Latest post Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:23 PM by Jason. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:07 PM

• Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 11 2011
    • Toronto
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,105

Using Adobe Media Encoder Instead Of Squeeze Not Working

Hello.  Since many people seem to like it I thought I'd try out Adobe Media Encoder as I just discovered it came bundled w/ my Illustrator and Photoshop programs (had it for 2 years and din't even know it - doh!).

When attempting to transcode a QT Ref file exported from AVID all seems fine until I hit "Start Queue" at which point the nothing happens.  Elapsed time stays at 00:00:00.  It says its encoding but my Quad cores don't do anything and the program becomes unresponsive and I have to close it.  Doesn't matter whether I choose to encode to an H264 or FLV file.  Footage is 23.98fps.

Funny enough, encoding goes smoothly when using an MP4 I created in Squeeze from the same QT Ref file.  Am I missing something obvious or are there special settings I should be aware of when exporting the QT Ref specifically for Media Encoder.

Thanks for any insights!

Dell Precision M6500 laptop w/ all updates, i7 X940 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, Quadro FX 3800M (w/ driver 257.29), Samsung 128 SSD Primary drive & Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:11 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,194
    • Points 23,515

Re: Using Adobe Media Encoder Instead Of Squeeze Not Working

I also have both but I always use squeese works better

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:42 PM In reply to

I find that AME doesn't seem to like it when QT Refs contain media that come from varying codecs/resolutions.  Let's say I have DV25 source media, with graphics imported at 1:1 - Squeeze will handle it fine, while AME locks up.

If you do a video mixdown before going to AME, it should work OK.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 1:32 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,418
    • Points 97,405

I usually use Squeeze, but have used AME.  I also always mix down.  I've had no trouble with QTrefs in either program.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:13 PM In reply to

• Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,105

Thanks for the suggestions guys but they haven't worked for me.  I thought they would but no dice.  I tried a video mixdown, laid it into the sequence and then exported a QT Ref and got the same (non)results in AME.

Initially I had "Fill spaces with black" checked too.  Thought I might have had it unchecked but nope.

Any more suggestions?

FWIW, Its AME 5.0.1.0

Dell Precision M6500 laptop w/ all updates, i7 X940 2.13GHz, 8GB RAM, Quadro FX 3800M (w/ driver 257.29), Samsung 128 SSD Primary drive & Western Digital... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:29 PM In reply to

I'm on CS6 and QT refs works only with a video mixdown. And it needs to be single, contiguous video mixdown: if there's more than 1 mixdown clip, it won't work, even if it's the same codec. I use DNxHD 220 and sometimes 145.

In the QT ref export settings, everything is checked except "Use network media reference". Audio FOrmat is AIFF. Color levels is RGB.

Another thing, when I try to drop "multi clips" QT refs in AME, it gives me an error (Can't recognize this QT movie). Maybe you have another problem with your AME installation. Or maybe there's a bug with your AME version.

This is on Newscutter 10.5.2.1, QT 7.7.3.

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:34 PM In reply to

At one time, I found that AME wouldn't recognize the audio from a QTref.  I stopped using it because of that.   Sounds like Adobe has a lot of work ahead of them if you can only have a single contiguous Video Mixdown.  I will often times patch in a VM in a section when there is a change and re-export, not being able to do that is an inefficient use of my time and storage. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:35 PM In reply to

Jason:

Thanks for the suggestions guys but they haven't worked for me.  I thought they would but no dice.  I tried a video mixdown, laid it into the sequence and then exported a QT Ref and got the same (non)results in AME.

Initially I had "Fill spaces with black" checked too.  Thought I might have had it unchecked but nope.

Any more suggestions?

FWIW, Its AME 5.0.1.0

Interesting.  What format was the mixdown (DNxHD / XDCamHD / DV / etc.)?  Also, did your sequence contain ONLY the mixdown, with no other material, or did you simply layer it on top of the sequence?

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 6:53 PM In reply to

• Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,105

Yes, the sequence contained only the mixdown.  Mixed down to DNxHD115.  Tried exporting sequence with just the mixed down video track and two empty audio tracks and had the same problem.  Tried exporting a sequence with just the mixdown and two tracks of mixed down mono audio and still no love.

Maybe its a QT version thing?

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:25 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

Kenton.VanNatten:

At one time, I found that AME wouldn't recognize the audio from a QTref.  I stopped using it because of that.   Sounds like Adobe has a lot of work ahead of them if you can only have a single contiguous Video Mixdown.  I will often times patch in a VM in a section when there is a change and re-export, not being able to do that is an inefficient use of my time and storage. 

We had that problem as well.  The audio problem coupled with updates to AME 4.x not ordering the Alpha channels correctly and the resulting transcodes being a solid white frame led us to abandon AME in favor of Squeeze.  I also had complaints form some of our producers that the video would be jittery with AME transcodes.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:58 PM In reply to

• taloftus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • SF, CA USA
    • Posts 50
    • Points 675

Since CS4ish, Adobe has not played well with combined Audio & Video Avid QT Ref exports... the audio track will cause a render to crash.  I found the same problem with AME.  Using AE, if you export export audio & video separately (separate exports) and then marry them, your render will proceed.  I haven't found a way to add a discrete audio track to a video track in AME.

I was hoping to use AME more only because of the accelerated h264 rendering with a Matrox Mini + Max, but I was not able to get it to work efficiently.

It seems to be an issue with how Adobe handles Audio/Video Avid QT Reference files.  If you come across a resolution, I would love to hear it.

My $.02

MC 8.3. Mojo DX, HP xw8600, Win 7 64, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 10:17 PM In reply to

taloftus:
    Adobe has not played well with combined Audio & Video Avid QT Ref exports...
    Well export your QT ref allowing the export to mixdown the audio (an audio mixdown does not take much more than a minute.). The QT ref file becomes 2 files.

Procoder, Squeeze and AMC all add the audio when you make the video QT mov an assett or source file.

taloftus:
    If you come across a resolution, I would love to hear it
    Have not had any issues in 7 years with AMC using the audio mixdown created by the QT reference export. Or, Kenton, having up to 60 (the most I have used) video mixdowns in the QT reference file.

• Sat, Jun 8 2013 3:28 AM In reply to

Has anyone used AMC with the "Max" option with the Matrox MX02?   I bought the Mini Max, only to discover that the accelerated H.264 encoding feature only works with AMC.   I currently don't have AMC--I'm a happy Sorenson user--but would try to get my hands on a copy if it delivers faster H.264 encoding with the Mini Max. 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Jun 8 2013 1:40 PM In reply to

• Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,105

AME + Matrox Mini H264.  Thats why I was giving AME a test go.

Tried some more tetsing and still can't get the results I want.  If I add just the exported audio track that is created when ouputting a QT Ref from AVID AME can deal with it and export a file.

When I delete the audio tracks in AVID and then export a QT Ref, AME can deal with it.

The stalling problem seems to only arise when I try to use a QT Ref exported from AVID containing audio and video.  Wish I could get it to work but I think its lookin' like an Adobe Media Encoder bug.

• Sat, Jun 8 2013 2:14 PM In reply to

Jason:

AME + Matrox Mini H264.  Thats why I was giving AME a test go...

The stalling problem seems to only arise when I try to use a QT Ref exported from AVID containing audio and video.

If it takes that much effort to prep the file for AME, any savings in transcoding speed with the Mini Max seems to be offset if you can't use a QT ref--which Sorenson handles just fine.   Maybe I should have saved the extra $150 bucks I spent for the "max" option and just bought the regular MXO2. 

Jason:
    Wish I could get it to work but I think its lookin' like an Adobe Media Encoder bug.

Could it be a problem with the Mini Max?  Did you try disabling the Mini Max and using AME without the Max's accelerated H.264 encoding?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller