Latest post Fri, Aug 2 2013 3:55 PM by FunkyDragon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 20 2013 8:26 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 397
    • Points 5,110

Media Folders (go for many or go for large?)

Hi,

I've got a project that has about 300K media files at this point and still some ways to go. At the moment most of those files are located in 5 workspaces. The way our assistants work is to bring in content into dated folders ex. AvidOne.20121207 rather than let the Avid do this work. We don't digitize or import (we manually copy MXF's onto the storage and use AAF's dragged into the bins). 

We are noticing that as the months go by it is taking longer and longer to start MC. At this time it takes about 4 minutes to get to project selection window. This is do to the many media databases that have to be scanned (I think this is what's going on). It also takes up to 18 seconds to open some bins due to the media scanning (accoring to the console).

We have between 500-700 media folders in our workspaces. Some of these media folders have just one MXF file and some have up to 400.  Should I decrease the folder count and have each folder contain between 2000-3000 files and larger databases? I have feeling this could improve the scan times but I have technical reason really to back this feeling up.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

-Cable

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 22 2013 2:37 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 397
    • Points 5,110

Re: Media Folders (go for many or go for large?)

For anyone that may be interested in this I did some tests over the weekend.

I mounted one workspace that had over 700 media folders for a total of 45000 files. As I decreased the folder count by moving the mxf files into larger folders I found the MSMRescan time decreased.

I would document the total folder count, rebuild the database and check the MC console for the scan time. At over 700 folders the scan time was 70 seconds, once I dropped down to 650 it dropped to 19 seconds. Not sure why such a big drop when I got below 700. I stopped the test at around 300 folders which was 6 seconds. I'll even take this further when I have time.I hope to decreased our MC startup time from 4 minutes to under 30 seconds.

So, it's better to have fewer but larger folders rather than lots of smaller ones.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 1 2013 6:31 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

Yes and no. it really depends on the activity on each folder.  Its easier on the system to load a single Large PMR/MDB but you pay that when you create new mxf file.

I have been bugging Avid for an external utility that can create PMR/MDB outside of the Editor Software. something that you can run as a daemon. That way, we can run LARGE amount of media folder and have the tool rebuild on a logical interval.

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Fri, Aug 2 2013 3:55 PM In reply to

Keep in mind that the file/folder count should not exceed 5000 files/folder.  So yes, fewer folders with more files in them will scan quicker, will generally load quicker.  Just don't break it by overfilling the media folders.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller