Latest post Tue, Jun 4 2013 3:22 PM by Red Ochre. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 12:17 AM

• Red Ochre
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 27 2006
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,230

multi mode vs. single mode fiber

I'm connecting two edit bays to a SAN. The computers and san have multi mode in but the IT dept of the institution ran single mode fiber to connect the SAN and computers. I'm concerned that this is critical error and that they should have run multi mode all around. I've looked around but have gotten the answer "maybe" as to wether this will work. Any thoghts?

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 1:04 AM In reply to

Re: multi mode vs. single mode fiber

The single mode cable is the in-wall cabling that connects room to the server room? In ther server room side you connect it to the FC switch? On the edit room side you use a FC patch cable to connect the edit computer?

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 3:44 AM In reply to

• Red Ochre
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,230

Yes. The infrastructure for the in-wall cabling is single mode I connect via mult-mode cable to the mac HBA (LSI logic). I'm running multi-mode cabling directly from the wall to the SFP of the LSI HBA (wow. Thta's a mouthful).

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 11:17 AM In reply to

Normally sending a multi-mode light down a single mode cable will cause signal degredation. You may not have the signal strength and stability to get proper connection. Your SFPs on the switch and LSI HBA are likely SR (short run) type. Your in-wall cabling will require a laser from a LR SFP.

They should really replace it. The difference between the two comes down to the length of the cable run needed. If the run is short enough, it should have been multi mode as it seems to be the most common for video post production for short runs. If they don't and you get signaling issues (disconnects, high latency, etc) then you can replace the SFPs and make sure any patch cable being utilized is also a single mode fiber.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 3:22 PM In reply to

• Red Ochre
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 335
    • Points 4,230

Thanks very much for the help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller