Latest post Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:59 AM by Jack Woon. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 12:16 PM

Rotation Stabilizer fails to work (work around)

Hi,

Ever since we could stabilize a shot in the Avid Effect Tool, for some reason I have never managed to get the rotation stabilizer to apply, even though the wireframe of the frame would show that the tracking data had indeed tracked the image correctly.  This has been troubling me for several versions, and on different MacPros, and even my MacBook Pro, until today - I finally stumbled across a work around and thought someone here might appreciate me mentioning it.  

Basically, all I had to do is turn on the Highlight paramaters (why, I don't know, but it works - I think that suggests there's a bug at large).  Of course this makes a highlight in the middle of frame so i set all parameters to 0 and it disappears leaving the correct stabilized (counter) rotation.

Avid_effect_tool

Turning on trails will apply the correct stabilzed rotation too, but won't play back smoothly in realtime, and therefore a longer render, so I don't recommend it.

To illustrate, here's a closeup of the top of frame prior to clicking Highlight on:

incorrect_rotation

Notice the black top left - it's the wrong angle...

And here it is again with it clicked on:

Correct_rotation

Now the black is top right where it should be.  (sorry I didn't have a more drastically angled shot for the example)

No more manual counter rotating again for me!!

Hope this helps save someone else some time too,

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:52 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Re: Rotation Stabilizer fails to work (work around)

Thanks so much, this is excellent! Had been frustrating me for quite a while. Amazing that you figured this out.

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2013 4:56 AM In reply to

• Bill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 2 2011
    • Posts 65
    • Points 1,010

Thank you Jonno, unfortunatelly it didn't work for me. But it is very interesting it did for you.

I noticed, you are using 3d warp as against Stabilize.

Not that Stabilize would work either. It never did for me. Ever.

(promoted to 3D and rotation stabilizing)

I think, the main problem is that we are trying to use MC for something it was not meant for.

I understand, MC is a cut/dissolve software.

MC 8.4, HP Z800 - X5675@3.07 GHz, RAM: 48GB, Quadro FX 3800, Dual Apple Cine HD 30" displays, 120 GB SSD system drive, RAID: 8TB 7200 RPM, Win 7/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 15 2014 7:46 AM In reply to

You're welcome.  I discovered it because sometimes when I do a resize or Z axis move, if Idon't turn on perspective, it doesn't work.  I just assumed I needed it switched on.  Then noticed another similar effect didn't have it on at all but was working!  So I wondered if this might turn on the rotation stabilize.  It didn't so I just went a clickin' until something worked - that's it.  I'm a bit obsessive compulsive that way  ;-)

cheers

Jonno

iMac (27", Late 2013, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB, OS X 10.10.5) Connected to 27" Thunderbolt Display, BlackMagic UltraStudio Express (10.7... [view my complete system specs]

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Tue, Apr 15 2014 7:52 AM In reply to

I don't use the effects for finishing (although in some instances one could) but for making really good demos of comps for test screenings - keeps the cost down AND helps to know the edit is really working AND means I've got all the media plates ready and timed for the VFX house so they can take an AAF or bunch of EDLs (one for each layer) and pull the RED or ARRI clips and start comping - no sight-matching necessary and no plate searching required.  (or at least reduced plate searching).  It's the perfect tool for me for big VFX jobs through to low budget 'fix this shot' jobs.   

When I get tired or can't get my head around a scene, I just start fiddling with the VFX for a bit - clears the other side of my brain, then go back to the scene and hey presto, I know how to put it together - funny that.

Jonno

www.fusspotfilms.com

• Mon, Apr 21 2014 11:01 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

I hear you Jonno (also totally agree with that change of pace/ break from story thoughts to fiddle with VFX comps!!) - and i was really excited that this might now work for quick demos of concepts, but I still find it too hit and miss (It's like they just don't care! [:'(] )

I have to do a few VFX myself as final versions anyway so In the end i've decided to just make this yet another thing I do outside of Media Composer. 

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 10 2016 3:59 AM In reply to

• Jack Woon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2012
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 15
    • Points 195

Hi Jonno, just wanted to say thanks for posting this - I tried it and it worked! Would never have thought of turning on highlight.

Trust a fellow kiwi to figure this out :)

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.1, Windows 7 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 @ 2.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller