Latest post Fri, Nov 29 2013 5:56 PM by Marc Wiltshire. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 1 2013 8:01 AM

Tutorials for Background Transcode?

Hi all, I've recently upgraded to Media Composer 7 on my mac, and was keen to try out background transcoding. I linked to a some AMA media, selected Consolidate/Transcode, and allowed it to run in the background.

Once this happened, Media Composer created offline versions of all the clips I wanted to transcode. I checked the background queue, which claimed that all the jobs had finished transcoding with errors. However, the created clips were still offline.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to relink these clips, or use Media Tool to find the clips the background transcode has created? I replicated the workflow with the standard foreground transcode, which created the new clip without issues, so it doesn't seem like a codec error, just either a workflow I haven't grokked or some complexities in how Avid handles this feature.

Filed under: , ,
  • Mon, Jul 1 2013 8:23 AM In reply to

Re: Tutorials for Background Transcode?

When the Background Queue says that there were errors, then, yes, it is normal that does Master clips stay offline (because they never got there transcoded media file). 

In the background queue, there ar round arrows next to failed transcodes, so you can redo them...
    If that doesn't work, do a reboot of the system and try again. 

If the Background transcoded finishes without errors, and the Master Clips stay Offline, go to File > Refresh Medida Directories. 

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 10:35 AM In reply to

Thanks, I'll try the refresh. I did have the same problem with error free transcodes.

• Fri, Nov 29 2013 5:56 PM In reply to

• Marc Wiltshire
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 5 2010
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

I just had a similar problem.  I selected 3 AMA clips to transcode in background and immediately when I hot Transcode button 3 master clips appear in the bin.  They are offline.  I check the background queue and it is empty.  I try to find the files in the Avid MediaFiles directory and they are not there.  

I'm transcoding the normal way now and so far it seems to actually be working, though I have yet to see the final result.  

Media Composer v7.0.4.4 (Interplay Edition) OS 10.10.5 Mac Pro (Late 2013) Processor: 3.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Memory: 64GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller