Latest post Fri, May 9 2014 3:16 AM by jesstator. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 5:06 PM

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,115

No media can be written to any mounted drive.

I'm having a lot of problems with my two Avid licenses (Media Composer 7 and Symphony 6.5). My Symphony system doesn't recognize any external drives as media drives. Only the four internal drives (inside the Mac pro) are listed in Media Tool.

I noticed the problem when I tried to edit something on a new Symphony 6.5 installation. It didn't recognize the external Mini-SAS Disk Array. So I decided to try a firewire drive and a usb drive. I made sure all Permisions were set to Read & Write, but this didn't fix the problem. I then move the USB and the firewire drives to the Macbook Pro running Media Composer 7 and only the USB drive is recognized as a media drive. If I unmount the USB drive and leave the firewire drive, I get a message saying "No media can be written to any mounted drive.  Please check write permissions". Like I said all permissions are set to "Read and Write".

I'm getting frustrated and feel like opening Premiere Pro CC and start editing, but I need to get this problem fixed since I spent a lot of money on Avid licenses (full and upgrades).

Mid-2012 Quad Core 2.6ghz Macbook Pro, 16GB Ram, Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Media Composer 2018.12 with Symphony option. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 6:46 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,065
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: No media can be written to any mounted drive.

How are those external drives formatted?  Are they HFS+ or something else?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Jul 16 2013 7:57 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,115

hbrock:

How are those external drives formatted?  Are they HFS+ or something else?

Format is as follows:

G-Tech G Speed eS Pro is formatted Mac OS Extended

LaCie Rugged is formatted ExFat

G-Tech G Drive Mini is formatted Mac OS Estended (Jornaled)

The internal SATA drives that Symphony (Mac Pro) recognizes are all formatted Mac OS Extended (Jornaled) except for one that is formatted Windows NT Filesystem (for bootcamp), and even this one can be used as a Media Drive with no issues. Go figure...

Note: The LaCie has no problems when connected to the Macbook Pro running Media Composer 7 on Mac OS X 10.8.4

Mid-2012 Quad Core 2.6ghz Macbook Pro, 16GB Ram, Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Media Composer 2018.12 with Symphony option. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:41 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,065
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It would be a bit easier if you indicated what connections existed on each drive along with their formatting. You also didn't state which OSX version you are running on the affected machine.  Details are helpful.

The G-Tech eS Pro requires their RAID card.  Don't use any Avid supplied RAID software.  If it mounts as a R/W drive in the Finder it should work with Avid.

ExFat support in OSX has been a moving target due to incompatible block sizes between Windows and Macs.  Not sure about whether Avid supports ExFat or not.

Windows NTFS can be read but not written by OSX.  To be able to write NTFS you need Paragon or another software solution.  Due to the additional overhead, drive performance may suffer compared to supported native formats.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:01 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,115

hbrock:

It would be a bit easier if you indicated what connections existed on each drive along with their formatting. You also didn't state which OSX version you are running on the affected machine.  Details are helpful.

The G-Tech eS Pro requires their RAID card.  Don't use any Avid supplied RAID software.  If it mounts as a R/W drive in the Finder it should work with Avid.

ExFat support in OSX has been a moving target due to incompatible block sizes between Windows and Macs.  Not sure about whether Avid supports ExFat or not.

Windows NTFS can be read but not written by OSX.  To be able to write NTFS you need Paragon or another software solution.  Due to the additional overhead, drive performance may suffer compared to supported native formats.

On the 2012 Macbook Pro (core i7) running OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

Media Composer 7.0

LaCie Rugged SSD (format: ExFat)

It is recognized as Media Drive via thunderbolt and USB 3.0

G-Technology G-Dirve Mini (format: Mac OS Extended-Journaled)

Connections: Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 > Not recognized as Media Drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 2009 Mac Pro (8-core) running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)

Symphony 6.5.3

LaCie Rugged SSD (format: ExFat)

It is recognized a Media Drive by the Symphony via USB 2.0

G-Technology G-Dirve Mini (format: Mac OS Extended-Journaled)

Connections: Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 > Not recognized as Media Drive.

G-Technology G-Speed eS Pro (format: Mac OS Extended)

Connection: Mini SAS > Not recognized as Media Drive 

Note: This computer has 4 internal WD SATA drives with six partitions in total, all of them are recognized as Media Drives by the Symphony; except for the OS partitions of course. The ExFat formatted LaCie SSD is the most compatible of all. I use Paragon to write to the NTFS formatted drive and it works great as a Media Drive. For the G-Speed, I use the supplied ATTO R680 raid controller. It was formatted and configured for raid 0 at the factory and it works great with Adobe Premiere Pro in the same system.

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 10:59 PM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

Don't know if it will help anything, but try opening the console (under tools) and type "alldrives". I use it to let avid see shared folders as media drives, and that might just be the way your raid's software virtualizes harddisks. And just for the sake of it (I'm sure you already tried) under settings>media creation>tab drive filtering and indexing > if there is a notch in "filter network drives based on resolution" turn it off. Good luck

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Fri, Jul 19 2013 11:33 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,115

Rinze Schuurman:

Don't know if it will help anything, but try opening the console (under tools) and type "alldrives". I use it to let avid see shared folders as media drives, and that might just be the way your raid's software virtualizes harddisks. And just for the sake of it (I'm sure you already tried) under settings>media creation>tab drive filtering and indexing > if there is a notch in "filter network drives based on resolution" turn it off. Good luck

The console command did not help. I tried both, "alldrives" and "alldrives 1" (I wonder what is the difference between these two) and even though it says "All drives will be viewed as media drives", when I go to media creation, it does not show the drives with the issue, not even "grayed out". Everything under Drive Filtering & Indexing is unchecked.

• Mon, Jul 29 2013 2:51 PM In reply to

• Bandido
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 99
    • Points 1,115

After many tests and clean installations, I narrowed down the problem to the 2 G-technology drives (one firewire and one mini-SAS Raid). I remembered that I never formatted these drives, since they came preformatted for Mac and ready to use out of the box. So, I decided to re-format the smaller of the two first, since it was easier to backup. That fixed the issue and both, Media Composer and Symphony finally recognized the drive. Now it was time for  the G-Speed es Pro. I went ahead and created a new folder to keep all my other folders organized in one place, ready for the backup. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to re-format the drive, it was recognized immediately by MC and Symphony. To me, it is still a mystery why a simple re-organization of my files seems to have solved the problem. Go figure...

Just want to thank you all for your suggestions!

• Fri, May 9 2014 3:16 AM In reply to

• jesstator
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 21
    • Points 240

I had the exact same issue with a G-Tech 4 Tb Thunderbolt drive connected to a pre-qualified 15" MacBook Pro Retina running Media Composer 7.0.3, right down to the BootCamp partition being available.  I followed all the steps in this thread to no avail.

So I thought and thought and thought some more . . .

Then I created tone media and imported a test pattern to the MacHD.  Then I shut down Media Composer.  Then I copied the Avid Media Files folder from the MacHD to the G-Tech drive.  Then I restarted Media Composer.  BOOM:  the drive showed up and has been there since.

The only anomaly now is the capture resolution is stuck at J2k, while everything else is set to DNXHD 145 in my 10880i/5994 project.  I'll very likely NOT capture from tape to this laptop.  Even if I did I could always transcode if necessary.  Curious though that J2k is the only resolution that shows up in Capture.

Offering this to anyone out there who found themselves in the same situation.

Cheers,

--Jess--

Avid Media Composer 3.5.4 with MOJO; 1Beyond 3817HD Computer; WinXP_SP-3; 3.8 Ghz P4; 3Gb RAM; 160 Gb on-board RAID-0; 1.2 Tb USB 2.0 Storage [view my complete system specs]

JESSE ETTINGER [dba] ETTINGER PRODUCTIONS http://www.ettingerproductions.com jesstator@ettingerproductions.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller