Latest post Mon, Jun 10 2013 5:35 PM by Shane Ross. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 8:29 PM

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 9 2013
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Best IO device for macbook pro thunderbolt

Hello,

Anyone out there have any experience with the Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express or AJA Io XT connected to Macbook pro via thunderbolt? Im looking for a way to have a stable feed to a client monitor while on-set. Thanks, N

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, i7, 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 8:55 PM In reply to

Re: Best IO device for macbook pro thunderbolt

No direct experience with either device, though I've had good experience in general with AJA so far.

Of note - do you only need monitoring?  Both Blackmagic (Ultrastudio Mini) and AJA (T-Tap) make Thunderbolt monitoring-only devices that cost a WHOLE lot less than the ones that add input capability.  Worth a look if that's all you need.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:09 PM In reply to

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Thanks, I took a look at the T-Tap and it looks like it will do what I need. I wonder if it has identical performance with regards to Scrubbing and frame delay compared to the AJA IO XT. 

Macbook Pro, 2.6 GHz, i7, 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 7 2013 12:38 AM In reply to

I have the AJA IoXT, and it is rock solid.  I tested the T-TAP and got the exact same performance from it.  I have the IoXT because I also capture.  But if you need output only, the T-Tap is good.

I also have the Decklink UltraStudio Mini Monitor for my laptop.  that works well too.  Cheapest output only option out there.  I use it because I plan on using RESOLVE, that only works on Decklink devices.

• Fri, Jun 7 2013 6:09 AM In reply to

• Nick
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 18
    • Points 180

Thanks Shane, the info is much appreciated. In your experience is there any difference between the Decklink UltraStudio Mini and T-Tap and can one still listen to the audio via headphones when either of these devices are attached? Thanks again

• Mon, Jun 10 2013 5:35 PM In reply to

Nope. When audio/video is sent to an IO device...that device holds onto it. Avid gives it and that's it...you can't monitor audio from the computer if IO is attached.  You have to monitor from the TV...or from the IO if it has that option. The AJA IoXT has a headphone jack.  That's what I rely on

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller