Latest post Mon, Jul 1 2013 9:46 PM by Baklap. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 24 2013 4:25 PM

• dezmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 23 2012
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Where are the MXF files in Interplay?

So I am using Avid Interplay with ISIS. I have an ISIS drive called Projects that houses all my bins. Occasionally, someone will put in actual media files (through consolidation or whatever) into the Projects ISIS drive. I don't keep a lot of space in that drive, so I go through Interplay and delete it or have them re-ingest or re-consolidate to a proper drive.

The issue I'm having now is that when I search for any files in the Projects workspace in Interplay, it says there are no files; however, when I run a disk analysis of the Projects workspace, it shows that there are around 4.37 GB of .MXF files in the actual drive.

Why am I not able to see these files in Interplay? I've used MXF Unwrap to try and find out what the files are. I don't want to just delete them out of Windows Explorer because I know that is not proper procedure.

I guess my first question is: Is there a way to take the MXF files in Explorer and find out what they link to? I know that you can find out what the MXF files are from Interplay through the Object Inspector, I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to reverse that.

The second question is: Would anything negative happen if I just deleted these 4.37 GBs out of Windows Explorer?

The third question is: Am I missing something here? Hopefully, I'm not being entirely idiotic here. Is it is possible that the MXF files could reside in the drive and then be in a different ISIS workspace? For instance, the 4.37 GBs I'm seeing in Windows Explorer are actually in a different ISIS drive than Projects?

Any help would be awesome! Thank you so much.

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 6:50 PM In reply to

Re: Where are the MXF files in Interplay?

Your Projects workspace is likely UNINEXED by the Media Indexer.

because of the desire/need to keep MXF Files off of the project workspace, i'd recommend deleting those files from the Windows Level.  they are likely just renders and imports, all of which probably can be deleted. (If you're not paying attention on where you're writing to, it's your fault for losing these files)

I'd recommend placing a blocking file on your Projects workspace that prevents Avid from writing media Files to the Projects workspace.  Once the Avid MediaFiles folder is removed, place a txt file called Avid MediaFiles (spacing and capitialization is important) and strip off the .txt extension.  this will prevent Avid from writing new files there.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 7:20 PM In reply to

• dezmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 23 2012
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate the tip for preventing Avid from writing media files to the workspace. I'll impliment that in two of the workspaces.

I'm fine losing the files. They seem very unrelated to any content needed. I think someone may have consolidated the files into the wrong workspace. I don't think anyone would have brought them into the system as an import in the Projects workspace.

Anyway, I do really appreciate the info. So is it safe to say that there is no way to see if MXF files on the Windows level are related to a clip (except for using Interplay to find the clip and then see what MXF files are associated)?

(Also, one more quick question, how would I check whether or not a workspace is indexed by the media indexer?) If it helps, in the past, I have seen clips in the Projects workspace when searching through Interplay, so I know it is possible for Interplay to read clips in that workspace, there just are none there currently.

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:36 PM In reply to

you would have to check Avid Service Framework Service Configuration to see which workspace and media paths are indexed by your media indexer server.  ask your interplay administrator to look for you.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:56 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

It's a bit difficult to describe the whole process but in essence you could also move the media from the Project Workspace onto a media workspace. The indexer then indexes the files. If there is no meta data attached to it (ie: not being used anywhere in Interplay checked in media) it will show up as orphan media in Access. 

To check if a drive is being indexed you have to check this with the Avid Service configuration and check the paths on the Media Indexer. If the workspace is added to the HAG (asuming you use a HAG setup) then it's being indexed.

Anyway as said without thourough details on setup it's almost impossible to explain it :-)

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 3:09 PM In reply to

• Chris Aust
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Munich
    • Posts 436
    • Points 4,765
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User
      Moderator: Avid Certified Instructors - Video

To see the workspaces beeing indexed by the mediaindexer, and the overall amount of files beeing indexed, or amount of files that the indexer sees for each workspace, or if the media indexer is currently idexing, you can look into the Avid Service Framework Healthmonitor. Select the mediaindexer process for a media indexer host maschine (one member of the HAG) and click on the tab for storage or storage roots.

cheers from Riyadh

-chris

MC 2019.7 | VMware Workstation 14 virtual Interplay on Arch Linux 4.20.11| Dell XPS 15 |||| obsolete MacBookPro 17", 2.5GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]

Chris Aust

Munich, Germany

Avid Workflow Consultant | ACI | Trainer

Splash!Zone

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 9:16 PM In reply to

• LiR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 2 2010
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Baklap:

It's a bit difficult to describe the whole process but in essence you could also move the media from the Project Workspace onto a media workspace. The indexer then indexes the files. If there is no meta data attached to it (ie: not being used anywhere in Interplay checked in media) it will show up as orphan media in Access. 

After moving the files, if the media files don't relate to an asset in Interplay, you can get them via a "Resync" of the media workspace. (orphan-clips are assets that are deleted from Interplay without the deletion of the media-files).

But in most cases, as long as editors are logged-in to Interplay when creating media, the assets will appear in Interplay (mostly in the "unchecked-in avid asset" of said editors). So once you have moved the files from the project to the media workspace (as Menno suggested) an "update from media indexer" should do the trick and reveal their new location.  

• Mon, Jul 1 2013 9:46 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

You are absolutely right! 

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller