Latest post Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:10 AM by MikeyB. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 26 2013 12:35 AM

• Tmirk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • LA, CA
    • Posts 148
    • Points 1,910

Highest res export for XDCAM EX AMA'd

What would be the highest res export for my XDCAM EX 35 AMA'd material?

I initally AMAd the material shot on an F3 (non S log), transcoded to DNX36 for offline. I have now relinked my sequecnes back to the cam original AMA material.

Now it needs to go off for color some place (still to be determined) but they want to avoid a conform at color place. So Im assuming they will want a hires quicktime or image sequence,  with what is more seemingly looking like it will likely be converted into a .dpx sequence.

Project format- YCbCr 709 or RGB 709?

What actual export method should I use?  Should I do a .tif sequence? Transcode to 175 and take that into resolve for .dpx output?

What are you doing?

I want more money!

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 8:10 AM In reply to

• MikeyB
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Edlesborough, UK
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,030
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Highest res export for XDCAM EX AMA'd

1. Keep your Project Format as YCbCr709 - that's what your source media is.

2. If they can accept a movie file rather than a dpx sequence, the best res for export would be 'Same as Source' - assuming they can cope with the XDCAM EX codec. Any transcode will cost you some picture quality. The next best option would be to export Uncompressed, but I'm guessing the Project is too massive? To be honest, DNxHD 175X would very likely be perfectly OK if neither of these is possible.

3. Find out if they can take the Sequence from you as AAF. That way, they'll 'see' the cuts and layers in the Sequence and it'll be easy for them to grade. 

4. If not, make a QuickTime movie and export an EDL - ask them which format. Grading systems like Baselight can cut the QT up into clips for grading using the EDL info.

5. Otherwise, the DIY route could well be export to Resolve as AAF and converting there to dpx.  It'll just take time!

MacBook Pro 15" 2016 2.7GHz i7 Radeon 455 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller