Latest post Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:22 AM by flashavid. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 3:34 PM

• ranimmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 27 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

4k Finishing Workflow

I am trying to put together a system that is capable of finishing in 4k.  I am looking to buy Avid Media Composer.  It is my understanding that MC downscales everything to 1080.  So I was looking at also adding DaVinci Resolve to my purchase list.  I am new to all this higher than HD finishing and working with RAW footage so bear with me and my possibly stupid questions.

So from my research it seems that after the cut is finished in MC you would export it via AAF into some other software (in my case it would be resolve) and do all grading and titling there with the original RAW files if you plan to export a higher than HD master (like say a DCP).  My question is, where does Audio figure into this equation?  If you do a 5.1 mix in MC, complete with audio effects and everything, would all of that translate back into Resolve?  Or does it just mark in out points like it does with the video files?  Do I need Pro Tools?  Where does audio figure into this new post prodution 4k workflow?  Any help on this would be great!

Thanks! 

• Sat, Jul 27 2013 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: 4k Finishing Workflow

Can I just politely ask why you would need to finish in 4K?

As for mixing in 5.1, yes, MC does offer quite a bit of 5.1 (or even 7.1) audio features, but it's no DAW. Mostly, complex 5.1 mixes are typically done in Pro Tools rooms or theatres. And I'm referring to the room/theatre because it matters a great deal, and all this goes way beyond purchasing software. Setting up a proper mixing room is no small deal.

Actually, the same goes for grading. You can put together a DaVinci setup rather easily, but getting an optimized room with proper backlighting and calibrated monitor$, that's a whole different ballgame.

Not sure if Resolve would handle 5.1 audio from MC, but you could always just do a 5.1 audio mixdown or 5.1 audio export from MC, and marry that sound to the graded picture when creating your DCP.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 27 2013 4:14 PM In reply to

• ranimmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 27 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 85

I don't really need to finish in 4k, but I would like the ability to do so.  And I was curious how all of this fits together.  Basically, I am tyring to put together a low cost, low end 4k post facility for indie film makers.  I am preparred to sink some $ into this, with monitors, a top end desktop, software etc, but I am trying to keep it bare minimum.

I was actually planning on creating the DCP straight from Resolve.  So could I include the 5.1 export from MC in that process?  Which kind of brings me to another question.  How good is resolve at creating a DCP?  I keep reading everywhere that creating a DCP is a very complicated and involved process, but no one seems to explain what that process actually is.

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:22 AM In reply to

• flashavid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • England
    • Posts 307
    • Points 3,800

Take a look at this interesting article and video:

http://dannylaceyfilm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/getting-to-grips-with-making-digital.html

MC 8.9.2 Symphony - MacPro 2.66Ghz 12core 48GB ram - OS 10.12.6 - BM 4K Extreme - Sapphire pulse RX580 8GB -SSD boot - 3 x 2TB internal WD caviar black... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller