Latest post Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:22 AM by Jon Chappell. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:18 AM

• aedwurd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 25 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 795

Making a Template and using it for every project?

Hi,

I want to make a Avid Template in Media Compser 6.5 where I set up a New Project, make some Bins that I know I'll use in every project, Make some blank sequences that I'll use in every project as well. 

I want to save this Project as "Avid Template" on one of my Hard Drives. Then when I start a new project I would like just to copy that project file to a folder, rename the project file to a new name and then double click it to open it up with all my bins, etc.. still there.

Is this possible? Do I need any special software for this?

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:25 AM In reply to

Re: Making a Template and using it for every project?

Funny you should ask. A friend of mine designed something just for that...

http://dylanreeve.com/software/dylans-templater

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:53 AM In reply to

• aedwurd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 25 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 795

Hi,

I found that before and I downloaded it. Is it just for Windows? I am on a Mac. When I did download it and open it, all it was was a lot of blank files. There were no instructions on how to use it.

Do you know anything about it or how to use it?

Thanks

• Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:00 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hi, 

It is lacking in documentation (I will address that soon).

It is also a Windows-only application at the moment. I've actually just completed a cross-platform version, but I have to purchase a moderately expensive development license before I can make a distributable version and given that software is mostly a hobby I'm currently not sure if I can justify the cost.

Sorry about that. But keep an eye on the page, I may yet release that Mac version soon.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 6:29 AM In reply to

We have a similar general-purpose tool for this task too:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/posthaste

Free for Mac and PC.

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 6:41 AM In reply to

Jon Chappell:
    We have a similar general-purpose tool for this task too
    Hi Jon
    Can it make a default Avid Project template (from a Projject I setup and save) that you just rename for each subsequent version?  Initial reading of your Poste Haste 2.5 Beta 1 suggests to me possibly not one Avid will recognise.

• Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:22 AM In reply to

It does not update the bin IDs but Avid doesn't appear to mind from my testing. Here's an example template that Avid will recognize if saved to your project directory:

Note: "Template" is a keyword that causes Post Haste to replace it with the entire project name. You can also insert variables in square brackets such as [project].

My software:
    Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
    Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
    More tools...

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller