Latest post Fri, Mar 7 2014 3:06 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 239 replies.
Page 14 of 16 (240 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 2 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 530
    • Points 6,160
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Re: Media Composer 7 - NOW AVAILABLE

I have updated one dongle to v7 using the versioner, now MC6.5.2 and dongle manager report that the dongle is an "unrecognised model"!

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 3 2013 1:49 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 530
    • Points 6,160
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Now I am told by Avid Customer Success that having updated the dongle to V7, I will need to install 6.5.3 - it does not support 6.5.2.

Which seems to back up what jdw says above.

ISIS 5500, MC 18.4 & PT 18.4 on Mac OS with BMD Mini-Monitors, an UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 3 2013 2:00 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,619
    • Points 223,350
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

That is correct

Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 Dongle Licenses:

1.  Media Composer 7.0 and NewsCutter 11.0 dongle logic has not changed in this release.  Dongles will enable customers to authorize and run multiple versions back of the software but specific versions in the code base are required.

2.  Media Composer 7.0 + Symphony Option authorized dongles will enable a customer to authorize and run multiple versions back of Symphony but not MC if the dongle is updated with both the MC 7 activation AND the Syphony Option activation.  

3. Customers who wish to run previous versions of Media Composer, Symphony or NewsCutter should either uninstall their v7.0/v11.0 software and then install full versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.0.4/10.5.3, respectively, or install the patch versions of 6.0.4/6.5.3 or 10.4./10.5.3 on top of the current Media Composer 6.0.x/6.0.5.x, Symphony 6.0.x/6.5.x, or NewsCutter 10.0.x/10.5.x. 

HTH Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:06 PM In reply to

jdw, nigeldad and All:

I apologize but I admit I misunderstood the new dongle policy for the software going forward.  As Marianna indicated, once you upgrade the dongle to v7.0, you can only run the latest versions of 6.0 and 6.5 (and soon 5.5, apparently).

If you cannot upgrade to those latest versions, please e-mail Marianna and she can hook you up with a new dongle versioner that will blast the dongle back to pre-7.0. 

Again, my apologies!

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, Sep 6 2013 3:45 AM In reply to

Hello! Is it pretty safe to assume that Frameflex is the improvement of Avid Pan&Zoom?

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Sep 6 2013 4:15 AM In reply to

Ervz Tia (Tikboy):
    Is it pretty safe to assume that Frameflex is the improvement of Avid Pan&Zoom?
    Different would be more how I would describe it. It does has the huge benefit of being able to do the same things as Pan and Zoom with imported footage. (up to 4K files I believe)

• Tue, Sep 10 2013 11:43 AM In reply to

• Julgir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 10 2013
    • Marseille, France
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Hi all,

I'll soon work on a feature film as DIT and assistant editor and we are considering using MC7 for the new interesting workflows it offers. It will be shot on ARRIRAW.

I've been reviewing the workflow guide and we will start some tests, but I'd like to make sure it's a good strategy or if there are any issues I should be aware of. 

So is it possible to AMA-link to the original ARRIRAW files, apply a LUT and then transcode to dnxhd36 proxies for syncing/editing and output dailies. The original files will then be stored on a different drive.

I'm more familiar with a workflow using Resolve but it would be really nice to do everything in MC7.

Will the project be compatible with MC 5.5.3.7 as I read somewhere, since it's the version that will be used later by the editor ?

I'm very excited by this new version and I'm looking forward to upgrading. 

• Tue, Sep 10 2013 2:40 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

Use Davinci.  Much better suited to what you want to do.  For starters, it can take advantage of a second GPU to speed up transcodes.  Then use Avid for synching.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 10 2013 8:51 PM In reply to

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:11 AM In reply to

• Julgir
    • Not Ranked
    • Marseille, France
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Thanks for your answer gumbaedit.

So DaVinci 1 - Avid 0

Does everybody agree ? 

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 1:34 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

It's not really a question of one application winning over another.  Davinci is designed to be a color correction and dailies processsing software.  Avid is designed to be an editing software.  When working in conjunction with eachother they are very powerful.

I just finished a show where I processed all of the Alexa pro res dailies in Davinci and as soon as it was done sent them over to Avid for sycnhing and project managment.  My machine is older, so it could only output at about 20fps from resolve.  However, I was getting 3 1/2 hours of footage a day completely thru the system and ready for the editors in under 9 hours.  That includes copying the footage from the set drives, making 2 versions of the low res dailies and copying everything to a shuttle drive to be sent to the editors in L.A.

It's about positioning your gear so that it can do what it does best, not just doing what it "can" do.  For example, you can synch dailies in resolve, but I wouldn't want to because it messes up the metadata for the sound guys later.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 11 2013 2:00 PM In reply to

• Julgir
    • Not Ranked
    • Marseille, France
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Of course you're right gumbaedit, I was just kidding.

I'm just curious about new opportunities to make my job easier, using DaVinci is my first choice anyway since I'm familiar with the workflow. Like you said it can optimize transcoding : I can have a mac pro dedicated to backup, color correction and transcoding and MC7 on a macbook pro for synching and project management.

However if anyone has tested a MC7-only workflow with the huge arriraw files : applying a LUT and background-transcoding to dnxhd36, I would be glad to know how it performs.  

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 5:32 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 522
    • Points 6,870

Arri has raw files on their website that you can test on.  They're only about 10 seconds each, but it should give you an ide aof how you're computer will perform.

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 6:47 PM In reply to

• Julgir
    • Not Ranked
    • Marseille, France
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

I got some .ari files from Arri website but can't find a way to import them into Avid MC7. It seems that only dnxhd and prores Alexa raw files are supported. Is this correct ?

If it is, I'm staying with the DaVinci workflow.

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:44 PM In reply to

Julgir:
    I got some .ari files from Arri website but can't find a way to import them into Avid MC7. It seems that only dnxhd and prores Alexa raw files are supported.

Have you installed the ARRI AMA Plugin?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 14 of 16 (240 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller