Latest post Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:07 AM by S.Clements. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 17 2013 10:12 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Question About Titles/VFX for EDLS for Colourists

Hi, I have little experience handing off EDLs to colourists.  What do you do about titles created in Avid?  And VFX done in Avid, including speed changes stabilizes and resizes?  I don't even know how much of that would come across in an AAF, but the colourist specifically wants an EDL.

The Project was edited using ProResHQ edited in Avid via AMA.  Obviously Avid titles are created as Avid Media files and any Avid-created VFX will not be present when a colorist recreates the project using an EDL.  Are titles and VFX to be rendered out in ProRes HQ and then edited back into the project before creation of the edl for the colourist? 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 17 2013 11:06 AM In reply to

Re: Question About Titles/VFX for EDLS for Colourists

Totally depends on many factors.

There is the option that they will take your finished ungraded video plus an EDL and use the EDL to know where the cuts are, and grade the video you supplied. You would probably need to supply them with a textless version, otherwise the color grading might be compromised by the overlays. When you get the graded version back, you add the overlaying graphics & titles.

Another option is that they reconform your cut from the originals. Not too many conform tools handle AAF, so EDL is a common requirement. Speeds from Motion effects do come across, but if you used Blended or Fluid formats, you will have to make notes of that. Ramped motion effects need even more manual labour to conform. Resizes, repositions etc. you will have to mark. I always supply them with a QT of my cut, showing them how we need things to look.

I mostly use the Add Comment feature to add notes to segments in the timeline, including fx descriptions. Titles in a separate EDL. If they need the titles you created, you could export them as Pict-with-Alpha from the Title Tool.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:07 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,765

Re: Question About Titles/VFX for EDLS for Colourists

Thanks, Job!

In the end, they just wanted the EDL to find out where the cuts were, but I did make use of your add comments suggestions in case anyone wanted to use it to conform and needed guidance about effects.  I like how the comments show up in the timeline and on the printed EDL.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller