello again,

I think you missed my earlier post, I had moved the Avid Mediafiles folder to the root of the directory and so it was labelled correctly (MXF/1,2.3 etc) and in correct place...

I have created a whole new project and copied some sequnces in to that project and used the media tool (which now works)...and relinked that way...it would appear it was the old projects AVID didn't like but the info in the bins seems to be okay for most of the projects at least...

Still not 'seeing' all of the projects in the projects folder which is strange but i'll try a few more options and check that there is media for all of these projects as well as it may just not be there!!

Alex

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 2:05 PM In reply to

"... I have created a whole new project and copied some sequnces in to that project ..."

That's often the solution.  Although Avid projects typically move forward with no issues, when it doesn't work, we suggest making a new Project, and only copying the Bins into it.

"... Still not 'seeing' all of the projects in the projects folder ..."

Can you explain that in more detail?  Are you saying you can see them at the desktop level, but not ion the Projrct Selection window?  Please confirm.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 2:35 PM In reply to

When I open the New project and a bin within that and open Media Tool only 5 of the AVID projects out of about 10 that exist within the AVID Projects folder show up? So they are there when I access the folder via the external drive and open the AVID Projects folder and I can copy them across to AVID and see all the bins, clips and sequnces etc and yet the Media Tool doesn't see them, I have tried copying sequences into the New Project to see if that 'jogged' AVID in order to relink but it didn't work..

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 3:50 PM In reply to

It's possible the media for those projects really isn't there ...

(wwld)

• Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:53 PM In reply to

Just confirmed this is the case...thanks for your help!

Alex 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller