Latest post Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:12 PM by Brad H. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 3 2013 2:59 AM

AMA/consolidation issues in MC7

Hello-
    Recently upgraded to Avid MC6.5, and then yesterday upgraded to 7 and having some issues now in 7 that we didn't have in 6.5.  Running MC on older dual quad core Mac Pros, OS 10.8.
    AMA linking, then consolidation, really key part of our workflow.
    2 things so far-
    *Can't AMA link Apple Pro Res HQ QTs.
    *Can AMA link Canon C300/XF clips, and been able to consolidate some of them, but Avid seems to choke on any clips over 5 minute duration.  Get that assertion error.
    I know it's new product. 
    Thanks, Nick.

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: AMA/consolidation issues in MC7

Hi Nick,

Very sorry for your frustration with this so far. When you are trying to select clips within the AMA linking window, are you using "Auto-Detect"?

If you are, could you try specifying the plug-in you want to use in the drop-down menu and try to link again?

Would like to confirm:

• Your clips do link successfully and can be played back
    • You can perform a consolidate as you would expect to.

If you cannot consolidate, please post some information for us:

• Which clips are not performing the consolidate (type, flavor, length, etc)
    • Where are the linked clips located and where are you trying to consolidate?
    • The exact messages that you are given if there are errors.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

~Keith

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 3 2013 11:11 PM In reply to

Thanks Keith.  Sorry for the late response.

Yes, used specify vid type function ("MXF" option) to link the Canon C300/Canon XF files that had been exported thru the Canon XF utility app.  They linked and then consolidated smoothly.  But seems like I needed to go thru this utility app export step in order to ensure Avid consolidated cleanly; AMA linking the cam original files directly still seems to be problematic.

And was able to AMA link an Apple Pro Res HQ quicktime, but not consolidate it.  Presumably you have to transcode that media to some Avid-friendly codec?

New issue has popped up.  Can't seem to export my sequences with audio.  Really a mystery.  Have tried it from sequences with var. kinds of media, with different audio track configurations.  Have tried playing the exported QT on var computers, and still no audio.  Export specs are basically for 640 x 360 h264 QT (downconvert from HD original media in sequences); audio is MPEG4 ACC Enhanced Low Delay encoder, 44 kHZ, normal quality render, 96 kbps target bit rate.  Have all tracks enabled, and video & audio checked in initial window.  Have audio box checked in format options window.  Is it the audio compression type I'm using or one of the var other audio specs I'm using causing this (sequences are proly all 48 kHz audio)?  Something buried in setting elsewhere?  Something checked off in the original sequence?

Thanks, Nick.

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 11:07 AM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

I am seeing this issue as well on MCv7.

Canon XF305 media recorded as MXF.

Canon XF cards are copied on the desktop to a backup drive. Then we AMA link to the Card on the backup drive. The AMA linking works and the clips play quite happily as AMA linked.

However any Canon MXF clips longer than 5 mins (i.e. spanned over two or more files) are failing on consolidate with the error message:

Assertion Failed: audiodesc&&(0<audioDcx->GetNumChannels())

File: ...\..\src\mon\MultipleDescriptor,Line:462

If we link to the individual 5min files using the Canon AMA plugin then they will consolidate fine.

I will try the Canon XF utility to backup the files when the next batch comes in to see if that makes a difference.

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

Paddywack Productions Ltd. Freelance editing in the UK

• Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:03 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

Just tried copying a Canon card using the Canon XF utility and then consolidating and am still getting the error message.

It happens at the point where the 1st file in the clip ends and the next one starts.

This is running MC7 on a z400 with nVidia 2000 card.

Nick

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

Paddywack Productions Ltd. Freelance editing in the UK

• Tue, Sep 3 2013 7:12 PM In reply to

• Brad H
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 16 2013
    • El Segundo, CA
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Keith,

I also have a query about handling footage with Avid MC 7.0.0.

My system: MACPRO 2x2.4 GHz 6-Core Xeon, 28GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870

Media Server System: Promax server via 10GB ethernet

AMA link to P2 (Panasonic HPX250) Intra100 MXF media with consolidate works great. AMA footage plays smoothly with very little delay in playback. Consolidated footage works perfectly with no delay.

AMA link to P2 (Panasonic HDX900) DNxHD 220X QUICKTIME media works, but media playback is delayed and jittery and I get underun errors. Attempt to consolidate a single clip or a bin of clips fails every time and often results in software crash. I am getting Assertion failed, Invalid argument and FATAL ERRORs. I used AUTO DETECT for the AMA LINK. Same problem occurs when selecting the QT format for AMA Link. Clip durations are less than 5 minutes. Problem occurs when selecting either relink to consolidated clips OR keep master clips linked.

I am currently TRANSCODING all of the AMA'ed QT clips with success, but would obviously prefer the CONSOLIDATION method to save time. I requested MXF P2 footage, but DP is delivering QT instead. We have more shoots to come, so I'd like to find out if we need kick camera dept ass into delivering MXF or if they can continue to deliver in QT.

THANKS!

Brad

MACPRO 2x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Xeon, 28GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Media Server System: Promax Platform server via 10GB ethernet [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller